Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Newbies! > Best Bike For A New Rider  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
84 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3  4 
[ | Show Newest Post First ]

CrystalBlue
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2008
Total Posts : 3

Posted 6/26/2008 6:27 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I just bought my first bike this past weekend after researching and sitting on bikes, and talking with experienced motorcyclists in my circle, and wound up with a Yamaha V-Star 650. I have to tell you from the first time I sat on the bike (it took me over a month to figure out which bike to purchase), I felt at home on it. At the same time, I take things slowly and cautiously. I took the MSF Basic Rider Course, and I am working on learning how to ride in sequential steps. I love the bike and the ride, I do not go too fast (overshoot my abilities), and I am feeling good on this bike. In fact, it seems much easier to control to me than the smaller bikes in the MSF Course. So help me out here, can it be safely said, that a 650 can be ok for a beginner??

Bluemoon
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2008

Posted 7/10/2008 8:43 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm afraid this will be long....sorry. First I'm a 60 year old woman....possibly crazy. I took the MSF course last summer but had to drop. Not a good idea in August in Florida. The heat got to me it was 110 on the course. I reasoned I was too old. Riding was fun, traffic scared me, maybe I should forget it. For the next 6 months every bike that went by I envied. I want a bike! I want to ride! Some friends say I'll kill myself, my riding friends say "go for it" my son who rides is for it.

Ok I've decided to retake the class in the cool of Autumn. Now I have heard two versions about bikes. #1 start smaller get proficient then move up. #2 came from my son and also a couple of MSF coaches. Buy the bike you want the first time. It takes 6 months to get used to a new bike no matter what size. if you buy on then move up you essentially start the process over as no two bikes ride the same.

I have been drawn to the Boulevard C50. Remember I'm old and it reminds me of the good old days only nice and shiny again. I have a friend who just bought one ( the one I told her about, the one I wanted!cry )
I'm  plump at 5'4" 180, she's same height about 120 but 15 years younger.

Okay! opinions please on version #1 and 2 about bikes. Opinion on the Boulevard as a first bike. Opinion on me learning to ride at my age. All help very appreciated .  

Casper
The teddy bear of doom,,,

Date Joined Sep 2006
Total Posts : 4099

Posted 7/10/2008 11:43 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My $.02 Bluemoon,

#1 - good advice, which is why it's posted over and over in the "newbies" section of this board. Read the stickies.

#2 - not too bad IF the bike you want is reasonable. We normally recommend that you start small and used, with a 500cc or maybe a mild 650cc as an upper limit. If you are a non-munchkin and your dream bike is a Shadow 750, that's not much of a stretch, so why not. On the other hand, if your dream bike is a GSX-R 1000 then you really need to go back to #1.

The Boulevard C-50 is an 820cc motorcycle that weighs 540 pounds, has close to 50 horsepower and costs almost $7,000. Seems like a lot to me... For reference, my first motorcycle was a CB360 that weighed about 300 pounds, had maybe 15 horsepower, and cost $400 (1981 dollars).

I'm an MSF instructor, and I've taught many many men and women your age and older to ride. I don't know you, and I couldn't begin to predict how you're going to do from just a few words that you've typed here, but I will tell you that there's nothing about being a 5'4" tall 60y.o. woman that precludes you from riding a motorcycle.

I will tell you this, adult women are (usually) protected by caution, respect for the machine and immunity to testosterone poisoning. They (usually) listen and apply what they've learned, respond well to coaching, and are pleased when they do well. I adore working with grown women because it's rewarding. Teaching a 17 year old guy basketball player to ride is cute, but he knew he could do it, you know he could do it, and it's no biggie. The lady isn't sure she can do it (as you're not), but she usually is, and the smile is worth the sweat.

Have fun,,, you should do fine.

There is no higher form of patriotism than defending America against the Republican Party and every intolerant, puritanical, imperialistic greed-mongering, Constitution-shredding ideal for which it stands.

Post Edited (Casper) : 7/10/2008 6:46:07 PM GMT

Bluemoon
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2008

Posted 7/10/2008 1:18 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks Casper. I did have fun in my class and it was really the heat. The coach said I was on track to pass. I have read all the newbie stuff about bikes and have adjusted what i'm going to get. I'm thinking now more along the lines of a V-star 250 or  Marauder 250 or Boulevard S40. it will be fun to ride and affordable especially if i can find used. Around here used are scarce now with gas price mania going on. This board is great , I have never seen so much good info in one spot.

Karen

" I would rather fail than regret never having tried"

shipper50
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008
Total Posts : 2

Posted 8/1/2008 1:25 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am a retired guy who just went through knee replacment hell. I got an infection from the first replacement and went through 2.5 months of not being able to walk without a walker.

Now I want to ride, I think. I did ride back in the late 60's on a 650 Kaw. I have not ridden since and took the abate class in 2001. Didnt follow through with buying a bike and now have been thinking of getting one. I would like opinions on a bike both my lady and I can ride after I take a new class. I dont like big dressers as I just dont like the look.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shipper

Well Enuff
--- Regaining my sanity --- one ride at time

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 1925

Posted 8/1/2008 3:40 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Hey, Ship. Welcome back. For opinions on bikes you should read alot of the threads here in the Newbie section.

But you have something special to take care of since you have had joint surgery. What ever bike interests you in the future I'd suggest that you find a way of getting some riding time --- a lot more than just a pre-sale demo. Either find a bike you can rent [some HD dealerships are set up for that] or arrange an extended trial.

I did that with one m/c and lucked out because the owner/seller was going on a 16 day vacation. I left the purchase price in cash as a deposit and offered to pay him a mileage fee that we both agreed was fair. It was a great deal for me because I found out that I couldn't tolerate the weight and it put me in the market for a lighter machine.

Let us know about your  progress.

joker28
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008
Total Posts : 6

Posted 8/26/2008 4:14 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
which is better honda shadow 750 or suzuki s 40 for begineers? joined today and dying to ride...

joker28
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 8/28/2008 5:55 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
i am getting sv 650 2002 for 3500 with 3700 miles....what do u guys think? help

nothing is constant , except change!!!!

lionlady
-----Mistress of Novices. -Total miles: 85,000+

Date Joined Sep 2003
Total Posts : 2759

Posted 8/31/2008 4:34 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
joker28 said...
which is better honda shadow 750 or suzuki s 40 for begineers? joined today and dying to ride...
Start a new thread... you'll probably get more responses.

P

ATGATT: Because walking away in disgust, beats riding away in an ambulance.

joker28
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 9/8/2008 5:04 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
thanks...by the way i just passed my test and buying suzuki sv 650 on tomorrow...(used) any thoughts on what kinda insurance i should keep? i am 34 and married.

nothing is constant , except change!!!!

xrguy72
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2007

Posted 9/23/2008 2:55 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I have been riding since 1973 on the streets of Phoenix, AZ and various out of state trips and I just wanted to throw in a little wisdom as far as outgrowing a smaller machine. I have owned a Yamaha 125 enduro(my first street legal bike), 2 Yamaha 360 enduros, a Honda XL 500, a Honda Silverwing 500, a Honda XR650L, a Suzuki SP250, a Honda CB750 and I am riding a EX250 Ninja now. I can't believe what fun I had last September when I rode the little Ninja from Arizona to Maryland and up to New York, in all I traveled 6311 miles in 2 weeks. I averaged 70 MPG at cruising speeds of 65-70 and passing as fast as 80. This is a great little touring bike!!! I prefer this bike over all of my other bikes. The best thing I found is that I am no longer tempted to go too fast!

xrguy72

2006 Ninja 250 

36,000+ miles  yeah

mdev
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2008

Posted 9/28/2008 11:59 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have a question i jus got my m licence and am going to get my first bike pretty soon. I dont have that much exp on a bike only ridden a couple times, do u think i should get the 08 ninja 250 or a 02 cbr600. I am 5 6 and weigh 135. The majority of my use is going to be 2 hour rides from the beach to home on the highway. I would love to get the ninja but just am not sure if it has enough power for excessive highway riding

calliph
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 37

Posted 10/1/2008 7:06 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
mdev said...
I have a question i jus got my m licence and am going to get my first bike pretty soon. I dont have that much exp on a bike only ridden a couple times, do u think i should get the 08 ninja 250 or a 02 cbr600. I am 5 6 and weigh 135. The majority of my use is going to be 2 hour rides from the beach to home on the highway. I would love to get the ninja but just am not sure if it has enough power for excessive highway riding
If you have to have that modern sportbike style go with the 08 ninja. It looks good and I hear its fun to ride in twisties. It can top out around 105-110mph! which is way above any speed limits you should be doing on the hwytongue  You are far less likely to get into trouble. I have been riding a year and I am just now starting to look at a true sport bike. I might have been okay starting on a 600 but imo its better to be safe than sorry, and save money on speeding ticketssmilewinkgrin If you dont mind sacrificing looks, and want something a little faster than the 250 you might want to look at a ninja ex500 or a suzuki gs500. They both have more than enough power to get you wherever you need to go, or check out used suzuki bandit 600s they have power, but give you a easier riding position for longer trips and the motor is a lot more tame than a SS bike.

Post Edited (calliph) : 10/2/2008 2:10:34 AM GMT

showmegal
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2008

Posted 10/3/2008 5:20 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This is my third post on this site (the first two posts were the same question, different thread).  I found this site today while I was on the internet looking for a motorcycle.  As of yesterday, I have just completed the MSF course and now want to find a bike (bet that's not a surprise). smile   I was considering the Honda Shadow Aero 750, but now I'm thinking I should start with perhaps the bike I trained on-- the Honda Rebel. 

My experience with motorcycles is very limited.  I had a bike a long time ago when I was 18 years old for about 2 months--now it's 35 years later and wow!! I felt like brand new rider when I took this course.  What I didn't know was basically everything.  Okay, I knew how to shift the gears (I did remember that), knew where the throttle and brakes were, but everything else was pretty new to me.   After the course ended yesterday, I definitely need to have a ton more practice before I actually "ride" a bike on the roads.  I did pass the course--I just would feel more comfortable with more TIME on a bike before I enter the big world of the ROAD. LOL  I eventually want to get a bigger bike--I just need to learn how to handle a relatively light bike before I go for something with more power.

My question is: Is the Honda Shadow 750 too big a bike?  the Honda Rebel too small?  Is there a better bike to purchase to learn to ride?

I am a woman, about 5'4", average-sized, and in my early 50s if that makes a difference--I don't know if it does or doesn't, but I thought I'd include it this post just in case it does make a difference.  I live in a suburb in a medium-sized city that's surrounded by other medium-sized cities near a large metropolis.  I also live within 15-20 minutes to rural, backroads--some of the best nice weather day driving times with hills and curves.  I've seen a lot of motorcyclists on these roads.  Now I know why!!

My daughter took the same course that I have just finished taking a couple years ago and also trained on a Rebel, then she went out and purchased a Rebel for herself and within 6 months traded it in for a Honda 883.  Now she wants a bigger bike.  (If only I had taken lessons right behind her--I could've bought the bike from her!!).  She went to Sturgis this year and rode the entire way there and back by herself (about 1000 miles each way).   I also went to Sturgis this year the week before the rally, but the person my husband and I went with trailered his bike. 

Can anyone help with suggestions?  I'm not necessarily locked into the Honda brand.  I just want to learn this new and exciting adventure.  It's one of those "bucket list things" I want to do.  Plus, it looks like so much fun.  And after I took lessons, I realize it is fun and look forward to learning something new.

Thanks for any and all reponses.

Papa Smurf
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2008
Total Posts : 5

Posted 10/11/2008 11:28 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Interesting posts. I am 41 retired Marine. I just bought my first bike about a month ago.  Since I plan on trail riding alot, I went with a dual-sport. I went with the CRF 230L because it had a low seat height and easy to ride. First thing I did was take the riding safety course on Camp Pendleton.  I think I made a great choice.  I might be able to use it to its full potential in a year or so, but I am having a blast now.  As for those sportbike guys, only a very few can ride a 600 to its full potential. So I doubt too many here can.  I am not saying that for the veteran riders here, you all know this.  The new guys, especially the young ones need to understand this.  If you start out on a 1000cc superbike, you might find out to late it is too much bike.  When you pick out your first bike the first think you need to due is check your ego at the door. 

captamerica77
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2008

Posted 10/15/2008 3:40 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
new riders should consider used as opposed to new, just to see if you even like riding. If you do not like it you can get rid of it fairly easily and not take the big hit. Go on the smaller side and if you like it, move up, again with out the big depreciation. You may decide to go to dual-purpose from cruiser or street or vice-versa. You can find lots of quality 400-750cc size for very little money. i would suggest getting what ever used bike you get, get it checked by a good mechanic. Just to be safe. I just picked up a couple good used bikes, a 81 Suzuki GS750 and a 92 Honda CB750 nighthawk. Both would fit newer riders well,although the suzuki is heavier.

Yank In Aus
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2008
Total Posts : 1

Posted 11/25/2008 3:55 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Yeah never done something like this before but,

I'm 17 years old and i move back to the states in july and I would like to buy a bike.  Im a noob at bikes no courses my buddy let me ride his for an hour but thats about it.  I wanna have a bike that can go fast and no problems starting but doesn't cost to much.  Its obviously a lot to ask for that in a bike.

Any ideas you have could you let me know

thanxs

Gates99
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2009

Posted 8/21/2009 11:19 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I hope I didn't screw up!! OK, here's what I've done. Hopefully I can make it work but if not I'll do whatever I need to do in order to be as safe as possible.

I'm a 63 year old male and rode a little growing up but very little. I ended up purchasing a 2007 Shadow VT1100C. It weighs about 40 lbs more than the new Honda Shadow 750cc. The bike only had 2800 miles and was in super mint condition. I'll have to admit the flames on a black background were attractive too and I'm too embarrassed to post what I paid. To say I got a "deal" would be the grossest of understatements.

I have yet to ride the bike as I'm waiting to take a 4 day class offered by the local Harley dealership and a friend who has ridden since childhood has offered to help me as well. I did get on the bike, crank it and rode it 20 yards or so in the parking lot. I could not believe the difference in what I remembered from years ago. The bike was much heavier (it weighs about 550 I think) and a great deal more powerful than anything I was expecting. I thought how awkward it felt at the very low speed I was going. Second thoughts on my decision were running rampant!! I realize this is not considered to be a "heavy" bike but having ridden bikes well under 500lbs growing up, it felt heavy to me. I wanted a little heavier bike to absorb some of the road vibration as I had disc surgery about 15 years ago.

Just so y'all will know, I'm about 6ft and 170lbs. I'm very athletic with above average coordination. I'm not intimidated by the bike but after reading some of the very well thought out posts here I have to wonder if I screwed up. If I take it slow and easy is there any reason I won't be able to handle what I bought, be safe and enjoy it? Obviously I love the bike but I love my old ass more :)

PS After riding the bike home for me, my Harley friend really bragged on the bike and was flabbergasted at what I paid. He didn't seem to think it was too much for me to handle and believe me he would have said so if he thought it.

Would appreciate some feedback!!

Tranzwarp
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2009
Total Posts : 1

Posted 8/25/2009 6:57 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Hello, all. This is my first post, and I have to admit I am impressed with all the interest shown by everyone here. I am taking the MSF Beginner course in a month (soonest I could get in here in Ohio), and have a question..or two.

I've ridden scooters, and have no problem driving a stick shift. Will these "assets" help with trying to learn to ride/shift on a bike?

My oldest son has a Ninja 650 sitting in my garage - it has been for a year. Now, I'm not too anxious to hop on it and ride - it just seems a bit much for me...will that likely change after MSF? Without any experience riding a motorcycle, I really don't know what to expect. I think I could be happy on a much smaller bike, but I'm curious how confident others felt AFTER the course.

Thanks.

Gates99
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2009

Posted 8/25/2009 4:16 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Tranzwarp

My name is Gates and you can read my post on this thread. Sounds like we are kindred spirits and since posting here I have talked to lots of experienced riders. Universally they agree that I need to start small and work my way up. I'm keeping my Honda Sabre 1100cc (550lbs) and buying a Suzuki S40 to learn on for the next several months. I chose the S40 over the smaller 250cc Honda because it was about the same weight as the 250's (under 400lbs) but has a lot more power (650cc). It seems to be the perfect bile on which to learn especially if you are considering a cruiser, which I already have purchased.

Being 63 I am NOT interested in the crotch rocket type bikes. Even the young guys say they are not comfy for long rides and you can get all the power you would ever want on a bigger cruiser. Anyway, just what I've picked up in talking to lots of very good riders.

reaperR
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2009

Posted 8/27/2009 7:01 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello all. Im new to this forum and well motorcycles completley im taking the MSC this week and looking to buy a bike shortly after. All my friends ride and reccomend something in a 600 i personely love the sport bikes GSXR 600 being my favorite. Im in the military and will be practicing for a decent amount of time on a post before ever taking it off. Do you all think this is biting a lil to much off. My wife would rather i get a new bike as well rather than buy a old used one and then a year or 2 later want a new bike to upgrade to. Im just worried im gonna mess up and drop the bike. Honestly im not too worried about the urge to go fast. I know its there but i got 2 kids now that are everything to me, plus i got that out of my system when i was younger 18 in italy with a sports car. Im looking to just get with my friends and go riding eventually 70-80 mph is as fast as im intrested in going. im alo only 5'7'' so ive been told the body of a gsxr is perfect for my height. I also realize some of my friends are a little crazy and this seems like the forum to ask experienced mature riders. Im only looking to but a bike once every 5 or so years if that so is teh gsxr600 too much too soon.

I appreciate any constructive advice look forward to talkingto you all here. also can anyone tell me other than price the pros and cons of leather VS this mesh stuff im seeing as far as riding gear goes .

reaperR
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2009

Posted 8/27/2009 8:22 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ok so i have to thank the people on this forum for educating me greatly. Contrary to what ppl say i do not want ot die lol i think a kawi 500 might be the way to go plus its 4 grand cheaper than the gsxr6 i was lookin at! thanks to everyone who took the time to post here prolly saved me a lot of pain

Jamsie
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2010
Total Posts : 4

Posted 1/22/2010 11:32 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Look at all the lives you guys have saved from people saying "oh I think I'll go smaller" (including myself). Very well done!!

I am looking to get a bike in a couple of months, something I've wanted to do since I was a kid. I am now 26 w/ 2 kids of my own and a husband who is behind me 110% (although a little frightened). The very first advice I received on the topic came from a close dear friend who said, "Take the riding class. Don't get on a bike without doing this." He was a seasoned rider but he swore by this. Since then the only advice I've gotten is to not go too small because I'll get bored with it...:) I was looking into 600's...laughable. I am a small lady about 5 feet even with little stubby legs that match my short little torso. You guys may have just saved me A TON of MOOLAH and UNDIES!!

The riders on this site seem so passionate and EDUCATED that I'll believe you guys anyday. I've been looking fro this site for a few months now...wish I would've found you sooner. I want to soak up all the info I can before I take the course in March. I have learned from you guys that A: smaller doesn't mean people are going to point and laugh; and B: I now have about 10 options for bikes written down to check into (whereas, at first, I had none).

Thank you thank you for the help. God knows I needed it.

Well Enuff
--- Regaining my sanity --- one ride at time

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 1925

Posted 1/24/2010 7:29 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jamsie said...
Look at all the lives you guys have saved from people saying "oh I think I'll go smaller" (including myself). Very well done!!

I am looking to get a bike in a couple of months,  ...  I have learned from you guys that A: smaller doesn't mean people are going to point and laugh; and B: I now have about 10 options for bikes written down to check into (whereas, at first, I had none).
Jamsie. I saw in MotoGirls that you were looking for a 250 sumpin' near Nashville. Try www.craigslist.org and search there.

Real quick I found these two. I have no idea what your budget is, so you'll have to do some work yourself. Have fun!

iman501
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2008
Total Posts : 1022

Posted 1/25/2010 8:06 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
yank in aus said...
Im a noob at bikes no courses my buddy let me ride his for an hour but thats about it. I wanna have a bike that can go fast

wrong attitude, take a course, get something that you can learn to use its full potential to without it going stupid fast, either small ninja would be good (250 or 500) i'm assuming you are into sport bikes being 17 and saying you want a fast bike right?

I'm 18, and started to ride when i turned 16, i took the MFS course (i highly highly recomend it!!!!!) you should take it as well, you'll learn way more than you'd expect, and its a really fun course as well! the first bike i had when i was 16 was my dads bike, it was an 89 honda transalp. It was a dual sport bike that pushed 50ish HP, it was a blast to ride, it was ample power w/e i needed it, but it wouldnt suprise me if i messed up, and was very forgiving! i rode that bike for 15k miles, and just recently bought myself a buell xb9r jumpin .

if you want to get into riding (i highly highly recomend that as well :) ha ha) then you should really consider some sort of riding course!, and get yourself a bike thats used, not stupid fast, and one that will be forgiving. as a new rider, you'll come across all sorts of incidents you never would have thought about before, such as things in the road such as gravel, oil, and leaves and such. all these things can make your wheels slide out, or your feet slip out from under you.

On top of road conditions, you also have to realize that all the cars on the roads could give less than a car about you, and they are always pulling out in front of you, and disregarding your precence. always ride in a manor thats above defensive riding, ride like everybodys out to kill you!

and lastly, make sure you get some good riding gear! especially a helmet! my best friend would be dead right now if he didnt have a helmet on when he went throught the windshield of some old lady's car who pulled out in front of him!

bikes dont leak oil, they mark their territory