Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Newbies! > First Bike Advise  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

JohnM
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2011
Total Posts : 1

Posted 12/11/2011 10:38 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
So purchasing a new, not to mention first bike, is obviously going to be an exciting time for all beginner riders. But im at an impasse. As does everyone, I want to purchase a Bike the suits my needs, one of which will involve riding from NY to FL and back. This is my delema. I want a long haul rode bike that fits me, but dont want to pay the 10k-15k price tag that they usually come with, so I was looking into the Yamaha VStar 250 due to its price tag, reputation, being a small bike as I am a smallish person, and relatively low price. But a few things have me concerned. One, the 250 CC Air cooled engine, while it may not be powerful, it does run, but i am concerned about highwaying it. I do not know if it can withstand the 75MPH average of the highways well, without some problems surfacing. One of which may be due to its air cooled engine. I do not know if it is wise to take an engine like that and push it that hard for a long while. I was recommended a 500CC liquid cooled for cross country endeavors (which maekes obvious sense), but have yet to find one the fits the bill. Other than acceleration, power and cruising easibility, the other differences between the 250/500cc's is not obvious to me. Anyone advice or input on whether or not the VStar 250 will make it there and back without any damage to the bike, how easy of a ride it will be,whether or not the bike can handle the trip, if I should be looking for something else or any recommendations on what I should be looking for would be awesome.

jon
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 12/11/2011 11:41 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
JohnM said...
Anyone advice or input on whether or not the VStar 250 will make it there and back without any damage to the bike, how easy of a ride it will be,whether or not the bike can handle the trip, if I should be looking for something else or any recommendations on what I should be looking for would be awesome.

there are some that can commute on vstar 250 on the highways but it won't work for most from what i've seen. will it work for you? not sure since not humans are built the same. with a "claim" top speed of "85mph", i would look for something that can do a bit more than that for my personal comfort zone. i'm not too concerned about "damage" as vstar has a good rep of durability.

i'm a fan of buying used and cheap but reliable as a first bike so i would look into a late model vulcan 500 (cruiser styling like the vstar) or a ninja 500 (sportbike with standard ergos). for the same money for a new v-star250, a late model mechanically sound vulcan or ninja 500 can be had and would be better suited for that kind of a trip to me. in addition, those models are still fairly light especially the ninja.

good luck with the research and hope you can find a bike that meets your needs.

Richard47
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 5552

Posted 12/12/2011 2:20 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you ride a bike like the 250 at 75mph it will be with the throttle pinned to the stop all the time. Up a gradient or into a strong wind you won't even get 75mph. This won't be good for the bike. If you intend to use a bike for this purpose I suggest you look for something with at least 45bhp. It's the power that counts, not the size of bike.

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 12/12/2011 7:30 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
JohnM said...
So purchasing a new, not to mention first bike, is obviously going to be an exciting time for all beginner riders. But im at an impasse. As does everyone, I want to purchase a Bike the suits my needs, one of which will involve riding from NY to FL and back.
You are getting WAY ahead of yourself.......and are about to make a couple of critical mistakes.

First, you should be looking for a USED bike in the 250-500 CC range as a "training" bike.
Finishing the MSF course is only the beginning or your learining process.

Second, even seasoned riders don't just jump into riding a 1000 mile trip.
It's tough enough to do in a car, much less on a bike.
Travel time is a minimum of 14 hours.

You need to work your way up to a long trip like that.......and should not even consider it until you have a years riding time under your belt.
A 250 would do it, but not at 75 MPH average.......or maybe not 75 at all.

You will have a better understanding of all this when you actually get a bike and put in a couple of hours of riding without a stop.

And finally, there are numerous threads already on here about new riders and first bikes.
ALL of that advice applies to YOU too.
Please have a look at some of them.
It gets old repeating the same advice over and over.

It's interesting how two people come up with almost the exact situation and questions within days of each other just out of the blue.
See the thread in this sub-forum titled "touring".
It appears to be almost identical.

'06 Suzuki S50 (VS800)
'07 Honda Shadow VLX 600

Post Edited (Easy Rider 2) : 12/12/2011 2:34:53 PM GMT

lionlady
-----Mistress of Novices. -Total miles: 85,000+

Date Joined Sep 2003
Total Posts : 2759

Posted 12/13/2011 8:26 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You're putting the cart before the horse.

First, Are you trying to save money on the drive? If so, a motorcycle will NOT save money. Not for that trip regardless. Second: Do you have your M license? have you taken/completed a basic riders courser? Third: Motorcycling is "active" like horseback riding, NOT like driving a car. Most folks can only do 1/2 to 2/3 the time they could in a car when riding a motorcycle. Forth: motorcycle tires need to be replaced about 4 x as often as car tires and they're way more expensive. Then there's your personal protective gear which - especially if you plan on doing that many miles - will run $500 to $1000 dollars.

Take the BRC, buy a used bike and ride it. Then consider upgrading to a touring bike, yes they ARE expensive, but they're made for longer hauls. A Cheap bike will need "comfort" upgrades to make it long haul ready. Things like a custom seat, bar backs, luggage, peg extenders/foot rests. See?

ATGATT: Because walking away in disgust, beats riding away in an ambulance.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 12/14/2011 8:26 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There are some very sensible posts up there & all are trying to help you.  I will agree with most for clocking the normal hwy traffic speed, wind or not, & yes winds are a problem especially to a newbie at the first.

Unfortunately the 250cc though a lovely bike to learn on is not the bike for going at your desired paces time & time again.

I ride in the southern part of the Cdn Rockies so YES for some years I was at home on a screaming Yamaha 250cc that was a screamer, but then I had a lot of milage under my belt including racing.  Still when the time came I bought a 'used' Suzuki GSXR 750cc, so a lot more punch to only one familair with sportbikes.

I think you are the 2nd chap in the past week that is aiming at such long distant runs.  His was daily to University to back home & then to university the next day.

We have a lot of lst or 2nd year university people travelling close to that milage, but they might make it home on a holiday by a bus trip & sometimes the parents visit them.  None plane on the traffic to the milage in such a short time FOR one needs a lot of EXPERIENCE to ride that far in such a short time.

If I am covering around the same milage in a day. I carry a massive MSR fanny bag loaded with things I will need & half way back I will have picked out a place to pull off the hwy to lean the bike up against a tree, have some water & something to eat that usually means a bit of a sleep & rest.  For once I am rolling again then I am wide awake & at home in riding.  Possibly this is why I have a car in fact an all wheel drive one of where I can carry extra clothing or if it is hot them peal it off & toss it in the back, but if cooler then I pull off to the side & put on the warmer gear even though a cage (car to you) they have these strange things called washing he windshields to wipers to even heating system to some with air conditioning.  Yes they do have their advantages even if they use up more petrol then a small m/c will.

Lastly before you purchase a m/c then PLEASE take the MSF Course!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.