Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Newbies! > Night Riding!  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
57 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 9/15/2011 1:15 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Summer is starting to fade away and the days are getting shorter. This of course means that a good many of us are going to start riding at night now. I have a couple of night runs under my belt already on the FA, and I have to say that it is the bomb! Kind of scary at first, but the bomb! There is just this different sensation, a kind of extra edge I feel when I ride at night, almost like your psyche has a certain awareness of the risk and the unkown. All your senses are peaked and you can feel your mind working a little bit more. Especially when you're in the twisties and it's pitch black and all you have is your head light to show you the way. It can get a little weird because the light doesn't fully illuminate your line, so you really have to use extra care and "trust" your postion and technique. I tend to feel a bit more encapsulated in my gear, too, which is a neat feeling all in itself.

And then you break out of the trees and all you see are stars (on a good night) and the city lights and you almost get this feeling like you are flying or something. At one point there was this feeling of inner peace, almost like I was the only one out there and the world was laid out before me. It just feels like nothing else I have done to date. I definitely need to get more seat time in to get a better hang of it, but what a rush! Things are no doubt going to get more interesting as the seasons change further.

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 9/15/2011 1:24 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Nuff said.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
track hack? 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc? who knows,cant decide....
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 9/15/2011 3:44 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Watch out for deer though; around here in Sonoma and Marin Counties, they are even alongside the freeways at dusk.

Selling my one owner '97 TL1000S: www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372346

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 9/15/2011 4:58 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

GAJ is correct for even in many parts of Canada deer will simply get in your way & you cannot stop fast enough.

I will admit the cooler evenings are good, but one has  to realize most cage drivers do not see m/c riders so even worse then in daytime.

One must remember a lot of drinking to use of drugs to this & that to fool around with like a cellular, a machine to send a tweeter, screwing around with the music to also friends in & distracting the cage driver that might be the one that hits you.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 9/16/2011 6:22 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have always enjoyed night riding for the sense of solitude and low-level flight it produces. But you HAVE to be very diligent in using your vision even more so because the night conditions limit your line of sight almost exclusively to what your headlight illuminates.

On my bike I have added driving lights, and I use a bright white low/high bulb for the main headlight. And I ride slower at night. Myabe even 5 mph slower can have a big impact on creating more time and space to react when you do see something.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

martinjmpr
08 Triumph Scrambler

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 4681

Posted 9/16/2011 7:19 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I try to avoid riding at night if possible. Obviously it's not always possible since I am a year-'round rider, but night-time riding increases the regular hazards of riding by quite a bit. Visibility is the key, both your visibility and the visibility you project to other vehicles.

Deer and other creatures are the main reason I hate riding in the mountains at night. Out on the plains, it's different, you have long lines of sight but in the mountains or forests where the trees are right up next to the road I find myself getting very tense when riding at night - not a good feeling.

Martin

Englewood, CO (Denver suburb)

UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) Fanatic

Previous Bikes:  '69 Honda CL450; '74 Honda CB750; '83 Honda 550 Nighthawk; '92 Yamaha Virago 1100; '83 Yamaha Maxim 750; '84 Kawasaki ZN700 LTD; '01 Triumph Thunderbird 900; '82 Kawasaki Spectre 750

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 9/16/2011 8:45 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

You guys are most correct, of course. Especially in regards to Forest Rats - err, Deer. I am not a fan of these Buggers! I had a very close call with one last year on the Spyder. Stupid thing just ran right out into the road in front of me. I was a bit naive then and honestly didn't think he'd do it - But he did! And this wasn't even at night, it was a dusky condition. It happened so fast the only thing I could think to do was to turn into him (there was no on-coming so the opening was there) and hope he would overshoot, which he did. But not by much! Needless to say that taught me a very important lesson about awareness.

Last night I was riding with a friend and we rode straight into a fog bank. Just like that things went from nice to zero vis and wet! So we slotted up to put some extra candle-power on the road and carefully wound our way down the mountain. Man, what an adreneline pump that was! shocked  

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

GeoffG
Instant Classic

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 10791

Posted 9/16/2011 10:36 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm with Martin...I try to avoid riding at night. Not to say I won't, or haven't, but...I prefer riding during daylight.

Richard47
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 5552

Posted 9/16/2011 12:17 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I hate riding at night, so I avoid it on my bikes. I don't even care much for driving at night. As I've got older, so my night vision has deteriorated. One of the downsides to being an old git!

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 9/16/2011 1:23 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
"Motorcycle accidents are more likely to occur at night. The number of fatalities increases at night (60 percent of all motorcycle fatalities occur at night)."

www.lawtigers.com/page/motorcycle-statistics.php#other-statistics

"Bikers killed at night were three times more likely to have blood alcohol concentrations of .08 g/dL or higher than those killed during the day. "

www.edgarsnyder.com/motorcycle-accident/statistics.html

Selling my one owner '97 TL1000S: www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372346

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 9/19/2011 9:31 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Those are telling numbers to be sure. Still, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do!! smilewinkgrin  It's good to keep those numbers in mind though and do what is required to stay safe. Gotta check that ego at the door!

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

Casper
The teddy bear of doom,,,

Date Joined Sep 2006
Total Posts : 4099

Posted 9/19/2011 1:42 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I love to ride in the daytime, and I will begrudgingly ride at night. I really really (REALLY!) hate to ride right at dawn & dusk. When the woods rats first wake up they drink, and when they're about to bed down they drink, and it both cases they cross roads to get to the river.

We see more at dawn & dusk than any other time. I will literally kill 30 minutes and let the sun get on down, it's that bad around here.

My $.02

The world's a funny place,
full of funny people,
doing funny things.

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 485

Posted 9/19/2011 4:42 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Night riding is as scary riding in heavy traffic with everyone going 75+ mph. The next pile up or critter at night is just waiting to get you. The ZX-14 has killer lights but the deer are smarter and love suicide.

Asphalt, the greatest tattoo remover.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 9/19/2011 6:53 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
RaptorFA said...
Those are telling numbers to be sure. Still, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do!! smilewinkgrin  It's good to keep those numbers in mind though and do what is required to stay safe. Gotta check that ego at the door!

Stock headlights don't cut it...No way, will a bike manufacturer put a real set of lights on.

Well Harley Highway lights are a step in the right direction...but Ya want to take on night riding, put auxilery lights on...Iron Butt riders address this first, and they don't do it for nothing.

And a real Sun blocking strip for your face shield..cause...there is Sun setting right on the horizon.and that might be right on the road in front of you.

Things can be difficult...So number one rule...have everything possible, you can do...in your favor. like a good boy scout, be prepaired. smilewinkgrin

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 9/19/2011 10:17 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am getting to the point of limiting my night riding, just because I feel I am pushing my luck. At best, I ride at reduced speeds at night simply to improve my limited sightline response time.

What does make me nervous is on two lanes at night, when an oncoming vehicle is close enough to cause you to look away for a moment to avoid night-sight-glare issues. At that time I have this inner fear of THAT being the moment a deer comes out from my side or from the other side, just at the moment when my vision/sightlines is the most limited.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

Casper
The teddy bear of doom,,,

Date Joined Sep 2006
Total Posts : 4099

Posted 9/20/2011 4:30 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Took the words from my mouth Andy. Don't maturity suck?

The world's a funny place,
full of funny people,
doing funny things.

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 9/20/2011 5:34 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Fear not my fellow riders, 11 days from now I will be in the woods. If its brown,its down.... Still have yet to feel redemption from my wrecked explorer from 3 years ago....

hopefully it will look somethin like this...

I agree that night riding is dangerous,Its a risk vs reward. I do it when I have too. It doesnt matter what time of nite it is here,stupid deer jump out in front of you,really stupid daredevils. And as we all know it usually ends in a catastrophe. Pretty much,Andy needs to get moving with his infared night vision camera deal ,make a million bucks and help keep our hides alive. lol

If I know Im going to be riding during the dusk to night,I always make sure I am wide awake,not fatigued,and insurance,cell phone are all in working order.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
track hack? 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc? who knows,cant decide....
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 9/20/2011 8:27 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
louemc said:

Stock headlights don't cut it...No way, will a bike manufacturer put a real set of lights on.

And a real Sun blocking strip for your face shield..cause...there is Sun setting right on the horizon.and that might be right on the road in front of you.

Things can be difficult...So number one rule...have everything possible, you can do...in your favor. like a good boy scout, be prepaired. 

These are extremely good points, Sir. I have been thinking about adding some auxiliary lighting. I have my 6K service coming up in about a week, so I think it's time I had a serious conversation with the guys at the shop and see what we can come up with. I will say that my headlight is pretty darn good, but it really isn't enough to deal with the woods I seem to find myself in. Sunsets can be a challenge as well. That first blast you get when you break out of the trees is pretty strong if you hit it right so you do have to be prepared for it. The inner visor on the EXO does a great job in this regard. I sat there for almost an hour recently making sure I knew EXACTLY where the lever is to actuate it! This paid off big as last night was one of he more incredible sunsets I have seen in a long while. But it was a huge contrast from the much darker setting of the woods and you have to react quickly. What a thing though to see that big ol' ball dipping into the ocean on the port side with this explosion of colors painting the sky and the entire bay Area spread out before you to starboard. I actually pulled over and took it all in for a while. cool

Amazing input from everyone on this subject. I for one appreciate it a great deal.  yeah  SID, go get 'em Brother! About the only thing I like about these unruly beasts is the way they taste! devil

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

Post Edited (RaptorFA) : 9/20/2011 3:53:08 PM GMT

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 9/20/2011 11:31 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
^^^ The guys at the shop, might not know squat about auxilery lights...Odds are they don't.

They will for sure say they do...but if they don't know, they don't know that they don't know.

The Iron butt competitors Know. Do what the Pro's do. It isn't easy, the lighting circuit has to be beefed up to handle the serious lights. But....it's all been done before.

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 9/20/2011 5:50 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Lou, based on your input I have done the logical thing - I went to the IBA! Got on their web site and found an excellent article on - you guessed it - HID and auxiliary lighting. It's only about 3 pages long, but there is a wealth of info within those 3 pages. Again, because the bike is very new there isn't a factory option for auxiliary lighting solutions, but the article has pointed me in a general direction that I can use as a starting point. Now I just have to find the balance between doing what the conditions call for and NOT doing anything that will endanger the bike's factory warranty. So here is where we can establish discussion points and figure out the best course of action to take.

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 9/20/2011 6:44 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I know You will do the right thing, Raptorman. Your that kinda person  smilewinkgrin

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 9/20/2011 6:54 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Raptor, you are right about the deer.  Even in daylight when there was a lot of construction on a tw0 lane to a four lane mountain road. 

I had eased off the wick for machinery or humans might get in the way.  What cought my attention was four Mule deer munching away at the grass in the ditch only 3 to 15 yds from all the noisy machinery & homan voices.

If one or several want to bolt actoss the road that was up to them.  After all the pine/fir trees were dense just back of the room for them to munch away.  THAT MEANS one or several can bolt across the road & we, as riders, or drivers will not know it for they are only hidden behind the dense pine/fir trees.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 10/29/2011 12:11:08 AM GMT

Ed__S
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2004
Total Posts : 730

Posted 9/20/2011 7:52 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Very mixed feelings on night riding.  Evenings up till around 12:00 I dearly love riding around here in north St Louis county. All streets are pretty well lit and traffic is practically non existant. It's peaceful, even tranquil. Especially after 10, when 2/3 of the stoplights change to night mode. One can just enjoy the ride. which is all but impossible during the day while surrounded by idiots & arrogant jerks.

However - we've been out on the rural two-lanes after dark & it can really give you the creeps. I've got wide angle lights mounted low that iluminate the road shoulders, also a SilverStar headlamp & road lamps, but I still tense up wondering when some critter will pop out.  Can't wait to get back to civilization & LIGHTS!
This is pretty much the opposite of my daytime riding attitude, when I can't wait to get out of town & love the rural roads.

The great part of night riding is that I can do it spur-of-the-moment & enjoy it, even if I only have a hour or two free. Can't do that during the day when it takes 45 minutes just to get away from the fools!

Ed

St Louis, Missouri
~~~~~~~~~~~
1986 Suzuki Cavalcade LXE (x2)
1986 Cavalcade LXE TRIKE
1986 Cavalcade LX  (sidecar rig)
1987 Cavalcade LXE (project bike)
1988 Cavalcade LX (soon for sale)

Post Edited (Ed__S) : 9/21/2011 3:11:40 AM GMT

jclax01
The world is ruled by Damned Dirty Apes

Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 5244

Posted 9/21/2011 4:42 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
1+ Ed, riding at night is not an issue at all for me. Me and Ed are both in st louis and everything is well lite around our parts. I have been out in the "sticks" at night and things are not well lite, but thats really not a problem for me either. rutting season for deer is a big issue and hunting season is also a bad time to be in the sticks. The only thing that used to worry me was crossing bridges (fear of heights), but now I actually love crossing bridges now.

Ride Hard or Stay home

1994 Kaw Vulcan 88
2007 Piago (my wifes punk ass 50cc scooter) 
1986 kaw Vulcan 750(rebooted and reloaded)

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 9/21/2011 8:34 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jclax, isn't it cool when you can confront those things that bother you and whip it's butt? That's what men do, Sir! Good on ya! Man, another incredible sunset last night. I'm soaking them up because I think we are getting a bit of late summer weather aroud here that will probably be somewhat short lived so I'm cashing in on the good conditions while they are here. Even a few days of not having to ride into that fog bank is a welcome relief. I think for today I'm gonna pass through the hills and push out to the coast. Sunset out there shold be epic! cool  I figure we are good for one more before the marine layer returns. Don't think I have done Highway 1 at night yet. This is gonna be good!  

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe