Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Newbies! > Worth it to buy this helmet?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

mopanda
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2012
Total Posts : 2

Posted 1/14/2012 2:03 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi,

I'm new at riding and just finished the MSF course where I first rode a bike. I was now thinking about getting a 500cc bike but before that I would like to work on some gear.

I saw this helmet on Amazon and check out their website and did a google search but there wasn't much information on them. I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of them and is it worth it to buy them.
The helmet I saw was this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HJJOZC/ref=s9_simh_gw_p263_d0_g263_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0RD3KN1JD7ZS1KYSRBTJ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846
The company is called IV2 and seems to be relatively new but the helmets look kind of solid and are dot approved.
So what do you guys thing?

Thanks

Richard47
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 5552

Posted 1/14/2012 3:55 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I don't know about that helmet but the golden rule when buying a helmet is to try it on. A cheap helmet is not neccessarily a better helmet than an expensive one, with regard to protection, but it must fit properly. 

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 1/14/2012 8:25 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Eriik said...
The company is called IV2 and seems to be relatively new but the helmets look kind of solid and are dot approved.
So what do you guys thing?
I have always thought helmets were overpriced but don't know if I could trust a ~ $35 FF helmet or not.....and with an extra shield, no less.

If it's DOT approved, it should be OK for protection but comfort, venting, etc. may suffer, and fit is VERY important.

User feedback seems good so it might be a reasonable gamble.

I like HJCs; available at a lot of dealers and priced around $100.

'06 Suzuki S50 (VS800)
'07 Honda Shadow VLX 600

MichaelD
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2006
Total Posts : 658

Posted 1/14/2012 9:50 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I would recommend a HJC,Bell< ect.. Im not into off name brands with no history. I got my son a nice HJC on sale for 70.00 at the local bike shop on close out. Expect to pay close to 100.00 bucks for a good helmet. Like ER and Richard said protection might be ok but you wont wear a helmet that is uncomfortable. Waist of money in my opinion.

In God We Trust, All Others Must Submit Objective Evidence

South Central Kansas

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 1/14/2012 11:32 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Never buy a helmet online unless you know for certain the brand is good, the quality is good, the fit is right, and that the helmet general shape/form is correct for your head shape. Not all heads are the same general shape. That's why most good quality helmet makers have both ROUND and OVAL head forms for their helmets. The wrong helmet shape on your head will cause uncomfortable pain in short time.

Brand names alone don't guarantee the right fit either. I can only wear certain models of Bell or Arai helmets, because some of them cause pressure points on my temples that lead to head aches quickly. But Shoei and HJC helmets almost always fit me well. But I only found this out by trying them on first before ever buying one.

Helmet fit can be like wearing the wrong style and size of underwear. If its wrong, you'll never feel comfortable. If its right, you'll barely notice wearing it.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

mopanda
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2012
Total Posts : 2

Posted 1/14/2012 10:18 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Oh I see. Thanks for all the help. But do you guys have any recommendations of places online to find cheap helmets with good prices? I don't care if it's not the latest model but a decent one. I've seen some HJC ones for decent prices but don't know where a good place is yet.

Thanks for all the help.

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 1/14/2012 11:47 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
mopanda said...
Oh I see. Thanks for all the help. But do you guys have any recommendations of places online to find cheap helmets with good prices? I don't care if it's not the latest model but a decent one. I've seen some HJC ones for decent prices but don't know where a good place is yet.

Thanks for all the help.

you have the internet in front of you, use it!

if there's a cyclegear store near you, visit them...the links below show samples of what they have in terms of low cost helmets:

www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/cs_r1_solid_full_face_motorcycle_helmet/web1003106

www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/spirit_full_face_motorcycle_helmet/web1001086

www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/women_s_alliance_ssr_speedfreak_full_face_motorcycle_helmet/web1003458

Post Edited (jon) : 1/15/2012 7:01:08 AM GMT

GeoffG
Instant Classic

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 10791

Posted 1/14/2012 11:53 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Easy Rider 2 said...

I have always thought helmets were overpriced but don't know if I could trust a ~ $35 FF helmet or not.....and with an extra shield, no less.

I'm with ER2 on this one...just dunno if I could bring myself to trust a helmet from a completely unknown Chinese company, at any price. It says it's DOT compliant, but...hmmm...

HJC are well known (and I believe the largest helmet maker in the world). There are others as well.

Especially if you're not familiar with helmets and how they fit (and which ones might fit you), you might be best off buying one at a "brick and mortar" shop, where you can try it on and get some help from a (hopefully) knowledgable salesperson. Do some reading first, though, so you at least have a chance of knowing if the sales staff are actually trying to help you choose what'll work for you, or are simply trying to make a quick sale.

Post Edited (GeoffG) : 1/15/2012 5:13:02 PM GMT

Meanie_Intruder
Posted a Pic of a Man Thong

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 2099

Posted 1/15/2012 6:51 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Go to a local dealer, try on their helmets, determine what you like, then search online to compare pricing. It's that simple.

An intelligent person does not need the promise of a heaven to see the merit in good deeds

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 1/15/2012 8:26 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Meanie_Intruder said...
Go to a local dealer, try on their helmets, determine what you like, then search online to compare pricing. It's that simple.
And the next time you need something from that dealer, they might not be there anymore.

Penny wise and pound foolish........and all that.

'06 Suzuki S50 (VS800)
'07 Honda Shadow VLX 600

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 1/15/2012 2:43 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Seems you are very keen on a helmet if it is CHEAP.  Most of us buy good makes of helmet & yes we pay high for them, AFTER ALL a good helmet is PROTECTING our head in case of an accident.

Also 99% of us wear top line helmets for our OWN SAFETY & would NOT recommend a CHEAP helmet to you or anyone & it is the same on so many other m/cs themselves, to other riding gear, tyres & so much more in this m/c world.

I started wearing a crashe helmet in 1947 for the AMA & CMA demaded we must have on a proper helmet, think around '64 it became compulsory in all Provinces of Canada & most of the States in the USA.

I know my Shoie helmets for I have been wearing thing since 1958.  So YES I know a LARGE is my size & I could order it in from a m/c shop on-line, but I buy from the local dealer.  Do the same in my jackets, to trousers & so much more------I am not rich, but once Income Tax is done I am at the POVERTY LEVEL of income.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 1/22/2012 5:44:40 PM GMT

lionlady
-----Mistress of Novices. -Total miles: 85,000+

Date Joined Sep 2003
Total Posts : 2759

Posted 1/15/2012 6:52 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That DOT sticker doesn't mean that the Department of Transportation even knows that that helmet has been manufactured.

DOT provides a list of standards that a helmet is expected to meet in order to get that sticker. Each manufacturer makes its own determination as to whether it meets the standard or not. In a nutshell, I could decide to "produce" helmets for motorcycle use and put a DOT sticker on them. If you were to buy one of my helmets and die in a crash because the helmet didn't actually meet the standard, you're dead and my helmet business is suddenly no where to be found. Buy from a known manufacturer because they have a reputation to maintain.

The DOT has funds to test only 40 models of helmet per year. Buy a helmet brand that you recognize, not "Joe's Helmet." And more importantly, TRY IT ON first.

P

ATGATT: Because walking away in disgust, beats riding away in an ambulance.

Meanie_Intruder
Posted a Pic of a Man Thong

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 2099

Posted 1/16/2012 2:06 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Easy Rider 2 said...
And the next time you need something from that dealer, they might not be there anymore.

Penny wise and pound foolish........and all that.

If the dealer didn't charge such an astronomical amount of money, they would have my business. I never buy from them...period.

An intelligent person does not need the promise of a heaven to see the merit in good deeds.

Richard47
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 5552

Posted 1/17/2012 2:25 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I recently bought a new helmet from a dealer. I spent a considerable time trying on this helmet and that. I was looking for a helmet with an internal, drop-down sun visor as I am having difficulty with low sun conditions, due to deteriorating eyesight. The helmet I liked best before I tried them on was a Scorpion, I've intended to get one for some time. However, I found that the sun visor on the Scorpion is either up or down and I wanted one that I could use in a way that I could use like the visor in my car, that is I can look under it not through it. If I had bought on-line I would have a helmet that didn't suit my needs (and might not have fitted as well as the one I have now). The helmet I bought was cheaper than the Scorpion too, so I saved money by buying from a dealer and I got the helmet I needed.

Toilet Brush Dog Owner