Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Newbies! > I want to know what you guys think about this bike for me  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

MuchoMachoMan
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2011
Total Posts : 1

Posted 12/25/2011 4:02 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am obviously new to this motorcycle riding business and I want to buy a motorbike for the first time. Keep in mind, I am 17 years old, 5 feet 8 inches, and weigh like 140. Now, I want to get a Kawasaki Ninja 250r. But what I wanted to know was how will this bike fit a rider of my size? Will it be too big or just right? And also, is this a good bike for a beginner like me. I do not yet know how to ride a motorcycle like this, but I am going to take classes. So what is your guys opinions on this? Thank you all in advance

jon
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 12/25/2011 7:13 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
MuchoMachoMan said...
Now, I want to get a Kawasaki Ninja 250r. But what I wanted to know was how will this bike fit a rider of my size? Will it be too big or just right? And also, is this a good bike for a beginner like me. So what is your guys opinions on this?

all of the questions above can only be answered by you. you should complete the class first then shop because the knowledge gain from the class can help you with the "which bike" decision. good luck!

lionlady
-----Mistress of Novices. -Total miles: 85,000+

Date Joined Sep 2003
Total Posts : 2759

Posted 12/25/2011 8:01 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'd say it is probably going to be a decent fit. BUT, how do you plan to learn to ride it? Take a basic rider's course. Some folks discover that riding isn't what they thought it would be. THEN go bike shopping.

P

ATGATT: Because walking away in disgust, beats riding away in an ambulance.

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 1408

Posted 12/25/2011 8:40 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Agreed with lionlady. Take MSF BRC, get licensed, then choose. As for ergos, you'll have to sit on it. 5'8 should be fine, but your inseam plays a big part, also. I'm 5'11.something (over 6' with the riding boots) but my inseam is only around 31", so I've got lots of torso to work with. You just have to see how your own dimensions play out for you. Generally the 250R is a really good beginner bike (one of the best, arguably).

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 12/26/2011 4:44 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
MuchoMachoMan said...
I am obviously new to this motorcycle riding business
This has been discussed in some detail here SEVERAL times.
Your situation is NOT unique.
See those other threads as the advice there applies to YOU too.

Most new riders find the little Ninja to be a good choice; even some who are a good bit bigger than you.

'06 Suzuki S50 (VS800)
'07 Honda Shadow VLX 600

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 12/26/2011 6:55 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The answers are in your favour for your age, size, weight mean nothing.  This is an ideal bike to learn on.

Though allow me to suggest you take the MSF Course & some of the instructors are regulars on this board.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 12/27/2011 10:14 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I am still sticking with the MSF Course FIRST, then the 250cc next, BUT one has to remember both Honda & Suzuki have come out with some interesting 250cc bikes for beginners besides the Kawasaki that was lst mentioned.

Not cruisers, not good sized 750cc, or even in the 650cc line of Kawasaki (I find Kwacker easier to say for it is a slang word, though not insulting for some of us).  So really when one thinks of it THREE 250cc bikes & then I would say some good 650cc bikes out there by Suzy & Kwacker as say the next step up.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.