Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Newbies! > 05 Kaw 500 leaking gas/oil from ex-pipe  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

jesusfreak77
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2012
Total Posts : 2

Posted 1/10/2012 5:43 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Okay, my 05 Vulcan sat in a heated garage for 3.5 years. NO STORAGE HELP. I drained the tank, changed the spark plugs, cleaned the carborator and jets. It fires but leaks gas/oil from exhaust pipe. It cuts off as soon as the choke is pushed in. What do I do?

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 1/10/2012 6:06 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jesusfreak77 said...
Okay, my 05 Vulcan sat in a heated garage for 3.5 years. NO STORAGE HELP. I drained the tank, changed the spark plugs, cleaned the carborator and jets. It fires but leaks gas/oil from exhaust pipe. It cuts off as soon as the choke is pushed in. What do I do?
First you stop running it.

Second, you have a float problem.....probably....or a needle valve stuck.
Raw gas is going into the cylinders (one or more) and washing the oil off the rings and out the exhaust.

Just exactly what did you do to "clean the carb and jets" ??
There probably was something in that process that caused the problem.

If it's mostly oil coming out, it could be stuck rings.

It may be time to get professional help.

'06 Suzuki S50 (VS800)
'07 Honda Shadow VLX 600

jesusfreak77
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2012
Total Posts : 2

Posted 1/10/2012 6:22 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes I would agree that professional help is needed. Okay, to clean the carb I simply removed the floater housing and unscrewed the jets. Sprayed carb cleaner everywhere I could see and reinstalled. I do believe it was leaking prior to cleaning the carb though but in my ignorance I just thought it was moisture from sitting for so long.

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 1/11/2012 5:56 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If it is definitely raw gas coming out the pipes definitely do NOT run the bike anymore until the carbs are confirmed clean and in proper running condition. Aside from coming out the pipes, raw gas is also getting past the rings (when the pistons are mid-stroke to bottom of the stroke) and into the oil. That leads to excessive wear quickly.

Once the carbs are confirmed good, then drain the oil again. It does not matter how recently the oil was changed because it is likely now contaminated with gasoline.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

jclax01
The world is ruled by Damned Dirty Apes

Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 5244

Posted 1/13/2012 4:21 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
vulcans had issues with the valve getting stuck. This was a problem with older vulcans and may not be an issue with your machine. Basically the valve gets stuck and the engine will run NOTICABLY hotter and richer. you will see oil coming out of the tail pipe and the spark plugs hole. it will also run really bad (spark plugs get covered with oil). Obviously look at the carbs first since that is very easy to get taken care of. If after the plugs are cleaned, if the bike still has oil coming out of the tail pipe, then you have something clogging up or sticking your valve.

Ride Hard or Stay home

1994 Kaw Vulcan 88
2007 Piago (my wifes punk ass 50cc scooter) 
1986 kaw Vulcan 750(rebooted and reloaded)

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 1/15/2012 2:48 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Such a question should be to Motorcycle Garage rather then the chat line.  After all they will be willing to help you, but I feel most of those have given you the best of ease.

Not to be sour or such, but I was tempted to say "Next time store the bike in a cold building for that is what I have been doing since 1946".  Just sort of kidding you on this one, but it is a face cold storarge for all my bikes.

I just do not want them to be messed up with snow, rain or open to anyone to monkey around with which I am in my home or shop I work at. 

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 1/16/2012 5:48:54 PM GMT