Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Newbies! > Big Guy unsure about what bike to start on  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
29 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

colossusbird
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2011
Total Posts : 3

Posted 9/25/2011 9:30 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am 6'2" and weigh in about 280-300lbs and i will soon be taking the Basic Riding Course around where i live and then soon after will be buying a bike, i have a dirt bike that i love riding. But I just don't know if i am looking at the wrong type of bikes for my build. I have been looking at 3 different bikes. A Kawasaki Vulcan 500, A 2000 Suzuki SV650. and a Suzuki GS500. I dont know if i am looking way out of my range, because my friend that has been riding for a while said i should probably get a 500-600cc bike because of my size. I would very much like some help on which bike is a great starter for a big guy like me. thank you

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 9/25/2011 10:05 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
colossusbird said...
I dont know if i am looking way out of my range,
You're doing fine.  A guy your size probably could handle a 750 or 800 too.
You will have a better handle on the situation after the course.

Look for something that fits relatively good; doesn't have to be perfect as your first bike is just for "training" for most people.

AND please search out the previous threads here where this has been asked and answered a thousand times before.  Regardless of your size, weight, age, experinece, etc., etc.........the basics are always the same.

MDGeorge
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2008
Total Posts : 856

Posted 9/25/2011 11:02 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am 5'9" and weigh 170. I had no experience when I bought my first bike except the Basic Riders Course.
My first bike was a Vulcan 900 and I out grew it in 6 months.
Whatever you get, buy used, buy small. Get a bike you can drop and it won't hurt your feelings.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 9/25/2011 11:16 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
colossusbird said...
I am 6'2" and weigh in about 280-300lbs and i will soon be taking the Basic Riding Course around where i live and then soon after will be buying a bike, i have a dirt bike that i love riding. But I just don't know if i am looking at the wrong type of bikes for my build. I have been looking at 3 different bikes. A Kawasaki Vulcan 500, A 2000 Suzuki SV650. and a Suzuki GS500. I dont know if i am looking way out of my range, because my friend that has been riding for a while said i should probably get a 500-600cc bike because of my size. I would very much like some help on which bike is a great starter for a big guy like me. thank you
Well, You don't want a 600, that's for sure.

What you do want...well that depends on where you're using the bike, and Your taste in bikes.

Just something you decide.  Ya have to know something, if ya ride a dirt bike, and been around others, while doing it.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Richard47
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 5552

Posted 9/25/2011 1:55 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
colossusbird said...
. A Kawasaki Vulcan 500, A 2000 Suzuki SV650. and a Suzuki GS500. I dont know if i am looking way out of my range, because my friend that has been riding for a while said i should probably get a 500-600cc bike because of my size.
Because of your size and weight, why not consider a 650cc dual sport? Easy to ride, moderate power with ample torque, light yet spacious. You should feel at home on one after riding your dirt bike.

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

jclax01
The world is ruled by Damned Dirty Apes

Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 5244

Posted 9/26/2011 8:27 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I started out on a kaw 550 ltd and I am probably a bisquit or two heavier and taller than you. word of advice, no bike is really ever gonna fit you. You have to find the bike that is most comfortable to your size and your wallet. Right now I ride a vulcan 1500 and I had to do some mods to it to improve the comfort. The biggest thing that helped me was to add some highway bars so I can strech my legs out.

Ride Hard or Stay home

1994 Kaw Vulcan 88
2007 Piago (my wifes punk ass 50cc scooter) 
1986 kaw Vulcan 750(rebooted and reloaded)

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 9/26/2011 11:13 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Check out the Kawasaki Versys after you take and pass the course.

We had one guy on here who bought a large cruiser before the course and even after the course is too scared to ride it.

Selling my one owner '97 TL1000S: www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372346

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 10/17/2011 10:45 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I was sitting outside of the doctor's place, obviously waiting for it to be opened.

What sort of cought my attention I parked in a school zone, & had a woman, probably the mother of a boy, come tearing in like she was at a race.  Later on in on a walkway she came out actually peeling the tyres.  Yet I saw a number of normal cages to some truck, to quite a number hauling bins of apples two high & headed to the packing house, to also two logging rigs, with some norml logs to some darn big ones.

FINALLY two on 560cc Suzy & Kawasaki irons puttering around town & they seemed to be doing well considering all the stupid round-abouts to the roads becomming narrower due to sidewalks on both sides & in the center are these stupid cement things of which will have lawn planted, trees, to shrubs not to mention the watering of it all mowing & such which is totally new to this small town.

Even the Grey Hound Bus people had to bitch at the start for when coming in from the shouth the had to almlost use the wheels to get over a few, & it was an impossible toll to come out of their building & to head to the north along with another round-about.  TWO OF THOSE CEMENT DREAMS were removed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Casper
The teddy bear of doom,,,

Date Joined Sep 2006
Total Posts : 4099

Posted 10/17/2011 11:59 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
KLR650. Tall guy, tall bike, good fit and tons'o'fun.

The world's a funny place,
full of funny people,
doing funny things.

lionlady
-----Mistress of Novices. -Total miles: 85,000+

Date Joined Sep 2003
Total Posts : 2759

Posted 10/17/2011 1:45 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
A Vstrom 650 (same engine as the SV650) - a bit "peppier" than a typical starter machine. If you do well with the basics of clutch/throttle coordination, and braking in the BRC, the "Wee Strom" is worth a look. Taller seat for your height. An SV will have you feeling cramped and uncomfortable if you intend to ride longer than 30 minutes or so at a time.

P

ATGATT: Because walking away in disgust, beats riding away in an ambulance.

colossusbird
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2011
Total Posts : 3

Posted 10/17/2011 6:11 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have an 1981 Enduro and that dirt bike is tall and im like tip toeing it. so im thinking something around 30inches should be fine, and im more upper torso then legs,

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 10/17/2011 7:18 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I'm 6'3, 250 and I am a bit different than you in that I am fairly long-legged. I had to just go and sit on a bunch of different machines to try and get an idea of what was going to be comfortable. And I sat on a bunch of stuff. Some of the larger cruisers were extremely nice but very big, heavy and not exactly what I was after. The FJR1300 was fantastic but I could not deal with the price tag, and she was big and heavy as well. If I had a bit more experience, I would have bought the FJR even with the heavy price tag. But I didn't feel quite right about it as a first bike. And then one day I drifted into a dealer and threw my leg over the GSX1250FA and my butt just hit this sweet spot on the seat. The sales rep held up the bike ao I could put both feet on the pegs and it was just right!

I couldn't believe it so I dismounted, walked around a little bit, came back to the bike and WHAM! My butt hit the same spot, felt just as sweet as the first time. I did this for quite a while, trying other bikes in between just to be objective. The rep was laughing his @ss off at me but I wanted to be sure, ya know! We had a good time with it though. Nothing felt as nice to me as the FA did. I know it's a bit more bike than one would recommend for a noob, but it fit all of the criteria, the dealer came correct on the price and when something feels that good to ya, ya just have to go with it! SO I did. My trusty steed and I are very happy together! lol

Moral of the story is that you just have to go, sit, feel etc until you find the one that fits the best. It may take a while and It may not be the machine you had pictured in your head, but it will be worth it in the end.

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 10/18/2011 4:49 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
colossus,in 1981 moto companies didnt have a wide range of adjustability like they have now.Go check out a modern dual sport. tip toeing through moto life is no longer necessary. I saw a recommendation for a klr650. good bike,also try Suzukis dr line,honda XR's. all great. plus hold on to the resale numbers so you can sell and move up. Good luck.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
track hack? 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc? who knows,cant decide....
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 10/19/2011 6:13 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

For what it's worth, I have stumbled across a very cool online ergo tool to help one get an idea of how a bike may or may not fit:

http://cycle-ergo.com

Give it a try, it's very cool! yeah

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

MDGeorge
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2008

Posted 10/20/2011 12:55 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey, why mess around... Just go on and get the Triumph Rocket 3, and be done with it...

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 10/20/2011 1:27 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
From a Triumph site:

"The Rocket III is a whirling, mechanised cyclone of power. Its three fuel-injected cylinders displace a monstrous 2,294cc and pump out 147lb-ft of torque. That amazing output is fed to the giant 240-section rear tyre via a five-speed gearbox and shaft drive, while the massively strong steel frame, upside-down forks and Daytona 955i spec four-piston brake calipers elementally contain the Rocket III's potential."

All this and a mere 704 pounds dry. You sure know how to pick 'em, Geroge! smilewinkgrin

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

Phil B
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 126

Posted 10/21/2011 1:39 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
RaptorFA said...
For what it's worth, I have stumbled across a very cool online ergo tool to help one get an idea of how a bike may or may not fit:

http://cycle-ergo.com

Give it a try, it's very cool! yeah

Wow.. Nice site!!

but no gs500f..aww.
wait.. they call it a "standard". Pfft.

jclax01
The world is ruled by Damned Dirty Apes

Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 5244

Posted 10/23/2011 8:50 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Are you guys serious about the rocket 3????? way too big and powerfull for a beginer.

Ride Hard or Stay home

1994 Kaw Vulcan 88
2007 Piago (my wifes punk ass 50cc scooter) 
1986 kaw Vulcan 750(rebooted and reloaded)

MDGeorge
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2008

Posted 10/24/2011 5:45 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
rolleyesrollturn:proll        

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 10/24/2011 10:16 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Heck no, Clax! I was kiddin fer sure, as I'm quite sure George was! This thing is a monster!! lol

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

AtvMinibike
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2011
Total Posts : 35

Posted 10/25/2011 10:37 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Surveys condition motorcycle who want to buy, with the community. Surely they will be happy to tell you about the history or the specification of the motorcycle. You can ask for opinions on whether a motorcycle accident is never visible, or what the benefits and shortfalls.

Deacon Blues
The Imaginary Director

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 2946

Posted 10/26/2011 11:55 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
*shakes head at the inscrutable marketing-speak*

650 dual-sport (Kawi KLR650, Suzuki Vstrom), 750 adventure-sport (BMW GS models, or smaller Triumph Tiger).

Buy used, not pristine condition but not hammered-up, something you can learn on w/o being worried too much about appearances.

"Lane splitting will never be accepted in those areas where driving is considered a martial art."

Current Ride: 1992 BMW K75RT "Sif"
Past Rides:
1985 Yamaha FZ750 "Diablesse"
1987 Yamaha FZ700 "Pandora"
1979 Yamaha XS750 "Cerberus"

bigd
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2011
Total Posts : 1

Posted 11/6/2011 6:00 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm in the same boat I'm 6ft 4 in and 300 lb . I have not rode a bike in over 25 years . So it just like starting over again . I'm looking a dual sport in the 650 range . But i'm worried a 650 will not have enough durability to keep up wit my brothers on there goldwings and harleys for long rides.

Casper
The teddy bear of doom,,,

Date Joined Sep 2006
Total Posts : 4099

Posted 11/7/2011 12:45 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jclax01 said...
Are you guys serious about the rocket 3????? way too big and powerfull for a beginer.

All these guys are 6'8" and 300lbs - NFL Linemen.  So,,,  big powerful bike for a big powerful beginner.

Makes perfect sense, donut?  eyes

KLR650.  Tall, powerful (enough), cheap, bulletproof.  You won't regret it.

The world's a funny place,
full of funny people,
doing funny things.

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 11/7/2011 1:16 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
bigd said...
I'm in the same boat I'm 6ft 4 in and 300 lb . I have not rode a bike in over 25 years . So it just like starting over again . I'm looking a dual sport in the 650 range . But i'm worried a 650 will not have enough durability to keep up wit my brothers on there goldwings and harleys for long rides.
the dual sport 650's power to weight ratio matches or is better than most harleys so you shouldn't have to worry about keeping up...