Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Newbies! > Low speed skills --- Need a Mentor?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
32 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ | Show Newest Post First ]

Well Enuff
--- Regaining my sanity --- one ride at time

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 1925

Posted 10/28/2008 9:14 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
joelmoses said...
...I once had a client who jumped off his pegs and over a vehicle that had turned left in front of him, avoiding the brunt of an accident. He was trained in the military but had learned these skills.

joel,

What is the military course that teaches m/c riders to jump off the pegs to avoid a crash? I'd like to read that course description. Can civilians take it?

Scott Wang
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2009
Total Posts : 14

Posted 3/3/2009 11:49 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I thought they were impossible!~~ But they made it!~
Very cool and impressive!~

Post Edited By Moderator (Rich_S) : 6/1/2009 4:07:29 PM GMT

Poolboy1
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2008
Total Posts : 46

Posted 6/1/2009 6:47 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I tried to stop the video, but these guys are so good it is hard to stop their actions.  At the very slow speeds that they travel and the sharp corners they make do the same techniques apply:  To counter lean, as you lay the bike over to make a right turn you do not lean that way but lean the other way to counter the desire of the bike to fall down.  I think I have the fall down of the bike correct, I am trying to master the not having the bike fall down.

Life's journey is like riding a bike.  Enjoy the smooth parts of your ride on the sunny days.  When storm clouds come and the sun goes down and the rain pours, lean into the curves, keep your eye on where you want to end up, use your brake sparingly, and do not be afraid of the throttle.

500 CC VULCAN PURCHASED 07/2008 MILES DRIVEN 00508 Season 1 ended.  Season 2 starts with at 513 miles.

Ken C
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2009
Total Posts : 32

Posted 6/9/2009 8:44 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Keeping your body upright is a way to allow the bike to lean and turn tighter. If you allowed your upper body to lean with the bike, you will increase the "fall over" tendency.

The real trick to tight turns is to maintain steady drive by setting the throttle and dragging the rear brake and using the clutch to control speed. Without this steady forward drive, stability is nearly impossible. Once this is set, then lean the bike (yes, countersteer slightly), turn your head and the bars.

Riding in the Zone
www.ridinginthezone.com
tonystrackdays.com

bearshark52
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2010
Total Posts : 45

Posted 4/10/2010 8:01 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
okay, so these guys are really good, but they make it look so easy!! props to our cops!

tnvol
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2010
Total Posts : 7

Posted 4/28/2010 6:37 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That's pretty impressive! 

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 6/27/2011 3:40 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, it's three years later and it isn't any less impressive! The absolute control that these guys command over their machines is just mind boggling. I don't know about anyone else, but I plan on studying these long and hard. There has to be close to a book's worth of instruction just in these short videos alone!

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe