Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Newbies! > 2006 Honda Shadow  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Junior64
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2009
Total Posts : 1

Posted 8/9/2009 5:22 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I hace a 2006 Honda Shadow, when I start the bike I pull the choke, wait for about 1 min. the turn it off. Know when I turn off the choke the bike turns off. What can I do to solve this proble?

Treefort
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2006
Total Posts : 2468

Posted 8/9/2009 11:44 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
How does the bike run when the choke is on? Does it run like it is being choked or does it run like you would expect it to run without the choke on?

Have you checked the fuel filter?
Air filter?
Spark Plugs?

War may sometimes be a necessary evil. But no matter how necessary, it is always an evil, never a good. We will not learn how to live together in peace by killing each other's children.

Jimmy Carter

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 8/10/2009 9:49 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Simply use the choke as it is intended to be used. The "choke" is a starting aid for when the bike is first started for the day, or after it has not been ridden for a few hours or more. You simply are turning off the choke WAY too soon. Most motorcycles require FULL choke application for at least a few minutes until you are able to slightly turn the choke off. On most bikes with a choke control, apply FULL choke to start the bike, and then ADJUST the choke down as the engine warms up.

Some bikes require more choke "fiddling" than others. Hondas have traditionally always required more choke fiddling than other bikes.

Now, if your bike ONLY starts and runs with the choke applied, even when the engine is fully warmed up, then something is wrong in the carbs. And the only really good way to fix that is a thorough carb removal, disassembly and manual cleaning. If you are not good mechanically with working on your bike, then do NOT attempt this type of repair. If your bike only runs on the choke, then the idle/pilot jet circuit in the carbs is VERY likely clogged with fuel residue and varnish from fuel gone bad. This is VERY likely if your bike is unridden most of the time, or if you only ride it once every few weeks.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

ChrisVTX1300S
2003 VTX1300S

Date Joined May 2008
Total Posts : 534

Posted 8/11/2009 4:14 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Andy VH said...
Some bikes require more choke "fiddling" than others. Hondas have traditionally always required more choke fiddling than other bikes.

Honda does not use a true "choke" (choking off the air supply) rather, it's an "enricher", providing more fuel into the mix. Both achieve the same result, through different methods. I accomplish the same feat by giving a few twists of the throttle before hitting the start button, then engaging my BrakeAway Cruise (throttle lock) at a minimal level until the bike is warmed up. No need to remember to turn off the "choke" that way.

03 VTX1300S - Orange, V&H Big Shots, Darkside, Brake Away Cruise, Kuryakyn Cruise Pegs, ISO Grips, Magnum Mirrors, Light Bar
cdmckane.wordpress.com
Need Amsoil/Twin Air/NGK products? Get them here.