Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Newbies! > Greetings from Northern Ireland - a road racers heaven  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Ulster Chris
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2011
Total Posts : 16

Posted 12/11/2011 3:41 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi folks.
I send you greetings from Carrickfergus in Northern Ireland.
I live with half an hour from some of the greatest road racing circuits there are - NW200, Ulster Grand Prix etc and 20 minutes by plane from the IOM TT.
I am not in a mid life crisis by the way smilewinkgrin

I am however pretty new to 2 wheels and in my forties.

I have just started a new blog detailing my trips to road races in 2011, my adventures with my teenage son and the fun of getting tests passed and bikes bought and prepared.

Feel free to have a wee look, you will be made more than welcome,

Thanks a million   www.nomidlifecris.wordpress.com

Smitty
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 12/11/2011 6:26 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Though I never saw my grandfather, but my father, Cdn born, went to register me ONLY to find out I had to be registered as IRISH due to my grandfather came from Northern Ireland.  Think he was from Londeer due to a rare carpertener too, is still in my hands & so from Londeer.

Good chance his real last name was McCadden or something like that, but as soon as registered in Canada he changed his last name to Smith as it is such a commong name in North America.  Probably because those over in Ireland or England could not catch up to whatever he might owe.  Yes he wandered all across Canada, by foot working on homes, to the litle city of Saskatoon Saskatchewan.

So yes we will even allow one from Norther Ireland on this board, or so I feel.

Good chance a lot of Americans can trace their history back to Ireland like my grandfther might have done as well.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 12/13/2011 8:36 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Welcome to the board, Ulster! I am back onto two wheels myself after a "considerable" time away (20+ years) so I consider myself pretty new as well. As far as mid-life crisis goes, I maintain I am not in one, but my lovely Wife begs to differ! lol  So it goes, but crisis or no, I am on two, and will be for as long as I am able. I'm just 50, so I reckon I have a long way to go yet!

I will certainly check out your blog; I love a good story. Cheers!

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

Ulster Chris
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2011

Posted 12/14/2011 4:50 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the comments guys. Typical Irish weather today. Wind. Rain. Snow. Not even a chance to get outside and fit new chain and sprockets :(. I do my first interview with a road racer on Saturday. Looking forward to it immensely. have a look at the blog for details. Cheers.

Keeping between the hedges - www.nomidlifecrisis.wordpress.com

dannycheng65
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2011
Total Posts : 1

Posted 12/22/2011 4:17 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello there Ulster Chris

Ask for 20 year term life insurance
and Georgia life insurance today

Post Edited (dannycheng65) : 12/29/2011 11:45:31 PM GMT

Ulster Chris
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2011

Posted 12/23/2011 2:45 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hiya Danny - Have a great Chrimbo mate

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 12/23/2011 8:05 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Aye, good to have ye on mate.

There, that's about as much an Irish dialect I can type. Though, I do know the song Danny Boy (and what it means) and have sung it, along with many other Irish songs I have sung with the men's chorus I've been in for over two decades.

Wow, the Isle of Mann, on my list of places to visit before I ride off this marble. When you have the likes of Joey Dunlop and others like him, coming form Ireland, it must have something to do with the races, roads, people and enthusiasm for road racing. Perhaps some day I'll visit the Green Isle to tour it on a bike. Then enjoy a stout in a real pub to sing with the locals. Perhaps take a tour of the distilleries, so much to see!

Took a look at the blog, good start. I did some wandering about in it, went to the Loughshinny link and found the Killilane Road Race lap link. No wonder you have a bunch of good road racers in Ireland! Wow again!

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

Post Edited (Andy VH) : 12/23/2011 3:17:12 PM GMT

Ulster Chris
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2011

Posted 12/23/2011 11:33 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What about ye Andy?
Smashing comments bud. Yep we are blessed here with a multitude of road racing talent. Remember if you are over to give me a shout - would be a pleasure to show you round my way - and share a Guinness.
Hoping to get some more done on the blog over the few days off I have.
Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 12/23/2011 12:31 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Honestly in most of Canada to some of the USA it is the same to where there is to much snow & cold weather to even put on new sprockets & chain.  Several months ago I sensibly Winterized my two sportbikes as I have since back in 1946 in different parts of Western Canada.

Agree fully on the crazy road racers as seen in the NW200 that has been yearly even before the Isle of Man TT. 

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 12/23/2011 1:53 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
One thing I bet still strong over there is the cafe racer style. I have always enjoyed the great mechanical look of the cafe bikes, their light but stout and aggressive appearance. Alloy tanks, alloy rims, bum-stop seats, clip ons, simple engines you can actually work on and modify.

And then there's the ladies wot hang about the cafe racers...................going back to great rockabilly days of blokes, bikes and babes.

Gee,....you'd almost never guess I was Dutch born and raised American. Perhaps I'ave a soul of the isle in me?

Ha, even got a few Whitworth spanners in the tool box. My dad was a motorcycle mechanic back in Holland, and I recall he talked fondly about wrenching on Triumph, Matchless and Velocette bikes. Before my folks settled on moving to the US, my dad had turned down a job offer in New Zealand as a Triumph dealership manager. I coulda been a Kiwi!

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

Post Edited (Andy VH) : 12/23/2011 8:56:27 PM GMT