Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Newbies! > Low speed skills --- Need a Mentor?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
32 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ | Show Newest Post First ]

Tros
Global Moderator

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 7362

Posted 5/5/2008 7:47 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost."

sombo
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2008
Total Posts : 35

Posted 5/5/2008 7:52 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That was impressive, especially on that big of a bike.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 5/5/2008 7:57 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Go to the school that teaches cops how to ride. Then drill till you can compete in cop competitions, then when your as good as that guy is, watch a Japanese bike cop at their competition. Those guys really get it on (they use better bikes as well).

Focus the forces, Be The Force

pannayar
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2004
Total Posts : 266

Posted 5/5/2008 8:06 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That is IMPRESSIVE!!! Never seen anything like it. For a moment I thought it could be computer graphics...

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 5/5/2008 8:13 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You should see the paired riders, two bikes side by side through the whole course. Most of the time the bikes are touching.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 5/5/2008 8:20 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Zowie, that I haven't seen, that would be extra stunning, because not only the hitting the line in the turns, the outside guy has to speed up (maybe the inside guy slows down, or they share a speed change, to stay side by side in the turning) Any You Tube detectives, able to find that, and post it here?

Can I put in a plug for sitting right, on a bike at this point?

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004

Posted 5/5/2008 8:23 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Andy VH said...
You should see the paired riders, two bikes side by side through the whole course. Most of the time the bikes are touching.

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost."

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004

Posted 5/5/2008 8:25 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
louemc said...
Go to the school that teaches cops how to ride. Then drill till you can compete in cop competitions, then when your as good as that guy is, watch a Japanese bike cop at their competition. Those guys really get it on (they use better bikes as well).

(And it seems the US can hold it's own --- below)

sombo
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2008

Posted 5/5/2008 8:27 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
louemc said...
Zowie, that I haven't seen, that would be extra stunning, because not only the hitting the line in the turns, the outside guy has to speed up (maybe the inside guy slows down, or they share a speed change, to stay side by side in the turning) Any You Tube detectives, able to find that, and post it here?

Can I put in a plug for sitting right, on a bike at this point?

Might be different on your computer but on mine after the video is over it shows a small list of other related videos in the lower part of the window. The one he was talking about and the Japanese cop one were on that list as well. Just thought I'd note that as something to look for after the video is over.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 5/5/2008 9:03 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Allrighty, now that is impressive. Better make this thread a stickie so anybody (not just Newbies) can get a visual of it being done. Settles any question of whether a bike can be moved or not.

636ADAM
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 2110

Posted 5/5/2008 9:42 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Not taking anything away from the guys on the full dressers but were they pretty much using hard parts as outriggers. is that correct? It seemed as though they were touching bround alot. But hey, use em if you got em, Right? Very cool . I like the control of the cops in japan.Spinning up there tires and popping clutches. Kool.

Don't look at me!
Adam

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004

Posted 5/5/2008 9:49 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
louemc said...
Allrighty, now that is impressive. Better make this thread a stickie so anybody (not just Newbies) can get a visual of it being done. Settles any question of whether a bike can be moved or not.

I agree. I'm going to go ahead and sticky the thread! scool

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 5/6/2008 10:46 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
636ADAM said...
Not taking anything away from the guys on the full dressers but were they pretty much using hard parts as outriggers. is that correct? It seemed as though they were touching bround alot. But hey, use em if you got em, Right? Very cool . I like the control of the cops in japan.Spinning up there tires and popping clutches. Kool.

Actually, there is a very precise skill to "dragging hard parts" and these guys have honed that skill.

Dragging hard parts, is not good, the hard parts are not outriggers.  But, they know the drill, and in the framework of a course they practice and practice and practice at, they know how to adjust their touchdown. One, they have to get leaned as far as they can, so they do have to touch down on those boats, but where in the corner is a factor, and not getting hard down (and staying there) before  more is needed, is critical.

Also, as they learned it, they made little mistakes, and the only penalty for that mistake was to knock over some cones.

When a street rider makes a mistake, they lever the wheels off the pavement and in a shower of sparks, slide off the road. Might be off the side they are on, and over a cliff, or into a rock wall, or across the oncoming lane, and head on into heavy metal if it is there, or over a cliff on that side or into a rock wall on that side.  All extremely bad things.

Or as a BMW Boxer (opposed cylinders)rider  did early on a spirited group ride, and he had brought his slim girl friend as a passenger.  We were on a curvy road, with a drop off  to the ocean, on our right side, curve to the left, and a cylinder touches down, he can't turn any sharper, but the roads curve is turning sharper.  I don't think we were doing over 55, but, at that speed there were no options. He (and his girl friend) shot off the road and over the cliff.
He was OK (but his day was over) and she got a whack on her helmeted head that left her without short term memory. And the bike had to be wenched up to a wrecker.

Like so many things, you can do it wrong, or you can do it right.  First step is knowing there is a right and wrong. Second step is separate yourself from wrong, by learning right, and taking ownership of right.

Post Edited (louemc) : 5/6/2008 6:00:48 PM GMT

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 5/6/2008 11:16 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Horrible story Lou; damn.

But those Cops; holy cow.

I'm not stupid enough to try and outrun a moto cop, and now I KNOW I'd never try it.

Those guys are unbelievable; I found the guy on the Harley most impressive of the most impressive.

Hell...I couldn't even remember the course!

Tremendous bike control.

Wow.

Thx for the post Tros.

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004

Posted 5/6/2008 11:21 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
No problem. I admittitly am in awe of how well some of these riders are. They've got me whipped. I feel very confident in my high-speed skills, but these videos made me realize I could probably use some work at my lower speeds... And practice I will :-)

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 5/6/2008 1:13 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Take a close look, at them, essentially they are riding simular to how a dirt bike is riden through the trees or combinations of trees and boulders. That is when a dirt biker works at getting aggressive at it.

I have to say simular (instead of just like), because with a dirt bike there can be more toss the wheels around, and the Harley's especially and sorta the same-ish, the BMW's there is more weight tossing, But the Japanese cop bikes were very simularly riden as we rode the heavier dirt bikes (like Triumph 500's) (or Steve McQueen rode a Triumph 650).

So.... since very few will go to a cop riding school, all is still not lost, some normally abnormal bikers can still work out on a dirt bike.

Post Edited (louemc) : 5/6/2008 8:23:18 PM GMT

Zuki Rider
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 41

Posted 5/8/2008 2:33 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Whoa!  That's some awesome riding.....  roll

ride ride ride

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 5/8/2008 2:56 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yeah, Thank Tros for posting up these great video's it's real rare to see this form of competition. And, done on what has to be called street bikes. So anyone that has any interest in being able to avoid a collision by making their bike move, can do this with knowing what to do, and practicing at it, to get it :-)

Cowgirl
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008

Posted 5/15/2008 1:38 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I didn't see this thread until today, and just wanted to advise that the posted videos are no longer available (at least that was the message that came up when I clicked on each of them). Thanks!

Barb

What's all this brewhaha?

sombo
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2008

Posted 5/15/2008 7:39 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Cowgirl said...
I didn't see this thread until today, and just wanted to advise that the posted videos are no longer available (at least that was the message that came up when I clicked on each of them). Thanks!

They all still work fine for me. I just checked them after reading your post to make sure.

Cowgirl
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008

Posted 5/18/2008 2:23 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
So sorry...must have been the computer I was using. They work fine now (on my own). Those guys are awesome...makes me want to go spend some more time in the parking lot!

Barb

What's all this brewhaha?

Tallman
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2007
Total Posts : 10

Posted 8/13/2008 11:38 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I bought a video "Ride like a Pro" Master the actual Police Motor Officer course. From Jerry "Motorman" Palladino. You can find it at www.ridelikeapro.com. well worth the money. You can ride like that guy in the video, with enough practice. Even on a big bike.

Good luck

I used to own a 2003 Goldwing ( put 43,000 miles on it), but traded it in this year for a 2008 Goldwing. I'd like to find someone in my area to ride with. I've been riding since 2003, but just by myself. If you are interested please email me. I'm 6'7" soon to be 49 and am a friendly guy.

HockeyFan
XL883C / 9433 miles

Date Joined May 2007
Total Posts : 195

Posted 9/5/2008 7:28 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just saw this post myself - awesome skill demonstration. I just got back from Harley's 105th celeb. in Milwaukee. They had an Indianapolis Police drill squad showing off some stunts of their own. It must take unimaginable hours of practice to hone skills to that level.

'07 Harley Sportster 883 Custom

Be smart - take a local MSF course before doing anything else.

Tallman
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2007
Total Posts : 10

Posted 9/13/2008 1:22 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I just found this. Its a guy riding a yellow Goldwing, and he must truly be a professional!! WOW You can hear the bike the guy with the camera riding scraping around every turn and I don't think he's riding a goldwing

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Goldwing-in-the-mountains_8250.htm

I used to own a 2003 Goldwing ( put 43,000 miles on it), but traded it in this year for a 2008 Goldwing. I'd like to find someone in my area to ride with. I've been riding since 2003, but just by myself. If you are interested please email me. I'm 49 and am a friendly guy.

I recently went on a 4day/1500 mile trip(by myself) from my home in Long Beach, Ca to St. George Utah. I went through NV, UT,AZ and back home. I took lots of pictures of Zion & Bryce & Grand Canyons National Parks! Temps reached as high as 113 through Baker, Ca and as low as 62 when I rode through a storm outside Zion. It was a great trip

joelmoses
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2008
Total Posts : 6

Posted 10/23/2008 1:38 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wow, amazing videos. I once had a client who jumped off his pegs and over a vehicle that had turned left in front of him, avoiding the brunt of an accident. He was trained in the military but had learned these skills. I fear I am far too old to be taught that kind of riding.

Check out my website at www.1800motorcycle.net to read the truth about what insurance you should have.  If you have any questions for a motorcycle accident attorney, e-mail me.