Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Everyday Rider > Farewell to another riding season  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Show Newest Post First ]

touringbikers-joe
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2011
Total Posts : 10

Posted 11/28/2011 3:12 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I'm sad to say our summer is gone....

The long, hot, sunny days of riding through the country-side on our touring bikes, are behind us.

motorcycle roads ohio route 260, southern s turns

The days of riding new motorcycle roads like boys collecting their baseball cards is put to rest for yet another season.

I started out in early spring on motorcycle roads, Ohio Route 513.

I rode long and hard, throughout the rest of the summer, with The Cabot Trail Nova Scotia in the middle of it all.

And finished out the season riding Motorcycle Roads Ohio Route 800 on my way to Cambridge Ohio, to watch a football game with friends.

Parking the bike back in the garage, I thought to myself that this would probably be the last ride of the season.

I hate to finalize things.

Last year I got in a nice long ride to Jefferson County Ohio on New Years Eve Day.

But the odds of that happening again are slim.

The weather man predicts colder temps next week and Christmas is right around the corner.

Just turn on the TV and you'll see a million commercials for all that winter BS.

The leaves have fallen....

The geese have flown....

Black Friday is behind us.....

And so I think I must reluctantly plug in Silver to the battery charger for her long winter's nap.

Before long I'll be staring out the window at this.....

winter sucks snow covered trees

However pretty it may look, A touring bikers response will alway be WINTER SUCKS!!!

http://www.touringbikers.com/biker-blogs.html

www.touringbikers.com, It's not the Destination.....It's the Journey!

It's not the destination.......It's the Journey.

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 11/28/2011 7:45 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
touringbikers-joe said...

However pretty it may look, A touring bikers response will alway be WINTER SUCKS!!!

Winter in central Florida isn't too bad !! :-)

Come on down. 

'06 Suzuki S50 (VS800)
'07 Honda Shadow VLX 600

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 11/28/2011 11:22 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Going for a ride here in about 90 minutes.

Northern California.

Mid 60's, lots of sun, changing leaves on the vineyards are gorgeous.

Selling my one owner '97 TL1000S: www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372346

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 11/28/2011 2:43 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Second pic warms my blood and makes my pulse race,thinking about this....

Looks good to me....bring it on...

Best bike out is the one Im on,sod the rest lmao
current hacks

1996 honda vfr
2012 tuono rsv4 aprc on order baby.... march 2012
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 11/29/2011 10:33 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Welcome to the forum, Joe! Nice way to introduce yourself. I look forward to reading about your rides.

SID, nice shots, dude! You  have inspired me to do a little street sledding so I jumped on my Spyder today!  smile  Glad I did too, 'cuz the weather around here today is awful. Wet and ZERO vis. Good for street sleddin' tho! smilewinkgrin

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

touringbikers-joe
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2011

Posted 11/29/2011 2:02 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
easy rider 2, thanks for the invite. One of these years I may take you up on that.

GAJ...I'm jealous!!

el SID, your pics remind me of my Michigan days. I do have a pair of skis I'll break out and hit Seven Springs a couple of times....no sleds though ;)

RaptorFA, thanks for the welcome. How do you like that Syder? I saw a lot of them on the road this summer.

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 11/29/2011 3:04 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Welcome TBJ; it was indeed a marvelous ride over brand new twistypavement, with plenty of convenient passing zones, from the Napa Valley over to Middletown and back on 29.

Sorry I forgot to take my camera though!

Selling my one owner '97 TL1000S: www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372346

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 11/29/2011 4:17 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
tbj yeah we michiganders like a good snow.... lol

Best bike out is the one Im on,sod the rest lmao
current hacks

1996 honda vfr
2012 tuono rsv4 aprc on order baby.... march 2012
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

Bullet
That guy

Date Joined Apr 2008
Total Posts : 720

Posted 11/29/2011 6:39 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I put the bike away at the end of October. This has been an interesting riding season to say the least. Had the Z1000 out in Utah and loved riding the canyons. Fate stepped in and I was to move to Detroit. Sold the Z but never made it to Detroit, landed back where I grew up in N.E. Ohio. Found another bike and bought that. I got a few rides in, enjoyed myself and although they're not canyons i'm riding anymore, it still feels good. See what next Spring brings.

"Of all the things i've lost, I miss my mind the most!"

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 11/30/2011 9:33 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
touringbikers-joe said...
RaptorFA, thanks for the welcome. How do you like that Syder? I saw a lot of them on the road this summer.
I really like the Spyder a lot, Sir. They are a hoot to ride! Takes some getting used to, as the dynamics of proper riding technique are completely different than a motorcycle. It's much more physical than it looks, but that to me is the fun part about it. Your body becomes a critical part of the equation, and once you understand the forces at work you can leverage that and really have fun. I can make the machine go lateral now using no steering input at all!

The machine itself can be a bit fickle because there is a lot of technology engineered into it and it's a bit maintenance intensive, but so far mine has been very good and has suffered no major malfuntions. The V990 is a great engine, and even though it revs a bit higher than you would expect from a litre V-Twin which can make it a little "buzzy", over-all performance is really pretty good. I have upgraded the suspension components to improve handling over the stock stuff as well. I like my FA much better, but the Spyder provides a unique experience and it does really well in bad weather. I ride the Sport model, btw, not the heavy touring model.  

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

MotoMan1
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2012
Total Posts : 7

Posted 1/17/2012 6:09 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ok for those in wintery weather, how do you keep your bike from not freezing? I've heard of just turning it on once in a while, but is that good enough? I'm guessing there are some battery suggested tips to make sure it doesn't die in hibernation. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

touringbikers-joe
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2011

Posted 1/18/2012 3:01 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The only thing I do is park it in the garage and plug in the battery tender. I do go out and start it every once in a while, but I think that's more for me than the bike.