Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Newbies! > '72 kawasaki f7  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

1972.F7
Enduro Newb

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2011
Total Posts : 9

Posted 12/6/2011 10:01 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
i just bought my first bike. i have ridden a bit, but this is my first bike. its a 175 cc 2 stroke enduro/dual sport bike. got it for 350 bucks. pretty good considering it started on the first kick on a cold day when the guy wheeled it out of his shed. i have a few questions tho. i want to bring it back to its original street legal state, but in its 40 years of service, its been stripped of all the lighting and guages. do you think it would be cheaper to buy the original used parts one by one, or get a 350-500 dollar kit with all the lighting ect.? it has the wiring and headlight, but thats it. and the headlight doesnt work. even the key has been bypassed at some point. (its not stollen. i assume one of the previous owners just lost it.) it all seems to have been done pretty well, just the years of use have taken thier toll. also what oil does the gearbox/transmission take? and what else should i check before riding it much? before i pour my time and money into this bike, id like to know it will be worth it. i have all the basic hand tools, and quite a few power tools, along with basic 2 stroke knowlage at my disposal when it comes to fixing up this old beauty.  i  know very little about this bike. great forum, hope to talk to you all soon and learn alot. thanks.

Richard47
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 5552

Posted 12/7/2011 2:37 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I would be intersted to add an F7 to my old Suzuki's, they are relatively rare machines and a little bit different to the other Jap bikes. They were never sold here in England, but a handful have made it over here in recent years. You may be able to add to its value by returning it to its original condition, if you put non original parts on it will remain a $350 dollar bike. If I were you I would look on eBay frequently (I look each day) to find the used parts you need. You will find you spend more than the bike is worth, the up side of this is the bike isn't going to depreciate like a new one and will gain in value as the years pass. I notice that old bike prices have firmed up considerably in recent years.

I doubt if you will find many, if any, here that have experience of that bike. I haven't. I do have a disc valve Suzuki though and if the f7 is the same you will find that semi-synthetic two-stroke oil will be fine in the oil tank ( I assume it isn't a 'pre-mix' bike) and an ordinary 10-40 oil in the transmission will do. Don't use one marked 'EC' as it may cause clutch slip. There will be a quantity marked somewhere on the motor or possibly a screw that can be removed to gauge the level, or a dip-stick.

You should invest in a manual and get as much information about the bike as you can. Again, eBay should help here if you are patient. Let us know how you get on.

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

1972.F7
Enduro Newb

Date Joined Dec 2011

Posted 12/7/2011 6:36 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the excellent advice. It is in fact oil injected. And the transmission has a glass peep hole with a yellow dot in the middle. I assume thats where it should be filled to, but ill make sure before I fill it. Is there anything I should check before I ride it around in the field, since it is an old bike. I would hate to mess it up with ignorance. Already checked the reeds, fuel lines, air intake, and brakes. Brakes need replaced but they still have enough stopping power for riding in the open pasture.

Richard47
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004

Posted 12/7/2011 6:53 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
No, I don't think you need to do much except check the oils and the tires, they may be rotted, old ones usually are. Oh, and make sure the chain is not too loose or too tight and is not dry. Two strokes like this are pretty simple and if it has been started regularly you should be good to go. 
I belong to the Vintage Japanese MC and their magazine came in the mail today. Amazingly, just inside the cover was a pic of an f7! How about that for coincidence?

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

1972.F7
Enduro Newb

Date Joined Dec 2011

Posted 12/7/2011 7:02 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The front tire was almost flat when I got the bike, but I filled it up and it still has just as much pressure as when I filled it last week. The tires dont look rotted, the chain feels like it should, just needs a little oil. And the sprockets are pretty worn. I have heard of soaking the chain in used motor oil. Is that an acceptable alternative to buying chain lube? Figure ill save myself a few bucks if I can without risking damage to the bike. And a pic in the mag? How about that. Lol

1972.F7
Enduro Newb

Date Joined Dec 2011

Posted 12/7/2011 7:08 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Funny thing. The guy I got it from thought it was a 4 stroke cuz he never had to mix the gas or add oil to the oil injection tank. Still had about half a quart of oil in it, so he only put a couple tanks of gas thru it in the 5 years he owned it. Just used it to check his cattle a couple times a month.

Richard47
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004

Posted 12/7/2011 9:37 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You can use the worn chain/sprockets just to try it out if you are gentle but you should replace them ASAP. A worn chain that jumps off the front sprocket (which itself is probably in a horrible state) may break the engine castings and will pitch you off the bike. I would take a peek at the front sprocket to see how bad it is.

Motor oil is OK on a chain but it flings off easily and makes a mess. Best to use the proper stuff when you replace the chain. Always replace chains and sprockets at the same time.

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

Post Edited (Richard47) : 12/7/2011 4:40:59 PM GMT

1972.F7
Enduro Newb

Date Joined Dec 2011

Posted 12/7/2011 12:14 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Great tip. Thank you. Mud tastes better when its flung off the tires than when your face is flung into it.

If you cant buy it, build it.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 12/7/2011 1:05 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

First of all though I do not know anything about the bike other then it had the typical Automatioc lube system it was good.  ASLO you have obtain a sensible sized bike to learn on.

The chain might last, but I would replace the front & rear sprockts to also a new chain for that will give it so much more life.

Also Richard is THEY man to come up with the best suggestions I can assure you.

You might deal your questions over to MOTORCYCLE GARAGE on this m/c board for Richard will be there, but thn so will some others that love to tinker around on their bikes.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

1972.F7
Enduro Newb

Date Joined Dec 2011

Posted 12/7/2011 1:36 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Garage, huh? When im off work, ill see you there.

If you cant buy it, build it.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 12/14/2011 8:38 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The "Motor Cycle Garage" is NOT a different m/c board, but like many other sections on this very m/c board so simply tune it in.

Also when I menioned probably a front & rear sprocket plus a new chain is when you look close you will find the sprockets are with strange teeth & each time you adjust the chain is almost the same demand next time you go to ride.  Proof that all three are needed & simply putting on a new chain will be woren out due to the almost woren out sprockets.

You will find in some m/c shops the ideal material for you to lube the chain.  I do this basically each time I come home from a 5 to 7 hr run when it is still WARM for the chain lube will soak in during the evening rest. 

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 12/14/2011 3:42:34 PM GMT