Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Everyday Rider > Why not a real windshield for cruisers?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 485

Posted 8/11/2011 9:39 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
A wind screen made out of saftey glass instead of plastic with a wiper with washer fluid like on cars? It would add weight for sure but on a Gold Wing, what's does the extra pounds matter? You can order a thinner material to lose weight. In a heavy down pour it would be nice to hide behind and still see the road.

Asphalt, the greatest tattoo remover.

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 8/12/2011 3:14 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It could also cause serious injury in an accident. Saftey or not,exposed skin and glass dont mix. Besides how else are you supposed to get clean if you cant take a little shower on the bike now and then. lol

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
track hack? 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc? who knows,cant decide....
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 8/12/2011 6:44 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ZX Rider said...

In a heavy down pour it would be nice to hide behind and still see the road.
In a really heavy downpour, you should pull over somewhere protected and STOP.

In less than a "downpour", a curved windscreen usually sheds the water fast enough so that it's not a problem.

Gone in 60
Lone Commuter of the Apocalypse

Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 657

Posted 8/12/2011 10:02 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
With most cruisers, to correctly adjust the windshield to minimize wind buffeting, you want to be looking just over the top of the shield. When I've got a full shield on my VTX, and when I've been caught in rain, the rain on the shield itself hasn't been much of an issue. Plus, like Easy Rider says, the rain pretty much rolls off the shield if you're moving.

Plus, any thickness of glass is going to be heavier than the plastic material they're made of now. If you used thin glass to save weight, you'd probably run the risk of a crack or shatter with a rock hit that would just put a small pit in a flexible plastic shield.

Work to ride, Ride to work
Honda VTX 1300R & 750 Nighthawk

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 8/12/2011 10:21 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It's an interesting thought, though. I was starting to visualize it inmy head, and on the surface it made sense. But then I read the counter-points and I must agree with them. I'm looking to put a taller shield on my FA as well because I live in a hostile, high-wind environment and I figure the extra protection would not be a bad thing. Well that and the fact that I got plunked in the head by a rock yesterday that put a pretty good chip in my EXO-1000. Darn it!

Problem is, the bike is so new there isn't really anything out there for it yet. I'll have to wait a bit, but I'm sure someone, if not Suzuki themselves will come up with one.

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 9/27/2011 11:48 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
A real windshield, might lead to beginners, also wanting windshield washer to wipers & then why not heater to air conditioners--------------which is a bit to much for they still have electric starting system & in the 40s most we had was a kickstarter & even that was a chore to so many others in those days.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 9/27/2011 12:10 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Glass windshield?

There is no problem with Hard coated Polycarbonate.

There is Anti fog treatment and RainX treatment, and venting.

We have been dealing with the most severe weather, forever...and it's no problem.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 9/28/2011 8:13 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have always cleaned my windshield, then applied a couple heavy coats of paste wax (Turtle Wax, RainDance, Mothers) and buffed each coating out. The rain just sheets right off. I do the same on my faceshield of my helmet. I tired RainX and didn't like the results at all, the rain simply formed little tiny beads that just sat on the windshiled and made it harder to see through.

Also, a properly fitted windshield has the rider just looking OVER the top edge, not looking through the windshield. So the combo of looking over the top edge and paste wax on the rest gives me more than adequate vision and protection in the tens of thousands of rain miles I have ridden. No wiper needed.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

GeoffG
Instant Classic

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 10791

Posted 9/28/2011 12:29 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have a glass windshield...on my car!

RaptorFA said...
...I'm looking to put a taller shield on my FA as well because I live in a hostile, high-wind environment and I figure the extra protection would not be a bad thing. Well that and the fact that I got plunked in the head by a rock yesterday that put a pretty good chip in my EXO-1000. Darn it!

Raptor, a taller windshield may not be the best thing for a "high-wind environment"...it may just provide more surface for the wind to grab...

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 9/29/2011 1:15 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
GeoffG said...
I have a glass windshield...on my car!

RaptorFA said...
...I'm looking to put a taller shield on my FA as well because I live in a hostile, high-wind environment and I figure the extra protection would not be a bad thing. Well that and the fact that I got plunked in the head by a rock yesterday that put a pretty good chip in my EXO-1000. Darn it!

Raptor, a taller windshield may not be the best thing for a "high-wind environment"...it may just provide more surface for the wind to grab...
Exactly, not that full boat Touring bikes like a Gold Wing aren't as Wind Shielded as a wind shield can get after all the accessory winglets get tacked on....But ....this hiding behind a windshield (Plastic or glass) is both nuts and not good.

And....it's not a fix-all....  Even with a Glass windshield in my car, with the windshild wipers and defrosters....they can be overwhelmed by a hard enough dump of rain, or a fog so thick, two feet in front of the car is blindness.

We have face shields on our helmets, and treatments for them, and our glasses, or goggles, and windshields....it works...if anything can work.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

martinjmpr
08 Triumph Scrambler

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 4681

Posted 9/30/2011 7:08 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Let's also consider the cost factor. Replacing a plexiglass windscreen is cheap compared to glass. And a rock that will take a tiny chip out of a plexiglass windshield will put a crack in a glass windshield that will require replacement.

Martin

Englewood, CO (Denver suburb)

UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) Fanatic

Previous Bikes:  '69 Honda CL450; '74 Honda CB750; '83 Honda 550 Nighthawk; '92 Yamaha Virago 1100; '83 Yamaha Maxim 750; '84 Kawasaki ZN700 LTD; '01 Triumph Thunderbird 900; '82 Kawasaki Spectre 750

Deacon Blues
The Imaginary Director

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 2946

Posted 9/30/2011 1:08 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Got rained on twice while riding the Beemer back to TX.

And I discovered something.

My old trick of turning my head to the side to let the wind clean off my faceshield? It didn't work.

Turns out that the fairing on the bike gives me enough of an air pocket that in order to get my face into the slipstream, I have to stand up on the pegs!

I also noted that, even in a downpour, the only parts of me that got wet were my helmet, my shoulders, and my feet.

I am starting to LIKE this "touring" design; it's a lot more protective than the cafe racer style flyscreen on the XS750, or the bodywork of the FZ700.

"Lane splitting will never be accepted in those areas where driving is considered a martial art."