Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Newbies! > Big Guy unsure about what bike to start on  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
29 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Mr1200Madura
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2012
Total Posts : 5

Posted 1/7/2012 3:03 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
well 1st of all about your size you arent that big, our meat cutter is almost 2xs your weight, as far as a bike goes get the 1 that you like, my opion or some 1 elses opion is jsut that, its our opion. Ride what you want, your paying for it, riding it, pulling all the maintance on it. Myself I ride a 1985 Suzuki 1200 madura that is in show room condition that engine tranny, everthing is. This is the bike I luv, so just ride what you like, dont waste time on Junk. I have a friend of mine who spent $16,000.00 on a freaking Harley, he didnt even like it, he was presured into buying it, now he is stuck with $300.00 a month payments

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 485

Posted 1/7/2012 6:24 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Golly GEE, wish I owned a super fast 1200 Zook. Must be the best bike in the universe.
Mr1200Madura said...
well 1st of all about your size you arent that big, our meat cutter is almost 2xs your weight, as far as a bike goes get the 1 that you like, my opion or some 1 elses opion is jsut that, its our opion. Ride what you want, your paying for it, riding it, pulling all the maintance on it. Myself I ride a 1985 Suzuki 1200 madura that is in show room condition that engine tranny, everthing is. This is the bike I luv, so just ride what you like, dont waste time on Junk. I have a friend of mine who spent $16,000.00 on a freaking Harley, he didnt even like it, he was presured into buying it, now he is stuck with $300.00 a month payments

Asphalt, the greatest tattoo remover.

Richard47
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 5552

Posted 1/8/2012 2:34 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ride what you like is not a very helpful response to a new rider seeking something suitable to start on. It's possible to start on any bike at all, however unsuitable, just as it is possible to be headed up in a barrel and go over the Niagara Falls. I'm not sure which is the more foolhardy. The OP is asking which type of bike most suitable for him to learn on, once he has the hang of things he can ride a Madura if he so wishes.  

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 1/8/2012 11:35 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mr1200Madura said...
... as far as a bike goes get the 1 that you like, my opion or some 1 elses opion is jsut that, its our opion.

i can see that point because we have different backgrounds/experiences so therefore, opinions do vary. i find that as long as a newbie finds a bike that he/she is comfortable and confident learning on, he/she does well from observations over the years regardless of the bike's brand/class/model/size. not all big bikes work for everyone, not all small bikes work for everyone, not all cruisers, sportbikes, standards, etc., work for everyone.

i think RaptorFA have a good point with this comment:

"Moral of the story is that you just have to go, sit, feel etc until you find the one that fits the best. It may take a while and It may not be the machine you had pictured in your head, but it will be worth it in the end. "

although RaptorFA started on a gsx1250fa which has similar size and power to your 85' madura 1200 btw, and it's "perfect" for him. will it work just as well for some other newbies? probably to some, and not for others but only those individuals can determine that.

regardless of which bike it may be, i'm a big fan of cheap used mechanically sound bikes for beginners so i'll chime that in when needed but it still comes down to the individual...