Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Everyday Rider > Right after you detail your bike...  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Gone in 60
Lone Commuter of the Apocalypse

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 657

Posted 12/12/2011 1:16 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I love a really clean bike. Hard to manage when you ride daily, but I try.

Saturday, after giving my bike it's monthly cleaning, waxing and detailing, I jumped on and headed out for a ride. 15 minutes later, on the freeway, an old van in front of me blew its transmission and sprayed a nice mist of tranny juice all over me and my nice clean bike.

At least the trans fluid might make a nice leather preservative for my jacket...

Such is life.

Work to ride, Ride to work
Honda VTX 1300R & 750 Nighthawk

GAJ
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 12/12/2011 1:26 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Used Pledge on one of my bikes for the very first time.

Does a great job!

Gone in 60

Date Joined Jan 2008

Posted 12/12/2011 1:37 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
For the cruiser, I still like good 'ole wax and metal polish. I friend gave me a bunch of Motul spray cleaner/wax, and spray for the plastic. That shines it up nice and easy. I've heard of people using Pledge and getting good results, but haven't tried it yet.

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 12/12/2011 3:31 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Could have gone worse... You could have dumped it on the transfluid.

Best bike out is the one Im on,sod the rest lmao
current hacks

1996 honda vfr
2012 tuono rsv4 aprc on order baby.... march 2012
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125 I have broken her back. I feel guilty. she may have to be laid to rest.

Gone in 60

Date Joined Jan 2008

Posted 12/12/2011 4:03 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, there wasn't really a puddle of fluid - just a grey cloud full of it that managed to be wider and taller than me and my bike. Just enough to get pretty much everywhere. Even so, I didn't make any sudden movements to get away from it.

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 12/14/2011 10:19 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Wow, Gone, you have been having the adventures lately! I am very glad to hear that you made it out of that unscathed. It was probably a good thing that you held your line and just got through the cloud. Sucks about the mess, though. That was Murphy's law at work no doubt! I just hope that tranny fluid didn't eat into the paint or anything. I think you should be OK though. Just more cleaning to do.  Did any of your gear get ruined? That stuff can be a bear to get out of clothing.

I tried some pledge just recently and was quite surprised by how well it did! BTW, how is your back doing these days? Hope you are feeling better...

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

Gone in 60

Date Joined Jan 2008

Posted 12/14/2011 11:35 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yup, Raptor, I guess you could call them adventures... the L.A. freeways tend to throw a lot of different situations at you. In this case, old, poorly maintained cars. Most of my other situations have involved innatentive drivers - we have way too many of them out here! The tranny fluid didn't hurt anything, but the tough part was that I couldn't do anything about it right away. I was on my way downtown to do some volunteer work at a car museum, then head down to the big international motorcycle show in Long Beach. Which meant that I had a whole day and night, and about 120 miles before I could get to cleaning up.

Luckily, the car museum lent me some microfiber towels to clean my windshield and helmet face shield so I could see at night for the ride home. Doused the helmet and bike in Mother's detail spray and it all wiped off. Doused my leaher jacket in leather cleaner spray, and it cleaned up after a few applications. Luckily I wore that and not my textile yellow jacket - no telling if that would have cleaned up or not.

Thanks for asking about my back - much better now! My wife knows a physical therapist, who taught me some great back stretching exercises. Weened off the 800 mg Ibuprofen, and back on both bikes. Just a dull twinge when I ride the VTX, but nothing much.

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 12/14/2011 2:24 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Excellent news all the way 'round. Very glad to hear you are feeling better. Gotta love the Mother's products. I know I do. Back in the day we used to coat the nose of the race car with tranny fluid to keep the mud and dirt from sticking and causing overheat problems. Worked pretty well too!

I know what you mean about the drivers on slab, man. I rode by a bike down wreck just this morning out on 101. Didn't look very good. So stay safe out there, buddy. I'm out there with ya, just a wee bit North! :-)

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

Gone in 60

Date Joined Jan 2008

Posted 12/14/2011 5:59 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You stay safe too! Especially with the holiday season, everyone is more distracted than ever. Never heard of using trans fluid as a dirt deflector - makes sense though!

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 12/14/2011 9:24 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Ya, Mahn! On the way home I rode by the darndest thing. This semi flat trailer rig managed to run himself clean off of 280. And I had me a day at the job, so I said to heck with this slab, man. I'm headin for the hills. I knew it was gonna be cold up there and it could be a challenge but I had a bit of an edge on me so up I went!

Man, I don't know what it was but I was seeing the road and my line so well it was kind of sureal. Just a tad wet in a few spots but good conditions, really. That cold air felt good and for some unexplained reason I had this beautiful stretch of twisties all to myself; exactly what I needed. Just a nice, easy groove with nice pace. And then that incredible break out of the trees to a fire-lit Ocean scape. It was a great escape. Tomorrow, it's back to the slab!   

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

Gone in 60

Date Joined Jan 2008

Posted 12/15/2011 11:37 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Man, I wish I had an escape route like that. I'm solid urban between work and home. My only alternative to the freeway is busier city streets. Yuck.

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 12/15/2011 2:18 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I know. I consider myself extraordinarily blessed to have this incredible range within reach. Mr. Hough actually spoke of it briefly in his book "Proficient Motorcycling". He rode this very run with a group of riders during the time he was writing the book, ate at Alice's and everything! It made my eyes light up a bit when I saw that. But as the Winter tightens its grip that area will become more and more dangerous, so I'm squeezing in the last few runs that I can. The Spyder can still get there though, so barring a big snow or ice storm I shall not be denied! smilewinkgrin  Had a pretty scary spin-out on the Spyder up there last year... 

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

Gone in 60

Date Joined Jan 2008

Posted 12/16/2011 10:45 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Man, that's it - I'm gonna stop trying to keep my bike clean! Yesterday, I rode the VTX to work - the first day riding it since re-detailing it to get all of the tranny fluid out of it. Isolated rain storm after work.

It started raining hard the minute I got on the bike to head home, and it stopped raining as I was turning onto my street.

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 12/16/2011 10:45 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Dude, that is freakin hilarious that you say that. The same thing has happened to me at least twice in the last couple of months! They predicted rain and it waited until THE MINUTE I started mounting up to actually start. Then I would get clobbered the whole way home and as an added bonus I would not even get quite parked and it would let up or stop completely!

But I'm like you when it comes to bike cleanliness so clean on I do. You know yer gonna too! smilewinkgrin

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

Hellfighter
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2007
Total Posts : 201

Posted 12/22/2011 7:34 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Gone in 60 said...
Man, that's it - I'm gonna stop trying to keep my bike clean! Yesterday, I rode the VTX to work - the first day riding it since re-detailing it to get all of the tranny fluid out of it. Isolated rain storm after work.

It started raining hard the minute I got on the bike to head home, and it stopped raining as I was turning onto my street.

We've had nothing but rain this summer. Only 2 days of sunshine since the season change. I don't bother cleaning the Trumpy. The photo below pretty much sums up our summer here:

On Iron Horse He Gladly Dies

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 12/22/2011 8:19 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
D@mn houndog! brutal conditions. If I were really daft,I could still be riding. There isnt a hint of snow anywhere. Rainin like hell though.

Best bike out is the one Im on,sod the rest lmao
current hacks

1996 honda vfr
2012 tuono rsv4 aprc on order baby.... march 2012
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125 I have broken her back. I feel guilty. she may have to be laid to rest.

Gone in 60

Date Joined Jan 2008

Posted 12/23/2011 1:30 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Wow. That is brutal.

It was really windy here in So Cal yesterday, so my bike got a little dusty. Waaaaaahhhhh!

Richard47
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 5552

Posted 12/24/2011 3:42 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
We had a summer like that at times. Brilliant spring and fall though, warmest October on record and mild until recently. And the good thing is the days are getting longer, soon be spring! 

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

Hellfighter
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2007
Total Posts : 201

Posted 12/24/2011 6:48 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Our last summer was similar. Doesn't look like summer is cancelled after all though as the skies have opened up! Now whilst everyone is doing their Christmas thing I have managed to give the Speedmaster her yearly clean :).

On Iron Horse He Gladly Dies