Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Everyday Rider > Taking stones to the... stones  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Gone in 60
Lone Commuter of the Apocalypse

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 657

Posted 10/13/2011 11:36 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ok, this is just plain weird. They did some construction recently on one of the freeways I use to commute. Since then, traffic in front of me kicks up small pebbles here and there, which most typically hit me in the lower legs. Since I wear Sliders pants, which absorb much of the impact, they feel like a dull twinge. On the VTX, however, some of the little stones follow some weird airflow over or around my windshield somehow, and manage to hit me right in the... well, stones. I didn't know what it was at first. The sliders have good kevlar lining in that area, so it doesn't hurt much. But, every couple of days, when I get off of the bike, I'll notice a little pea-sized rock on my seat.

...weird!

Work to ride, Ride to work
Honda VTX 1300R & 750 Nighthawk

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 10/14/2011 8:14 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I fully expected a pic of keith richards on the back of your bike, gone.... lol

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
track hack? 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc? who knows,cant decide....
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

Gone in 60

Date Joined Jan 2008

Posted 10/14/2011 8:42 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I mentioned this occurance to the guys in my office. Might have been a mistake. The nicknames are getting interesting...

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 10/14/2011 8:49 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
<--- see the tag line..... seedless was my nickname as soon as I returned to work from my vasectomy.... Fellas at work never let up. Makes for a positive working environment.
That is a rather odd occurance,I would think it may have something to do with lean... I cleaned my airbox yesterday,somehow leaves got under my tank....  

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
track hack? 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc? who knows,cant decide....
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 10/17/2011 12:22 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Gotta wear a "cup" when riding to avoid taking a hit in the pills eh?

Maybe it would lead to a new episode on America's Funniest Videos, since they seem to relish a good hit in the jewels on that show.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

Gone in 60

Date Joined Jan 2008

Posted 10/17/2011 2:23 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thankfully, kevlar lined pants take the sting away for the little rocks. Anything big enough to hurt would probably come through the windshield rather than around it...

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 10/21/2011 1:27 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, thankfully you are covered and not taking any damage, but how's the bike doing? Are you seeing any chips or dings in the paint, parts etc? I do wish they would do a better job of cleaning up after themselves after things like this. They are paving sections of highway around here too (finally) and the mess they are leaving behind is pretty bad. I rode past an entire front nose piece of a car this morning. They just threw it against the center divider and left it there! I want to write to someone and bring this up, but I am not really sure who to write to just yet. It's hard enough trying to keep your machine in good condition without having the deck stacked against you like this. You would never see this kind of thing years ago. People are just getting lazy... 

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

Gone in 60

Date Joined Jan 2008

Posted 10/24/2011 8:44 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That's the weird part, Raptor. there's no paint damage on the bike. I'm really careful about the appearance of my bikes. I've got that heavy clear vinyl cling protector stuff on the front end of the gas tank to prevent stone chips. I can feel little rocks hitting my shins mostly, but you'd think that something that can hit around the seat would hit the gas tank somehow. I can't explain it. I have gotten a few pits in my windshield.

They're doing nightly construction on this particular freeway, and they run a sweeper truck through the area, but there's a joint in the pavement where rocks probably hide, and get kicked up by the cars in front of me.

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 10/24/2011 1:12 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Huh. That is strange. Most excellent that your bike is emerging unscathed, but strange. Keep wearing those pants, brother!  smilewinkgrin

They have finally cleaned up a bit up here. The nose section was gone this morning, as was some other items that were left in the center divide that have ben there for a while. The only thing left now is all the pebbles from the pave work; it looks like the marbles you would see off of the racing line during an event. They are just sweeping this debris to the center divide area and leaving it there. At this point I would be somewhat hesitant to venture in there in the event of an emergency or whatever. I bet that stuff is pretty slippery! I am hopeful that when they are finished with the job they will make a pass or two and sweep that up as well. We'll see...    

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe