Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Newbies! > About their helmet  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

calhome
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2012
Total Posts : 1

Posted 1/19/2012 1:31 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Is anyone know about the quality about their helmets? The price is great, but wondering about the quality of it, any hints or advises will be much appreciate!!!

http://www.t-motorsports.com/helmets/

Mike

Post Edited By Moderator (Rich_S) : 1/20/2012 5:20:09 PM GMT

Gone in 60
Lone Commuter of the Apocalypse

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 657

Posted 1/19/2012 3:13 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Boy, at those prices, I would really be worried about the quality. My head is worth way more than thirty bucks!

Work to ride, Ride to work
Honda VTX 1300R & 750 Nighthawk

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 1/19/2012 4:17 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Google "are TMS helmets any good" and you'll get lots of opinions.

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 1/19/2012 6:32 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Cheap products are cheap for a reason, they're usually poorly built, poorly supported (dealer or vendor), no replacement parts, no market value. This is especially true of a helmet. If its cheap, the main reason is its likely a piece of poorly built crap, or has other issues with it not common to better know brands. Like this review on a TMS helmet bought on ebay:

"This guide is intended to caution you if you are considering a purchase of a TMS Brand Motorcycle helmet.
I have recently purchased two TMS helmets, size large and extra large, in flat black finish, and carbon fiber look finish. Both are of the modular design, flip up chin style.
The quality is not the best. They have a cheap feel to them. The construction is cheaply prepared. The padding is of poor quality and thin.
They were purchased from T-Motorsports of California, off of eBay.
The major complaint you should be concerned about is the obnoxious odor given off from the helmet. Almost like a rubber, new tire smell. They are sitting in my office, in the closed box and they still have the room smelling like rubber. I cannot keep either one of them on my head except for a few minutes.
I am afraid of the odor and how it may affect me if I have my face enclosed in it while riding on a hot day for any period of time. I have tried to air the helmet out. That has not worked.
I have written the seller to advise him of the odor. He did not mention whether he is aware of this or not. He just says he is sorry. T-Motorsports only sells the TMS brand of helmet. I wonder if he knew about this odor with the helmets and would not post a precautionary statement to the bidders on his site auctions.
BEWARE if you are sensitive to odors."

Something as critical as protecting your head, and especially your brain, is not worth a cheap helmet. That is unless you feel your brain isn't worth the bucks. Guess its better than not wearing a helmet at all. But based on what I read above, it sounds like you wouldn't want to wear it anyway. So in that, what value is there?

Oh, and a side note. On this website, when a brand new member makes his very first post a link to another website, the "spammer" flags instantly go up!!

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

Richard47
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 5552

Posted 1/20/2012 4:53 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you take out the profit for the maker, the dealer, the shipping cost and any other incidentals it doesn't leave much money for actually making the helmet, does it? Avoid.

Toilet Brush Dog Owner