Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Newbies! > Best Bike For A New Rider  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
84 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3  4 
[ | Show Newest Post First ]

BIG MARK 4 SHO
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2007
Total Posts : 4

Posted 10/10/2007 5:34 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I AM A BIKE ENTHUSIASTWHO IS FAMILIAR WITH THEM BUT HAS NEVER RIDDEN ONE . WHEN I SAY FAMILIAR I MEAN WITH SPECS & WHAT NOT . MY QUESTION TO YOU GUYS OR GALS OUT THERE IS I WANT A MOTORCYCLE BUT I DONT HAVE MONEY TO GET A SMALL BIKE nono & THEN TURN AROUND & GET SOMETHING ELSE LATERyeah ! WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST I DO ? MY BROTHER-N-LAW IS OFFERING ME HIS KAWASAKI 636 ITS A 2005 .jumpin WHAT DO I DO ?

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 17674

Posted 10/10/2007 5:41 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
First, find that caps lock key and turn it off. It's considered very rude to post in capital leters.

Second, try reading some of the posts with topics similar to this one. We've answered all these questions a hundred times, and discussed the answers to death.

I will say this: that's a very bad choice for a first bike. Not the worst possible choice, but still a bad one. Trust me, for I've actually ridden them since 1969, and you have not. What money you may lose is peanuts compared to what one minor accident costs on a 636, and new riders always have at leas one minor accident.

"When in doubt, ride."
Cadd................................Clovis CA
2004 Nomad 1500............"Baggins"
caddmannq at yahoo dot com

BIG MARK 4 SHO
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2007

Posted 10/10/2007 5:51 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
idea the caps lock is off & i hear what you are saying ! thanks a lot ! taken to the head not to the heart ! turn

BIG MARK 4 SHO
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2007

Posted 10/15/2007 11:52 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I live in the south & a lot of people ride bikes here, so when i say this its not to offend anyone. Its nice to say start out on a small bike but down here they dont give you much on trade-ins nono  & that's a fact . So would a zzr-600 be something to start out on after you've taken a motorcycle safety course . idea

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 17674

Posted 10/17/2007 9:25 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Why would you trade it in? Newbie bikes are bought & sold between newbies. Start on a used bike & spend some time learing to maintain & fix it. This ability puts you much more in tune with your machine. This is so much more important than with cars, where a mechanical problem isn't as likely to kill you.

"When in doubt, ride."
Cadd................................Clovis CA
2004 Nomad 1500............"Baggins"
caddmannq at yahoo dot com

BIG MARK 4 SHO
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2007

Posted 10/18/2007 6:23 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I hear what you are saying but you still did not answer my question & that was would a zzr600 be cool to start out on after you've taken the motorcycle safety course . If so what do you recommend. Would a used 600 be o.k.shocked confused

95magna
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2007
Total Posts : 15

Posted 10/29/2007 8:59 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
smilewinkgrin It's better to get a bike that one can ride to its full potential rather than get a bike that will never reach it's full potential (safely). freaked

Post Edited (95magna) : 10/30/2007 5:32:56 AM GMT

Fee Simple
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2007
Total Posts : 1

Posted 11/18/2007 10:36 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am a newb and will be buying a bike in a few months. If I want to eventually be able to ride the new v-max that will be coming out, is there one bike that would be better to start with than another?

lionlady
-----Mistress of Novices. -Total miles: 85,000+

Date Joined Sep 2003
Total Posts : 2759

Posted 12/8/2007 6:22 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Fee Simple said...
I am a newb and will be buying a bike in a few months. If I want to eventually be able to ride the new v-max that will be coming out, is there one bike that would be better to start with than another?
Maybe a cruiser style. Doesn't matter, metric or or otherwise. On a cruiser you could go higher in cc displacement. But be careful of too much WEIGHT. That is the thing that surprises most newbies while they're learning. The key is to master the BASICS first. Then all is "transferrable" to any other machine, you'll just need to take some time learning the feel of the one you're on.

P

ATGATT: Because walking away in disgust, beats riding away in an ambulance.

lionlady

Date Joined Sep 2003

Posted 12/8/2007 6:25 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
BIG MARK 4 SHO said...
I hear what you are saying but you still did not answer my question & that was would a zzr600 be cool to start out on after you've taken the motorcycle safety course . If so what do you recommend. Would a used 600 be o.k.shocked confused
No a zzr600 is NOT a good starter bike. As for a used 600cc... a 600 cc WHAT? Not a sportbike.

Just get something in a "universal Japanese motorcycle (UJM) up to 70 hp, about 450 lbs, up to 500 cc. Remember you're likely to sell in 6 months, so pretty isn't critical. Just running and mechanically sound. (A safety inspection is ALWAYS a good idea when buying used.)

P

cas
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 1

Posted 1/11/2008 2:55 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
HELP!  I am 5'1" tall, 105 pound woman. A friend gave me an older Yamaha 400 that values around $750.00. It is way to high off the ground for me. I am looking to replace it with an older model cruser that will allow my feet to be flat and firm to the ground. I would like to stay in the $700.00 range. Could you sugest makes and models to get me stated on my serch? Thank You.

je2000
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2008
Total Posts : 25

Posted 3/11/2008 11:25 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Now I'm even more confused. Reviews written by this own site recommend the FZ6, the SV650, the Ninja 650r, Honda 600 Hornet, etc.

This thread seems to sway riders away from those bikes, even though everywhere else online I see these bikes being called great beginner bikes.

The only thing keeping me away from the 650r and the fz6 is the price and mpg ratings. For those two reasons I'm probably going for a Ninja 250/500.

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 3/11/2008 11:42 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
je2000 said...
Now I'm even more confused. Reviews written by this own site recommend the FZ6, the SV650, the Ninja 650r, Honda 600 Hornet, etc.

This thread seems to sway riders away from those bikes, even though everywhere else online I see these bikes being called great beginner bikes.

The only thing keeping me away from the 650r and the fz6 is the price and mpg ratings. For those two reasons I'm probably going for a Ninja 250/500.
opinions/experiences vary...there's no 1 or 2 or 3 bikes that's perfect for newbies.  as i've said all along, the best bike for you to start on is the you feel the most confident and comfortable with it regardless of what anyone says.

sandmanfvr
2007 Honda Shadow VLX Deluxe

Date Joined Oct 2007
Total Posts : 161

Posted 3/11/2008 12:49 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have posted this around with pride, but my new VLX 600cc Shadow is plenty for me and I don't plan to sell. Have had it up to 70 mph and it didn't flench to get me up there and I am 5' 9" and 280lbs. I am going to lose but still, this bike can handle me and haul some but. If you are going cruiser, get you a VLX to start on.

gorillarider
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008
Total Posts : 9

Posted 3/14/2008 8:18 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well...I say go get what you want...its YOUR money and YOUR life. I have had a few bikes in my lifetime, mostly 600 to 700cc Yamaha's. I am getting the brand new 2008 Honda CBR 1000RR...and I cant wait

je2000
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2008
Total Posts : 25

Posted 3/14/2008 8:36 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
gorillarider said...
Well...I say go get what you want...its YOUR money and YOUR life. I have had a few bikes in my lifetime, mostly 600 to 700cc Yamaha's. I am getting the brand new 2008 Honda CBR 1000RR...and I cant wait

I totally agree, as long as you're not taking other people out of the gene pool with your irresponsible actions. Totally not saying you're irresponsible, you seem to have taken a responsible route with bikes. A coworker today was like "omigod, don't die! my friends uncle got into a really bad accident on a bike!" I asked, "well what kind of bike was it?" They said "I dunno, it wasn't like a harley, but one of those crotch rocket types." I then asked, did you know if it was really fast? She said "Yeah I think he said it went to like 160".

Yikes....Most cars won't go that fast. I told her that I was starting out on the equivalent of a Honda Civic, and he had the equivalent of a Corvette with a turbocharger with nitrous oxide boost. I found out the guy hadn't been riding longer than about 2 years. Yes he was older and has real world traffic experience, but still. I'm 27, and I know I could handle a fast car, say a Corvette...my buddy has a MazdaSpeed6 pretty tricked out, faster than any stock corvette that's for sure. I could handle that. But put me in a Lamborghini? Haha! Yeah right! I'd probably insist to drive barefoot, for fear of stepping too much on the gas!

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'm pretty much dead set on the Ninja 500. I went to my first dealership the other day. Tried on a Scoprion Exo-700. Awesome. Will be ordering that soon. Didn't sit on, but saw the Ninja 500 in person. Looks pretty managable, and powerful. Even compared to the bigger bikes around. Upright position, decent power for a guy 200 lbs and 6 foot. Great MPG which is important as I'm selling my car, and will be using this bike solely for transportation, rain or shine in good ole' Austin Texas. I've seen some tank bag and saddlebag options for this bike, which is great. Sure it's no Vstrom650, (which I was looking at, but it's not "beginner enough" and it's too expensive), but I believe it could tour for a few hours. We could make a trip out to Houston or DFW and back to Austin in a day. Texas highways are pristine compared to north Jersey.

Yeah, I want this bike. My only experience on two wheels has been driving a 50cc honda scooter from Nice to Monaco and back, and riding around Cozumel, Mexico on the same type of scooter. But you know what? I'm taking the MSF course in late April here in Jersey, and I'm secretly afraid I'll fall in love with and want to buy a cruiser instead!

gorillarider
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008
Total Posts : 9

Posted 3/14/2008 8:50 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
LOL!!! I too am getting the Scoprion Exo-700, I am getting the "Crackhead Red" one. I will basically learn how to ride this motorcycle when I go to pick it up and ride it home. I will be riding roughly 3 hrs learning this machine that could very easily kill me. I will be very careful until I am sure of everything about me and the bike are on the same page...lol

>>This new member obviously hasn't read the sticky threads. Or believes they don't apply to him. - mod

Post Edited By Moderator (lionlady) : 5/12/2008 4:17:19 PM GMT

Drumman129
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008
Total Posts : 3

Posted Yesterday 8:13 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I bought a 81 Honda GL500 Silverwing a few weeks ago as my first bike. I only gave $400 for it, it runs well, just needs some tlc. I love it. It isn't too big, and it feels really comfortable. Plus no one knows about them so its fun to explain it to people.

sombo
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2008
Total Posts : 35

Posted 5/4/2008 1:46 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I don't own a bike yet, in fact I don't even have my license yet. But all that will change this summer if I can get a loan for a bike. The reason I'm going new is because about 90% of the used bikes for sale in my area seem to be Harley's and I'm not ready for one of those nor are most in my price range.

With that said this is what I did in my mind when looking at what bike I was going to try and get for my first motorcycle. I made a list of what I wanted out of a bike.

Price. This was a major concern with me since I don't have alot of money to throw around nor do I have the best credit score which limits me in what I can afford. So I chose to look in the <$4000 range for a bike. I looked at what used ones were available for this range and wasn't sure about alot of them. The problem I had with the used market was that most were being sold by owners who would want the money upfront. Sorry, I don't have $1000 let alone $4000 on tap to just lay down in an instant. So I had to look at dealerships who could give me financing. That lead me to looking at the new bike lineup of the major companies. I found 6 bikes in that range: 2 from honda and kawasaki, and 1 each from suzuki and yamaha. I didn't include the dual sports because I didn't like the sound, look, seat hight, and I wasn't really interested in going off road.

Comfort. This was also a big factor to me. I didn't see the point of getting a bike that's uncomfortable to ride. Being comfortable allows you to have fun on a bike and not wanting to get off after a few minutes ride.

Ease of use. Can't have fun on a bike if it's hard to work the different components. This lead me to start reading up on the bikes to see what both testing professionals and regular riders had to say about them.

Reliability. If you have to constantly get work done on the bike then it's not worth having. The more a bike spends in the shop the less time you're spending on the road and the more your spending out of your pocket. Both of those lead to more frustration and less fun.

Highway capability. I know this one seems a bit odd for a newbie. However, in my area at some point I'm going to have to use the highways because it's so spread out. I live in North Eastern Pennsylvania which is mostly rolling mountains and most of the interesting sites are quite spread out being linking by highways of 70+mph speeds. So I knew I would need a bike that could handle that without dieing or scaring the life out of me after 5 seconds. This took out the 125cc kawi eliminator instantly. (eliminator = eliminated). That left 5 bikes that could reach that mark.

Value for my money. This comes down to what alot of the reviews from online sites, magazines, and other riders had to say about the 5 bikes. After reading several reviews on how bad the honda nighthawk was with brakes, handling, lack of power compared to the other 250's, and the fact it had the highest seat hight, it was the first to go. Then slowly one by one I read more and more on the pros vs cons of each of the 4 remaining bikes. So far the Ninja had them all in price, it also had them in power, speed, handling, and reliability. The little Ninja was winning me over with each review.

I did have agree with alot of people that the little Ninja was outdated, and needed a face lift. I was also upset that in other parts of the world they had gotten the ZZR250 and the ZX-2 which were updated and more advanced versions of the little Ninja that the US would never get. Then Kawasaki did something I think few expected and did a serious redesign of the 250 and solved the outdated dilemma. They also managed to keep the price competitive with the other 250's still out there.

So in the end it's the 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r that has grabbed my attention for my first bike. In all that I can find of it, it shows to be the best value for my dollar and also the best starter bike in general. It meets all of my needs, and even surpasses some of them in the end.

Look for me later this year to be on one after I complete the driver safety course here in PA that's offered by Penndot. It's the same course as the MSF, only this is run by the state and free to Pennsylvania drivers.

I apologize for such a long post. I thought maybe my way of choosing my first bike would help others in finding the right bike for them.

lionlady

Date Joined Sep 2003

Posted 5/12/2008 9:20 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
cas said...
HELP!  I am 5'1" tall, 105 pound woman. A friend gave me an older Yamaha 400 that values around $750.00. It is way to high off the ground for me. I am looking to replace it with an older model cruser that will allow my feet to be flat and firm to the ground. I would like to stay in the $700.00 range. Could you sugest makes and models to get me stated on my serch? Thank You.

Don't get so focused on FLAT FOOTING a bike. Check out the sticky links for "the short bike list" for some tips. Cruisers though they have lower seat heights, are generally HEAVY.

P

ianisme
Typical Bloody Brit!

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8211

Posted 5/14/2008 8:04 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sombo, I think the 250 Ninja is an excellent choice and so does Kevin Ash in the Telegraph. Click here for his test.

For years scholars have pondered the real purpose of Stonehenge. Now, with the aid of modern computer technology, all can be revealed.

sombo
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2008
Total Posts : 35

Posted 5/15/2008 7:36 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ianisme said...
Sombo, I think the 250 Ninja is an excellent choice and so does Kevin Ash in the Telegraph. Click here for his test.

Now if only we could get the fuel injection as an option at least here in the states. He's quoting some 85mpg possible with 74 actual with rough riding. That's 15 - 20 higher then you can expect on the carbureted version here in the states. Of course he did make a mistake in his report on the tank size. He said 3.75g when it's actually 4.8g for US, and 17L (converted to US gallons = 4.49) for UK, according to the Kawasaki sites.

And thank you for liking my choice in bikes. Now to just get my license through the Motorcycle Safety Course here in PA, and find someone willing to lend me the money to buy one lol.

wvdevindavis
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2008
Total Posts : 62

Posted 5/18/2008 7:11 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I just bought a 1998 Yamaha Virago 535 with 12k miles for two grand about ten days ago. Already put 200 miles on it. Not quite brave enough to hit up the interstate, or even the faster four lanes, but a solid 45 mph is plenty thrilling for me as I get the hang of everything.

N.C.
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2008
Total Posts : 2

Posted 6/14/2008 2:16 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thank you so much for your post, it has made a huge impact on my thoughts concerning my first personal bike.  I have had my license for about 5 yrs but have mostly riden as a passenger behind my husband.  Now I'm thinking about going solo.  Your comments have made me stop and reconsider what I really want from my bike and not just which bike I think is really cool.  Thanks again.

Post Edited (N.C.) : 6/14/2008 9:20:11 PM GMT

1911 guy
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2008
Total Posts : 3

Posted 6/24/2008 5:49 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Alright, new guy here.

I had an "89 Virago when I was stationed in San Diego over ten years ago.  Sold it after only a few months due to the fruits and nuts driving on I -5 and I-8.  Not something a new rider should be doing.  I'm a lot of things, suicidal isn't one of them.

So now I'm looking at getting another motorcycle.  I'd consider myself a beginner since I didn't ride for very long before and it's been a long time since then.  I also would like to get something my wife could learn on if she decided to.  I've been looking at the Yamaha V-250 for this.  If she says no to learning herself, looking at the V-star Custom or V-star Classic.

Your thoughts?