Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Everyday Rider > Miles and Miles and... Tires!!  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 11/6/2011 5:33 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, the odometer clicked over 8,000 miles this week. 8,000 miles. Seems like just last week I was picking the FA up. It was time for some TLC so off to the dealer she went for a maintenance cycle. I got a bit of a surprise though when they called and told me that my tires were in need of replacement. The front was termed as "scary". I check my tires pretty regular so I was of the mind that they were just trying to sell me some tires! I told them to just complete the maintenance and we could talk tires when I got there to pick up.

When I got there we went out and took a look together and I must say my ignorance about motorcycle tires was pretty evident! I mean, I had an idea that the tires were falling off because of some of the things I was seing and feeling lately. The front was definitely not as responsive as it use to be and it did look like it was wearing for sure, but I was not looking near hard enough. The thing was all cupped and the wear was past the bars. The cupping was the thing I basically overlooked. I guess I was under the impression that I would get closer to 10,000 out of them and the rear would go long before the front, but after some research I have learned that this is the trend with these Bridgestone Batlax BT-021s. And the BT-023s are even worse.

I decided it was time for a change so I went the Metzeler Roadtech Interact Z8. I just did the front to start (I still have meat on the rear but will change it in a couple weeks) but the difference is amazing. I did an easy 50  to burn that glaze off and then worked it out a little bit. All I can say is wow. The level of grip is better than the BT-021, but it's the feel of transition at turn in that the difference is most felt. It's very positive and precise. This tire inspires a lot of confidence. And straight line stability is great. It's going to be off the charts when I get the rear on. I just never realized there could be such a difference between tires. I mean, the BT-021s were really good, they just didn't age well! The Metezlers are going to provide an improved experience and I'm told a longer life cycle. A nice upgrade indeed.  

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

louemc
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 11/6/2011 6:34 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Metzeler Roadtec Interacts are my favorite now. I've posted on BARF about them several times.

The Z6's are the rain tire. You might ask Mototireguy, what he thinks of putting a Z6 on the back to get you through the rainy season...and then replaing it with a Z8 come next rear tire change, And have Z8's at both ends till the front gets replaced (which I'll bet is another Z8, at that time)

Focus the forces, Be The Force

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 11/6/2011 8:43 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
louemc said...
The Z6's are the rain tire. You might ask Mototireguy, what he thinks of putting a Z6 on the back to get you through the rainy season...
Lou, I think that would be a pretty darn good idea. Not only will the Z6 tread pump more water the compound is said to be more suitable for wet conditions, yet it's still in the family so feel will be OK. If I didn't know any better I would say you have done this before... lol  lol

We will have the conversation.

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 11/7/2011 10:57 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There are variables to whether or not it's a good idea or not. How you use your front brake and throttle in area's of cornering...and how long a rear tire is going to last you, and the weather you will ride in.

I can't make a call on any of that...so...suggested Mototireguys,input.

I have put the Z6's to the water test, that was just off the chart, intense. Getting caught under a storm cell in the Sierra, that dumped water so heavy, everything lost definition at moments. Didn't matter if it was road or ditch or cliff or rock wall, or trees....there were moments when there was so much water on the ground and in the air...it all looked the same. Lighning would reflect off the wet road, (being a flat surface) differently than anything else..that helped. lol

In all that (and remember it's a twisty mountain road)  the Z6's didn't flinch...no slip, no slide, no unhooking of any degree.

When these need replacing, I will have Z8's mounted up....so I can compare them....but ai gotta say,the Z6's have passed some very tough "tests".  One was tree bending side winds in Nevada, and the bike was so unaffected...the only indication of the wind gusts, was the trees bending.

Post Edited (louemc) : 11/7/2011 6:03:46 PM GMT

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 11/7/2011 2:02 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well Sir, that is a strong endorsement for the Z6. I do not "plan" on being in anything near that type of water condition. That's just crazy, man! freaked  But in the mountains things can turn on you quick. And given where I always seem to end up, It's conceivable that I may find myself in similar circumstances. So never say never!

As far as my braking etc., I think I'm doing pretty good in that respect. After 8,000 I still have over 80 per cent of my brakes left (almost dead even split fron/rear), so that isn't bad. I know I was probably a bit crude technique-wise when I first started but I feel like I have gotten much smoother as the time and miles have clicked on. I still have a long way to go but so far so good. The important thing is that I do not appear to be abusing the equipment. They said that everything looked good and any adjustments that were made were minor.

It will be interesting to see what mototireguy thinks of this Z6 rear idea.   

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 11/15/2011 3:10 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Angels,pirelli angels. 8k aint bad at all rap. Keep an eye on tires as confidence increases,the wear increases.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc on order baby.... march 2012
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 11/15/2011 9:52 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
el SID said...
Angels,pirelli angels. 8k aint bad at all rap. Keep an eye on tires as confidence increases,the wear increases.

Yessir, copy that. I think I may have abused the front a little learning how to be smooth, so I believe I must take some responsibility for the front's early departure! OEM tires, of course, never quite behave like their aftermarket brothers, so that was certainly a part of it. Still and all, I think I agree that 8K isn't too shabby all things considered. But I think you are spot-on about the confidence/wear equation. Its funny how the fangs and claws will come out when you know you have good rubber underneath ya! I've had to dial it back a few times already because the bike was just sticking and I was lovin it! devil 

Really glad that the Angels are working out for you. I may have to look into those next time around. For what I'm doing these Metzelers seem to be a good fit. However, I reserve the right to change my mind and put some Angels on next time around! lol

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 11/17/2011 2:50 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Woo-Hoo, got the rear mounted up today. Now the set is complete. Man, what a difference. yeah   Lou, after some discussion with mototireguy, I decided to go with the Z8 in the rear to match the front. The secret to the Z8 over the Z6 is in the compound; I am told the Z8 compound will provide better wet grip over the Z6, as it is more of a Silica base. And personally I love the tread pattern. So we'll get that glaze off it and then put it to the test, now that I have a complete set. My initial impression after a short freeway run is WOW! Stability and feel is off the charts compared to the BT-021. This machine was very smooth before; now it's just wonderful. She rolls so well now that I believe I might even get better fuelly. I'm gonna watch it over the next few tanks and see what the numbers turn out to be. I also can't wait to use up a little sidewall!

Never under-estimate the power of good rubber...

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 11/17/2011 5:38 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
RaptorFA said...

Woo-Hoo, got the rear mounted up today. Now the set is complete. Man, what a difference. yeah   Lou, after some discussion with mototireguy, I decided to go with the Z8 in the rear to match the front. The secret to the Z8 over the Z6 is in the compound; I am told the Z8 compound will provide better wet grip over the Z6, as it is more of a Silica base. And personally I love the tread pattern. So we'll get that glaze off it and then put it to the test, now that I have a complete set. My initial impression after a short freeway run is WOW! Stability and feel is off the charts compared to the BT-021. This machine was very smooth before; now it's just wonderful. She rolls so well now that I believe I might even get better fuelly. I'm gonna watch it over the next few tanks and see what the numbers turn out to be. I also can't wait to use up a little sidewall!

Never under-estimate the power of good rubber...

Good to hear,  Actually, I wasn't comfortable with my wondering about mixing the tires..but I wasn't comfortable about a possibility of your spinning up a Z8 in a very wet street corner...so...wanted MotoTireGuys input on this.

Now I can be comfy.  I'll be trying the Z8's next yeah

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 11/17/2011 8:03 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I appreciate the concern, Sir. I thought the Z6 rear was a good idea, and even mototireguy didn't nix it, he just really likes the compound and the construction of the Z8. Interesting thing about the Z6 is that the middle of the rear tire is clean; the Z8 has a nice channeling tread pattern in the middle of the rear and the front is extremely nice all around. They look very clean on the bike, which is just a nice bonus. I think that if you do go with these you will definitely not be disappointed! Of course I'm just a noob, so I don't have a lot to compare things to! lol  but they sure feel good to me.

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe