Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Newbies! > Best Bike For A New Rider  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
84 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3  4 
[ | Show Newest Post First ]

helmet
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2010
Total Posts : 8

Posted 8/25/2010 1:18 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Very good article, a young man on the lot of crazy. To have played no retirement

Ride a motorcycle and a leading supplier of outdoor activities, visit my website.

g85Riding
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2011
Total Posts : 7

Posted 8/29/2011 3:56 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Great First Post, thread and discussion! I had a couple of questions I wanted to throw out here. I'm very new. never ridden. Taking the BRT in about 3 weeks. I know that I'm almost too new to even post here...I won't really know for sure if I'm going to keep riding until after my BRT, but I think I will. So...on to the questions....

I want a cruiser...For price, gas mileage, safety, for mainly just some weekend riding and commuting to work. I've been looking at a V Star 250. I keep hearing that I'll want a bigger bike in a couple of years if not sooner. I also know that bigger V stars are only a couple of thousand more. I could swing it. From what I've been reading already...It sounds like It would be a good decision to get the v star 250. Thoughts? Also gear...How much to spend? To get a good Jacket with armor...full face helmet...bike boots and good safe gloves.. What should that run me. $250 or less?

Thanks again. I look forward to posting my thoughts on the class and also my thoughts on my new bike in a month or so!

Cheers!

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 8/31/2011 7:31 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think 500 is a closer number for gear,but it is fall and prices drop in october usually. The v star 250 would work fine. I cant really say how a bigger bike would do for you. As you have never ridden before,Id stay with the 250. Buy Used,your going to drop the bike in the drive or something so buying new would hurt more than a used bike hitting the ground. Ride it till you figure motorcycling out. Then step up. Good luck in your class, let us know how it goes.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
track hack? 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc? who knows,cant decide....
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

g85Riding
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2011

Posted 9/9/2011 11:19 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
New development...have been offered a Honda 750 Four (not sure on year) that runs... for $150. May pick it up this weekend. Good bike for a beginner? Not too much power? Also needs maintenance. Oil chance, possible new battery. some rust on the chrome..and ring or cylinder work. I may be biting off more than I can take here as I don't have any experience working on bikes but wouldn't mind the work or learning. Anyone have any thoughts? It's a way to get a bike right now and have it ready to ride soon after I get my license and pass the classes.

Post Edited (g85Riding) : 9/9/2011 8:21:08 PM GMT

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 9/9/2011 3:53 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
g85Riding said...
It's a way to get a bike right now and have it ready to ride soon after I get my license and pass the classes.
Or it might be a way to waste $150.  rolleyes

How do you know that it needs "cylinder work".
If that's true, it is probably more than you want to tackle.

It might be a bit much for a new rider if it is running good......unless maybe you are a large person.

If you are small of stature like me, than pass on it.

g85Riding
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2011

Posted 9/16/2011 1:16 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I passed on it. It was indeed a classic but.. had been sitting out in the rain for 3 years without being started.. all rusted, minimum needed a new chain, battery, ignition key, tires...I'll hold out. :-)

ON a positive note, I start the BRT classes tonight. I can't wait.

g85Riding
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2011

Posted 9/20/2011 11:57 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I passed my skills and written test. either this or next week will get my endorsement. then...off to get a bike next. I'm really thinking Honda Rebel 250? I'm 6' though. that's my only concern? I need something low power for a while until I really learn to ride. Safety first man.

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 9/20/2011 1:02 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
g85Riding said...
I'm really thinking Honda Rebel 250? I'm 6' though. that's my only concern?
Lots of threads about that on here already.  Look around a bit.

If you can find a used GZ250, it has cruiser style forward pegs.

Mr1200Madura
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2012
Total Posts : 5

Posted 1/7/2012 3:41 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
To put my 2 cents in on this, and i dont have to write a book on this, 1st of all i have almost 41 yrs of ridding under my belt. So i assume i have some knowledge of truths and facts. For newbies on motorcycles ur 1st choice should be a old used dirt bike, and keep it off the city streets. learn how to ride in the mud and fly over dunes 1st, and learn how to ride in the ruts and stear urself out of it. Ride in mud this helps you to learn how to control the bike in where u want it to go before ever thinking of a street bike, reason why id suggest a old bike is u dont have much into it, and if things get really bad its eazy to walk away from. No 1 can teach you how to ride a street bike it is based on experience. And newbies cant grasp the concept of how fast some street bikes go, mine for instance is good from 0 to 100 in 6.9 sec and has a top speed of 172 mph, no newbie should consider a bike like this, this would be a death trap. I know of a young kid that talked his dad into buying him a ninja 600 1st bike, 2 blocks later he ran into a parked car.
Experience is the key here and on the streets you can get run over with out doing anything wrong, all it takes is a idiot in a car, not paying attention, i have broad sided 2 cars in my life and neither were my fault. Somewhere at some time you on your bike will go down that is a fact of life. Motorcycles are not for every 1, make sure it is what you want to do, i have lost friends in motorcycle wrecks, seen 1 kid under neath a semi on graduation day, he died, a friend of mine who made over 100,000 yr as a professional diver lost his leg by a woman in a shopping center he was doing maybe 15 mph when she ran over him. Im not trying to turn any 1 off from motorcycles God forbid that cause i have always luved them, but i am giving you real world views here. If you buy yourself a new bike, lets say a 600 cc street bike and your doing say 70 what do you do at 70 if u have a blow out? These are the things 1 should consider before ever just jumping on a street bike.