Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Newbies! > Night Riding!  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
57 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 9/21/2011 8:39 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
louemc said...
I know You will do the right thing, Raptorman. Your that kinda person  smilewinkgrin

You are most kind, Sir Lou. I appreciate the vote of confidence. yeah

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

GAJ
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 9/21/2011 10:56 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Raptor, mind those painted lines and arrows when encountering fog.

They can get slippery as snot with just a wee bit of moisture.

Selling my one owner '97 TL1000S: www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372346

jclax01
The world is ruled by Damned Dirty Apes

Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 5244

Posted 9/21/2011 4:19 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
RaptorFA said...
louemc said...

I know You will do the right thing, Raptorman. Your that kinda person smilewinkgrin

You are most kind, Sir Lou. I appreciate the vote of confidence. yeah

Talk about a VERY rare statement. lol lol

Ride Hard or Stay home

1994 Kaw Vulcan 88
2007 Piago (my wifes punk ass 50cc scooter) 
1986 kaw Vulcan 750(rebooted and reloaded)

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 9/21/2011 4:40 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jclax01 said...

Talk about a VERY rare statement. lol lol

I give credit, where credit is due. smilewinkgrin

Focus the forces, Be The Force

jclax01

Date Joined Jan 2008

Posted 9/21/2011 5:15 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
RaptorFA said...
Jclax, isn't it cool when you can confront those things that bother you and whip it's butt? That's what men do, Sir! Good on ya! Man, another incredible sunset last night. I'm soaking them up because I think we are getting a bit of late summer weather aroud here that will probably be somewhat short lived so I'm cashing in on the good conditions while they are here. Even a few days of not having to ride into that fog bank is a welcome relief. I think for today I'm gonna pass through the hills and push out to the coast. Sunset out there shold be epic! cool I figure we are good for one more before the marine layer returns. Don't think I have done Highway 1 at night yet. This is gonna be good!

Yes it is something to beat a fear and then embellish it. I dont know if you have had this experience yet, but I have gotten out very early (3:30 am on a long run) and been riding when the sun comes up. That is surreal to say the least......unless you are riding east....then it just sucks. lol Nothing like sun up coffee and breakfast on a long run.

Ride Hard or Stay home

1994 Kaw Vulcan 88

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 9/21/2011 6:30 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jclax01 said...

I dont know if you have had this experience yet, but I have gotten out very early (3:30 am on a long run) and been riding when the sun comes up. That is surreal to say the least......unless you are riding east....then it just sucks. lol Nothing like sun up coffee and breakfast on a long run.

No Sir, I have not had the pleasure... yet. There have been mornings where I have had to leave extra early for work and caught a sunrise, which was extremely cool but that doesn't count. I really am looking forward to that feeling of being on the road and doing that. I get stoked just thinking about it! I have to say that this sport is one the best things I have ever done. And I've only just started. I think the neatest thing about this is just working it, getting better every day and letting the journey unfold in it's own natural way. But the road is starting to call, and someday soon I am going to have to answer.   

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 9/21/2011 6:44 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
GAJ said...
Raptor, mind those painted lines and arrows when encountering fog.

They can get slippery as snot with just a wee bit of moisture.

Thank you, Geoff. What a great reminder. As you well know, the conditions around here can be very challenging and can change very quickly. Not quite like mountain terrain, but dynamic to be sure. You have to be ready for just about anything! That's why I pack extra stuff and try not to take anything for granted. But that's one of those things that can burn you bad. Point taken!  

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

Deacon Blues
The Imaginary Director

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 2946

Posted 9/22/2011 10:07 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
One thing I always hated about night riding was how visibility issues were magnified - you can get by with a dirty face-shield in daylight, but at night that thing has to be pristine, or lights and signs and such get blurred and distorted.

There's also the issues of wildlife, low visibility due to lighting (never ever outride your headlight if you can help it), and road condensation as the temperature drops.

I have a rule. I will ride under one set of hazardous conditions (night, rain, traffic, bad road) at a time! They start to double up, and I park the bike and wait for one of them to clear up first.

-------
Don't let Frank see that, or he'll make us put it in the movie.

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 9/23/2011 8:20 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Copy what you are saying, Deacon. You gotta do what you can to keep the odds in your favor. I thought at first that the biggest challenge of night riding was going to be the critters, but that's not really the case. The roads out here in Kalifornia are decaying to the point of becoming a real danger now. Between the holes that are open, the holes that were so badly patched, cracks, tar snakes, filth, uneven seams between lanes, it's pathetic what is happening to the infrastructure out here. And at night this only gets amplified. So lighting is now a priority which will be addessed first before any other upgrade. Then we will tune the suspension. We'll see after that!

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 9/24/2011 1:10 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

CONTACT!

You guys aren't going to believe this one. I got out of work on Friday and had an amazing run out to the coast. Definitely used up some sidewall on the way out on the back side of hwy 84, which is fast and smooth with great sight lines! But alas, when I got to hwy 1 our old friend the fog was back, and back in a big way. After 10-15 miles in the soup, I decided to turn around and head back inland and get back up the hill. Besides, this just gave me an excuse to make another pass on 84! devil 

I stopped at Alice's restaurant and allowed myself one beer and a snack. By this time the Sun was pretty well down, and the evening was shaping up to be a beauty as the fog was staying out on the beach. So after some refreshment and hobnobbing it was time to hit the road again. Enough time had elapsed since the beer, so I took my leave, mounted up and started the turn and burn down the mountain on hwy 35. At about the 2 mile mark I noticed I was taking a rather large amount of bug hits on my visor.

Then, out of nowhere, I was suddenly and violently hit in the face by none other than a Bat! Apparently he was feeding on the bugs that I was getting inundated with and just dipped down in front of me at exactly the wrong moment. The impact was so hard it moved my head back and made a hell of a bang, which startled me pretty good. I rolled off throttle a bit and just sort of checked myself; no pain in head or neck, Vision was good, helmet didn't appear broken, so I continued on and enjoyed a splendid run down the mountain and home, where just before the break out of the trees I also had to swerve to avoid a Raccoon that someone had collected just a while before. Pretty exciting stuff I must say!

When I got home my helmet told the story; a huge splat mark spread across the lower section of the visor and out across the chin bar and left side of the shell. Nothing was cracked, though, so all is well outside of the need for a major cleaning! A heck of a way to close out a week.

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

Post Edited (RaptorFA) : 9/26/2011 4:23:32 PM GMT

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 10/8/2011 12:35 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Man, another awsome run last night. After a few days of rain (which created some interesting rides in itself, but that is another story!) Friday turned out to be a really nice day. Visibility was incredible so when the Sun set the night lights were a sight to behold. I put about 80 on the way home just circling the bay. No woods either, just a straight freeway cruise.  There is something so tranquil about riding at night; it's just so much more quiet and there are the stars and the autum air is crisp and you feel more like you're in your own world yet still aware. I'm getting good at settling into the space between packs and creating a nice buffer when the cages are out. But it's the times when you have the road all to yourself and the world is laid out before you and the gentle purr of your motor is in your ears... man, that's the good stuff. You feel like you are flying under the radar!  

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

Deacon Blues
The Imaginary Director

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 10/8/2011 12:53 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
For those that either prefer to ride at night, or have to, please consider dressing up your ride, jacket, and/or helmet with retroreflective designs. You can buy tape that matches the color of the bike during the day, but glows brightly when illuminated at night. This will do wonders in making you more visible to other drivers. Plus, it doesn't put a load on your electrical system.

One design that is quite popular is the "Turn Signal Triangles" on the back of the helmet - simply create a double-headed block arrow design, and wrap it across the back of the helmet horizontally. As you turn your head, the design will appear to change from a solid line to an arrow, just like a turn signal.

And Raptor, I'd suppose all the squids up on 9 and 35 were all snug in their beds by that point, yeah?

"Lane splitting will never be accepted in those areas where driving is considered a martial art."

Current Ride: 1992 BMW K75RT "Sif"
Past Rides:
1985 Yamaha FZ750 "Diablesse"
1987 Yamaha FZ700 "Pandora"
1979 Yamaha XS750 "Cerberus"

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 10/8/2011 7:59 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Deacon Blues said...
For those that either prefer to ride at night, or have to, please consider dressing up your ride, jacket, and/or helmet with retroreflective designs. You can buy tape that matches the color of the bike during the day, but glows brightly when illuminated at night. This will do wonders in making you more visible to other drivers. Plus, it doesn't put a load on your electrical system.

One design that is quite popular is the "Turn Signal Triangles" on the back of the helmet - simply create a double-headed block arrow design, and wrap it across the back of the helmet horizontally. As you turn your head, the design will appear to change from a solid line to an arrow, just like a turn signal.

And Raptor, I'd suppose all the squids up on 9 and 35 were all snug in their beds by that point, yeah?

Yessir, so it seems! as this one was a freeway cruise I didn't have to worry too much about that but when I am in the woods yer absolutely right! No Squid-like creatures to be found! lol  That's why I wait till later. Obviously the chief concern at this point are the deer. And in reality with the seasons changing these night patrols in the woods are going to pretty much stop soon; gonna start riding the more established paths!

Good point about making yourself more visible, too. My jackets do have good reflective treatments, but the helmet treatment is a very good idea. Many thanks for that.

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 10/9/2011 6:58 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Try a sign shop for reflective vinyl sheets. 3m scotchlite is the best. thick as all 'ell though. so small shapes. but its bright,you can get several colors as well. It was about $15 for a 24"x36" sheet. Some places sell by the foot. Some places might just give you a scrap peice. Usually ones with a moto outside. hint hint nudge nudge. Either way its a really cheap way to be seen at night. If no sign shop,try a trailer store,they have reflective stuff you could use. Just wont look as good.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
track hack? 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc? who knows,cant decide....
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

martinjmpr
08 Triumph Scrambler

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 4681

Posted 10/11/2011 6:54 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jclax01 said...
 The only thing that used to worry me was crossing bridges (fear of heights), but now I actually love crossing bridges now.
If you live near the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers I would imagine a fear of bridges would be a serious handicap to riding. 

How do you like riding on those long bridges with "grated" flooring.  I always hated that when I was in Washington State (riding across the "new" Tacoma Narrows Bridge, the one that replaced "galloping Gertie" after WWII.)  shocked

Martin

Englewood, CO (Denver suburb)

UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) Fanatic

Previous Bikes:  '69 Honda CL450; '74 Honda CB750; '83 Honda 550 Nighthawk; '92 Yamaha Virago 1100; '83 Yamaha Maxim 750; '84 Kawasaki ZN700 LTD; '01 Triumph Thunderbird 900; '82 Kawasaki Spectre 750

Deacon Blues
The Imaginary Director

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 10/12/2011 12:42 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
martinjmpr said...
jclax01 said...

The only thing that used to worry me was crossing bridges (fear of heights), but now I actually love crossing bridges now.
If you live near the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers I would imagine a fear of bridges would be a serious handicap to riding.

How do you like riding on those long bridges with "grated" flooring. I always hated that when I was in Washington State (riding across the "new" Tacoma Narrows Bridge, the one that replaced "galloping Gertie" after WWII.) shocked

The grated bridges are just like grooved or 'scraped' pavement... the bike feels a bit squirmy up front. Relax, keep an even throttle hand, and ride across. :D

"Lane splitting will never be accepted in those areas where driving is considered a martial art."

Past Rides:

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 10/12/2011 1:24 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Deacon Blues said...
The grated bridges are just like grooved or 'scraped' pavement... the bike feels a bit squirmy up front. Relax, keep an even throttle hand, and ride across. :D
We have some of that type of pavement out here too, Deacon. Kinda freaked me out the first time I rode over it. But I kept my head, did just what you said, and it worked out just fine. Had to learn that on the fly, though. These are the kinds of things that you cannot really practice. Seat time is the real teacher in many cases. I'm still learning every day, too!

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 10/14/2011 9:02 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Man, another incredible cruise last night. We have had a real good stretch of warm days here which of course means warm nights, so I have been taking full advantage of the situation! And with no fog and a big full moon out the environment has been amazing. I put 168 miles on just on the way home riding through the hills, the woods, the coast and the freeway. Only burned 3.7 gallons of fuel doing it too, which measures out to 45.4 MPG. Pretty good, I think! I'm quite sure that is the best fuelly I have gotten to date. There are definitely different phases of the band in this motor; one that likes to just cruise and make good mileage, and another that likes to make power and run! The latter will sip quite a bit more fuel, but it sure is fun!! At night though you have to be careful not to out-ride the reach of your headlight. That can make things more exciting than it needs to be for sure! :-)

The bike and I seem to be getting more mentally linked or something too, because I swear I will be scanning the road and determining the types of moves I want to excecute and before I even know it the bike is doing it! Obviously that is not the case, but that's what it feels like. It's just cool, man!

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

mrmarklin
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2011
Total Posts : 299

Posted 10/14/2011 9:35 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Don't like riding at night and almost never do it....................

But for the times that I have to, I have aux lighting on the rear of my bike:  Harley sells an aftermarket lighting kit that lights up the turnsignals all the time, and they're red, tripling the number of lights on back.

Recently Harley has gone all LED and I bought the new headlamp.  It's a lot whiter, brighter and more noticeable.  Harley also sells LED running lights for the front of the bike as well, but haven't purchased these for esthetic reasons.  I also bought a HiViz jacket to wear.  A lot of reflection on it!

I feel safer riding the freeways at night here in NoCal than at my country cabin.  Deer and other animals are always a hazard from dusk to dawn in the wooded areas.smile

[IMG]http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u114/mrmarklin/IMG_6142.jpg[/IMG]

2008 Harley-Davidson Crossbones

jclax01

Date Joined Jan 2008

Posted 10/15/2011 7:10 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
deer are a serious matter when riding at night. I try to stay far away from the rural roads at night.

Ride Hard or Stay home

1994 Kaw Vulcan 88

Ed__S
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2004
Total Posts : 730

Posted 10/17/2011 3:27 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
martinjmpr said...
jclax01 said...

How do you like riding on those long bridges with "grated" flooring.  I always hated that when I was in Washington State (riding across the "new" Tacoma Narrows Bridge, the one that replaced "galloping Gertie" after WWII.)  shocked

We also have the Illinois & Meremac rivers to contend with, and too many small rivers to name.  And a little reading on the condition of those ancient bridges is pretty scary.  They won't admit it, but it sure seems that a few are open only because it's too costly to close or replace them! 
Yes, I have a "thing" about bridges too - and height! Never crossed a grated bridge on a bike - and never intend to. Before trips, I always check the type & rating of river bridges on the route, and I'll re-route if necessary.
While crossing a bridge, I try to find a big traffic gap first & just nail the throttle. If not, I'll focus totally on the vehicle ahead. And never, ever cross with a big truck visible behind me or oncoming.  Had one buzz by once on the 270N bridge over the Mississippi, I freaked so bad I had to get off the road as soon as we were on land!!
Ed

St Louis, Missouri
~~~~~~~~~~~
1986 Suzuki Cavalcade LXE (x2)
1986 Cavalcade LXE TRIKE
1986 Cavalcade LX  (sidecar rig)
1987 Cavalcade LXE (project bike)
1988 Cavalcade LX (soon for sale)

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 10/27/2011 12:11 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Ah, another fire-lit sky and on into the night. I'm diggin these night runs a great deal, fellas. It has this completely edgy feel to it but it has nothing to do with speed. I'm running at a very moderate pace and picking nice safe lines. There is this feeling of solitude in being in the forest at night; it's a very dynamic place. Being able to see the star field over the canopy, feeling the night air (it's getting colder now) is kind of addicting. Your senses just peak out there! And then when I got back on the freeway a couple of other bikes approached and we just sort of formed up and three-shipped it for a pretty good stretch. It was pretty sweet.

I'm definitely looking into some lighting solutions and I think I may be onto something that won't entail fabrication of custom brackets. I'm considering going with a 45W (not 55W! these are new) set of HIDs that will throw a 35 degree beam each and is manually switched. LEDs are another option. These would mount below the outer edge of the fairing so as not to be too conspicuous but still throw a nice light. There are other things as well but somehow I like this one. Gonna upgrade the stock low-beam also. I have already confirmed with the Suzuki techs that the bike has the power to support this. So my evil plan is taking shape!

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

Post Edited (RaptorFA) : 10/27/2011 7:48:21 AM GMT

AtvMinibike
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2011
Total Posts : 35

Posted 10/27/2011 11:34 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Riding a motorcycle after dark can be anything from a sub-par and dangerous experience to one that is an enjoyable and equally safe alternative to daytime riding.And if you crash in the middle of nowhere, well, that could be a bad scenario, no doubt.

anrfknm
vroc #13815 - rolling blunder #182

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 2727

Posted 10/28/2011 6:09 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The older I get the more difficult it is to ride at night.

It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself.

Thomas Jefferson

Deacon Blues
The Imaginary Director

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 11/2/2011 12:14 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Deer are definitely up on my List.

Whilst riding on I-30 from Texarkana to Arkadelphia this last weekend, after it got dark I was seeing all sorts of deer browsing on the grassy verge, just shy of the trees. Unlike a lot of deer, though, they didn't even flinch with semis rocketing past at 80mph.

I was glad I didn't have to ride in the dark very far.

Past Rides: