Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Newbies! > wife won't talk yo me after buying a new harley  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
40 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Oldest Post First ]

Mr1200Madura
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2012
Total Posts : 5

Posted 1/7/2012 2:52 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
1 would thing of getting a mtorcycle that will eventually ruin 1's marriage could pick something better than a Harley

Smitty
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 11/24/2011 12:58 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

i did not suggest you put the HD aside & go for something like 250cc or 500cc which I highly believe in.  I felt the others would come up with good suggestions.

I doubt if you have read all the threads on this post, but it being part owner of a m/c most of our beginners bought a 125cc two-stroke to lean on, obviously we took it back on a trade-in for a sensible 350cc that was used by in prime condition according to our shop and around the next year they would do the same of trading in the 350cc for a 500cc single or twin, often used but again in prime condition OR in some cases it might be a new bike.

HD was just a maze of junk.  Mind you we sold a few 1000cc OHV Vencent bikes use or new, but very, very few purchased the Vincent used in prime contition or new for they were costly along with being a lot of top end weight to sort of possible & some felt it had a maze of power, but really not for they only represented 49hp.

So what we had was some buyers of sensible bikes.  I use to work on some of the kids 125cc they talked their father into & I might pick up the bike leaning against the fence for a low price as I knew it needed so many hours to some costly parts YET this was often one of the ring-dingers all around town to obtain some minor items we needed in the shop.  For what the 'ell I was just riding in town & I could be going at the Max Speed limit to a bit faster if I wished.   NOT a hwy bike I will admit though the 350cc would be ideal & the latest few 250cc bikes from Honda to some others will do the same on the hwys.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 485

Posted 11/23/2011 7:43 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm at the age now where the family is all grown up, including the Grand Daughters. Motorcycles have always been my love, all bikes of any form. Finally don't need to sell off a bike for new drapes, carpet, or things that simply are just no fun or an absulote must in the minds of the fairer sex. Having Thanksgiving dinner, tomorrow, with X wife #2. She is excited about the new bike and so are the children, Great children, etc. If your not happy, no one around you is either. I'm tickled and at a point, that making their life a good experiance pleases me as well. Just never ask me to trade new carpet for my motorcycle with new carpet that is just out of fashion, and still fresh within just a year. You will lose, motorcycles will win. Family always comes first, vanity and keeping up with the Jones' is a fail.

Asphalt, the greatest tattoo remover.

Meanie_Intruder
Posted a Pic of a Man Thong

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 2099

Posted 11/23/2011 12:33 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
one2watch said...
..you might want to ask if this was my first bike before your condescending jaw starts flapping........just a thought

Someone did ask this question in your "Tension" post and you failed to answer. Do you believe people in here have ESP?

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people"

martinjmpr
08 Triumph Scrambler

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 4681

Posted 11/23/2011 8:25 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm no expert on marriage, but if I was a guessing man, I'd say that the motorcycle purchase has been a subject of discussion for some time in the OPs household, and the wife probably put her foot down and said "no", then the husband went out and got it anyway.

So it's not just the potentially dangerous nature of the motorcycle, it's also the fact that he made a major purchase without getting the wife's approval. That's just plain disrespectful, whether it's a motorcycle or a sports car or a bag of magic beans.

Also, some women feel threatened by a motorcycle - not by the physical danger of it (although that is a factor) but because they see it as something a man gets so he can get away from his wife, so more of a threat to the marriage. And to be fair, it's not an entirely unfounded fear - some guys buy motorcycles for that very reason, to have a part of their life that their spouse isn't involved in.

Bottom line, it's not the bike itself thats the source of the trouble, it's the way he went about getting it. He's going to have some issues to work out with his wife that have nothing to do with learning to ride.

Martin

Englewood, CO (Denver suburb)

UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) Fanatic

Previous Bikes:  '69 Honda CL450; '74 Honda CB750; '83 Honda 550 Nighthawk; '92 Yamaha Virago 1100; '83 Yamaha Maxim 750; '84 Kawasaki ZN700 LTD; '01 Triumph Thunderbird 900; '82 Kawasaki Spectre 750

Hellfighter
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2007
Total Posts : 201

Posted 11/22/2011 11:32 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Congrats on your new ride. Enjoy your Harley.

On Iron Horse He Gladly Dies

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 11/19/2011 11:08 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Besides the $500,00.00 life insurance being a good idea, now if you have that sort of money why not buy her some darn good Sterling Silver knife, fork, spoon & such???????????

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

mrmarklin
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2011
Total Posts : 299

Posted 11/19/2011 8:06 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
one2watch said...
she says ill kill myself on it. she says won't talk 2 me until i get rid of the bike.....well its going to be real quite around here because the bike is staying

I shoulda been so lucky! freaked

[IMG]http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u114/mrmarklin/IMG_6142.jpg[/IMG]

2008 Harley-Davidson Crossbones

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 11/18/2011 10:48 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
wrath186 said...
Just a thought, because I didn't see it in any of the posts, did you ask your wife to join you?  Maybe if she was included she wouldn't be so angry.  Though I think that she's more upset that you went and spent so much money without consulting her.

Also, what kind of gear have you invested in.  If you can show her that you're out to have fun, but be responsible and cautious she might be more reasonable. 

I'm not making any claims or assumptions, there's been plenty of those thrown around in this thread already, just trying to maybe point out some over looked ideas.

Hope this helps.

Yes, this. There was very intense and spirited negotiations between my bride and I before I made my purchase (I'm a noob, too, btw) and I am convinced that involving her in the process was absolutely vital to achieving a positive outcome. Of course you are past that point but there is still the oppurtunity to get her involved and make her part of the experience, so this is a great point, wrath. Let it be known that even with all this she still didn't want me to do it but I did it anyway. But she's cool with it now BECAUSE...

I made a promise to her (and to myself) that I would do this in a responsible and practical manner, starting with taking the MSF course. I learned a ton in this course so it was worth every penny spent on it. And then I geared up. I simply factored it all in as part of the bike purchase. And I wear all of it every time out, no exceptions.

So that's my .02 on the matter. We have one major objective here - and that is to keep you safe. The guys and gals on this board continue to amaze me with the amount of knowledge and experience they have. They have, and continue to educate me on all things connected with this great sport. So welcome, Steve, enjoy the safety course, stay safe and best of luck on the home front.  

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

one2watch
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2011
Total Posts : 15

Posted 11/17/2011 11:05 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
thank you andy that meant alot

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 11/17/2011 5:03 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well put Caddman. Steve, we have a core group of hard-core posters on this forum (myself included) who treat this place like our own cycle garage, door up, sitting around talking bout bikes, riding, and how life is made better by bikes in all forms.

Like a group of buds hanging out in the garage, if some stranger simply walks in spoutin and talkin, without us getting to know who this newbie is, well, we tend to react a bit testy.

So, good on you for sharing yourself with us. Thanks, cause isn't always easy. It should not have to be that way, but here it is. We treat this place like its our own, and we have a LOT of tribal/life/biking knowledge here. We just like to know who we're talkin to is all. We're actually very supportive here, in an arrogant/we know it all kind of way. Hang in there, and welcome to the garage, grab a drink, plop on a stool and tells us about your biking.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

Mr-Show
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2011
Total Posts : 42

Posted 11/17/2011 12:46 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Put that bike in the living room and get a Suzuki GS 500 till you feel safe riding!! maybe your wife will feel better about it too! Less weight and less horses!

one2watch
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2011

Posted 11/17/2011 12:31 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
i just reviewed my 1st post in this thread. i really arrogant and that I'm a domineering husband ,I'm not.my wife and i are best friends i made a mistake and kinda dished her.but she is mostly worried about me. am a lucky man to have a wife as mine.for the last 20 years she has always been there for me ask have been for her.this is the first large purchase i have ever made. i am not telling you all of this so you will like me.im telling you this because i looked at my first post and was embarrassed. i will try to finish this school and take it slowly.i don't take all of the years of experience that is on this thred for granted.

thank you again steve

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 11/17/2011 11:48 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My apologies for assuming that posting about a bike you are having trouble with, evidently bought impulsively without consulting "she who must be obeyed," prior to taking the MSF, in the "Newbie" section, led me to the audacious conclusion that you were a new rider with your first bike. lol

But really, we all hope it works out for you and you learn in controlled small steps.

Here's the definition of "Newbie" from Wiki:

Newbie or noob is a slang term for a novice or newcomer, or somebody inexperienced in any profession or activity.

Selling my one owner '97 TL1000S: www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372346

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 17674

Posted 11/17/2011 7:50 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I gotta stick my 2 cents in here too...
The reception a new member gets on a forum is all about how they present themselves in the first few posts. It can determine whether they'll get help or get ignored. It determines whether they'll be readily accepted or will become targets of opportunity. You didn't really introduce yourself at all. You gave us no info about yourself or your wife or your experience nor nuthin'!

Your first post in this thread was like a drive-by shooting. You sprayed a couple angry comments out the window and vanished. You really don't have much room to complain when you find yourself dodging return fire.

"When in doubt, ride."
Cadd................................Clovis CA
2004 Nomad 1500............"Baggins"
qmann at asdiengr dot com
http://hooligancruisers.proboards102.com

one2watch
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2011

Posted 11/17/2011 7:40 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
i agree with what u said. i did not look at it that way.thank you all 4 ur FREE advise.i guess thats what this thread is for thax again. steve

one2watch
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2011

Posted 11/17/2011 7:32 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
thank you all

wrath186
There's something in your eye. Here let me get it

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 880

Posted 11/17/2011 6:52 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just a thought, because I didn't see it in any of the posts, did you ask your wife to join you?  Maybe if she was included she wouldn't be so angry.  Though I think that she's more upset that you went and spent so much money without consulting her.

Also, what kind of gear have you invested in.  If you can show her that you're out to have fun, but be responsible and cautious she might be more reasonable. 

I'm not making any claims or assumptions, there's been plenty of those thrown around in this thread already, just trying to maybe point out some over looked ideas.

Hope this helps.

Just once, I'd like to be a puppet master and have nothing go wrong.  Is that too much to ask?

Casper
The teddy bear of doom,,,

Date Joined Sep 2006
Total Posts : 4099

Posted 11/17/2011 6:38 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Interesting stuff, lots'a psychology going on here.

Imagine for a minute that you're a classical violinist. You started lessons when you were 4, and you're now 27 and hold an MA from Julliard. So you log on to www.violinmasters.com or something and a guy comes in and posts this:

"I GOT THIS FIDL FROM MY UNCLE. IT SAYS 'GARNIERI' OR SOMETHING, UNCLE PAID A LOT OF $$$ FOR IT. I KEEP IN THE FREEZER. I CAN PLAY TWINKLE TWINKLE LTL STATR."

Well, how would you react? This is kind'a like that, except that bad fiddle players don't often die on the side of the highway. We are people who have made a lifetime study of the skills and techniques of motorcycling. It's not simple, it's not easy, and belittling a lifetime of learning with "I bot a screaming dyna - how do i ride it", like you think we can write that skill set on the back of a McDonalds napkin rubs folks the wrong way. Don't take it personally.

Enjoy your MSF class, you'll get a lot out of it. Where are you that they're still doing BRC's in late November? Here in ohio we finished our season over a month ago.

The world's a funny place,
full of funny people,
doing funny things.

Andy VH

Date Joined Apr 2005

Posted 11/17/2011 12:19 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
These kind of decisions always sting a bit, but there are a lot of us here who have been there, done that. So aside that some of us get kinda sharp in our responses, we all mean well. Buck up, ride your best ride, always.

one2watch
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2011

Posted 11/16/2011 7:13 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
thank you all 4 ur advise.even when it stings a bit

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 11/16/2011 6:28 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Chimin in.... ZXR,and clax,are painting proper pictures. LOL New wife....pricey though a viable option

So,what are you giving up dude? Shes got you now,diamonds,botox,you quite possibly have bought the most expensive bharley ever. Good luck. At least your still living,it would have been the last day on earth for me. DRT

ZXR is right while in jest, bump up the life insurance plan. Most sensible,responsible riders have good life insurance plans.

As andy has eluded to, Use your head. Safety starts between the ears.

I would recommend buying a new couch as well,you will be sleeping there for a long while.

cheers

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc on order baby.... march 2012
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 485

Posted 11/16/2011 6:01 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Get a life insurance policy for $500,000 and she will insist you ride. Plus take a motorcycle safety course, that will let you have both worlds. When dealing with gals you must stay the Alpha male, they hate whimps.

Asphalt, the greatest tattoo remover.

Andy VH

Date Joined Apr 2005

Posted 11/16/2011 5:47 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Now you have to prove yourself a bunch of ways:
Number ONE, communicate with your wife before making a purchase like that. A move like this without wifey appoval and participation can mean a LOT of cold lonely nights in the garage, polishing your, bike.
Number TWO, prove yourself by taking and passing the rider training course. Things are a LOT different on bikes these days.
Number THREE, prove that you can ride the thing. Because based on your first post "Tension" is sure sounded to us like you had no prior riding experience.

Not dissing on you, but some of the things you described in your first post sure sounded like it was coming from someone who had never ridden a bike at all.

Take the course and really concentrate on the cornering techniques, pressing to lean, looking through the turn to the exit, smooth clutch action, and very smooth throttle into AND through the turn, which all help make a big bike handle the turns. But especially, if your bike has a super-fat rear tire it takes a LOT more counter-steering input and some upper body input to make those bikes lean and keep the lean steady.

jclax01
The world is ruled by Damned Dirty Apes

Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 5244

Posted 11/16/2011 5:20 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You can always find another wife.

Ride Hard or Stay home

1994 Kaw Vulcan 88
2007 Piago (my wifes punk ass 50cc scooter) 
1986 kaw Vulcan 750(rebooted and reloaded)