Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Motorcycle Safety > Helmet styles  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Scrubby7
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2009
Total Posts : 19

Posted 12/20/2009 8:12 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OK, seems to be a big question around here so I thought I'd get your thoughts.

Do helmet styles (full face, 3/4, half helmets) go hand in hand with bike styles (crotch rockets, goldwings, Harley's) ?

Here seems to be the direction:
1. Full face; Crotch rockets, Goldwings, motor cross.
2. 3/4; Goldwings, touring.
3. Half helmets; Harley Davidson, sportsers.

What are your thoughts?

I personally haven't ever really worn a helmet but I am going to buy one soon. I own a soft tail and a marauder and I think I will be in the half helmet, just because I don't know if any thing else looks right with these bikes.

KG

jon
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 12/20/2009 11:38 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
f/f helmet regardless of which bike type. i don't treat safety any differently regardless of bike type.

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 12/21/2009 3:13 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Helmets can only be judged by the amount of protection and comfort they give you, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the bike brand, bike style, style of rider, or location of riding (other than perhaps dirt riding/motocross).

If you are first concerned with how the helmet "looks" with the bike style, you are missing the entire point of wearing a helmet. When it comes to protecting your head, your face and especially your brain, the only logical helmet choice, regardless of bike style is a full face helmet, period. The helmet is only there to protect your brain, then your head, then your face. Its nothing about style or how it looks with the bike. Anything less than a full face helmet is a concession to protecting your brain and head. It really comes down to what you value, if its looks you value first, then chose a helmet that you think looks right. If its your brain and head you value most, the other factors are of little importance.

Personally I think anyone riding a sportbiek without a helmet and jacket looks like a total doofus. But then I feel the same for anyone riding a Harley wearing a polo shirt, no helmet and freakin' Crocs! Same for a BMW or Wing rider in a t-shirt, shorts and sandals.

Pardon my asking, but you own two bikes, a metric cruiser and a Harley, and you are now considering buying your first helmet? How long have you been riding?

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

motorcycleinfo
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2

Posted 12/22/2009 6:35 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It seems pretty lame to me that so many riders choose their helmet based only on what they see others wearing that ride the same type of motorcycle. What happened to choosing a helmet for protection?

JD
www.motorcycleinfo.org
'07 Moto Guzzi California Vintage

jsanford
'07 BMW F800ST, '08 M695, '04 Moto Guzzi Breva...

Date Joined Feb 2005
Total Posts : 2385

Posted 2/5/2010 6:14 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Eh?  Around here you'll see Harley, dual-sporties, BMWs and sport bike riders in full face helmets and an Aerostich, just because it's Seattle.

Newbodometer: 35000+ miles

GeoffG
Instant Classic

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 10791

Posted 2/6/2010 12:05 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Scrubby7 said...
...I think I will be in the half helmet, just because I don't know if any thing else looks right with these bikes.

Hey, if you don't think you need a helmet, you probably don't. ;-)

if you're worried more about looks than safety, then that's your call. Here's a graphic representation of where helmet impacts occur during crashes, according to one study. You do the math.

Treefort
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2006
Total Posts : 2468

Posted 2/7/2010 5:31 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Statistics don't lie, they average. lol

War may sometimes be a necessary evil. But no matter how necessary, it is always an evil, never a good. We will not learn how to live together in peace by killing each other's children.

Jimmy Carter

Alex Chen
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2010
Total Posts : 9

Posted 4/17/2010 10:49 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think full face helmet would be good.

There are so many riders choose their helmet based on what they see others wearing that ride the same type of motorcycle.

But i think safety is first.Helmet was used to protect us.

Alex Chen

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 4/18/2010 6:07 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Last thing I would want is a helmet for style when a good helmet that fits properly pays off when you might go down.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

iman501
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2008
Total Posts : 1022

Posted 4/21/2010 12:41 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Im a FF wearer, i dont care what i ride, its going to be FF. not to mention it keeps all the bugs off my face :)

bikes dont leak oil, they mark their territory

TravelerKLK
2009 Rocket 3 Touring

Date Joined Aug 2005
Total Posts : 666

Posted 4/21/2010 3:17 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have two helmets, a FF HJC Carbon and a 3/4 Carbon. I wear the 3/4 sometimes in the summertime where the temps here is South Florida can be 90+ for weeks on end. Otherwise, it's the FF.

I ride a Triumph Rocket 3 Touring.

--Trav

"Man's mind, stretched by a new idea, never goes back to its original dimensions."

O.W.H., JR.

bearshark52
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2010
Total Posts : 45

Posted 4/21/2010 5:59 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
i dont know about you, but FF helmets look so hot! get one of those =]

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 6/7/2011 3:40 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
GeoffG said...
Scrubby7 said...
...I think I will be in the half helmet, just because I don't know if any thing else looks right with these bikes.

Hey, if you don't think you need a helmet, you probably don't. ;-)

if you're worried more about looks than safety, then that's your call. Here's a graphic representation of where helmet impacts occur during crashes, according to one study. You do the math.

THIS is SO important?

Why wear any other helmet than a full face - that fits? yeah

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!

g85Riding
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2011
Total Posts : 7

Posted 9/16/2011 2:13 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm probably getting a cruiser of some kind but it will be Full Face for me for sure. and probably some god awful green that glows in the dark or close to it!

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 9/16/2011 2:57 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Glows in the dark, not a bad idea. They actually have some with solar powered lights, and even a solar powered fan in there.

Point is go for comfort, not gimmicks.

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!

Mark Jason
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2011
Total Posts : 1

Posted 10/5/2011 1:28 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
These motorcycle helmets are considered the safest type of helmet to wear in terms of sheer protection, as they cover the widest area of the head and face. A disadvantage is that they are the heaviest of all motorcycle helmets, and as such can create the greatest neck fatigue from wind resistance. They are also the most restrictive helmets in terms of limiting sensory input.

Post Edited By Moderator (Rich_S) : 10/5/2011 9:36:33 PM GMT

Deacon Blues
The Imaginary Director

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 2946

Posted 10/5/2011 1:49 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Actually, Mark, the higher-end full face helmets are really rather light for what they protect. I was handed a new Shoei full-face to try on in a moto shop, and was amazed at how much it DIDN'T weigh. The weight is a small price to pay - without it (aside from having an unprotected head in a crash) I'd have to contend with bugs, dust, small debris kicked up by car and truck tires, wind in my eyes... it's nice NOT having to deal with those things with the helmet on and the visor down.

As for sensory input, most F/F helmets give you as wide a field of vision as an unprotected head. You might sacrifice a little in the vertical direction, but most of the time you don't notice that. Besides, part of riding is the adage "you ride where you look" and so turning your head to look thru curves results in smoother riding through curves. :)

I prefer having my hearing muffled - I get less wind noise (which over time can lead to hearing loss if you don't take steps) and I can still hear stuff around me that's important, like car horns, sirens, or even the sound of a flat / shredding truck tire.

"Lane splitting will never be accepted in those areas where driving is considered a martial art."

Current Ride: 1992 BMW K75RT "Sif"
Past Rides:
1985 Yamaha FZ750 "Diablesse"
1987 Yamaha FZ700 "Pandora"
1979 Yamaha XS750 "Cerberus"

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 10/6/2011 4:32 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I agree that the latest Shoei helmet is amazing in lightness compared to some of 6 yrs or older.  I just wanted the MOST GAUDY they could offer, so came up with one in Red & Black.

Since then he has brought in some with more colours that the cage drivers will see.  So once in a while it does not hurt to mention reason for your request.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Phil B
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 126

Posted 10/7/2011 2:14 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There are two reasons why I dont go that route:

1. Can they not ever pair "gaudy" with something other than "looks like I'm a teen squid"?

2. the price markups for a bit of extra color, are ludicrous. They're as bad as the "$150 for a sticker" OEM bike decals. eeesh.

jhawk
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2007
Total Posts : 204

Posted 10/14/2011 2:03 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
"...A disadvantage is that they are the heaviest of all motorcycle helmets, and as such can create the greatest neck fatigue from wind resistance..."

Actually, full-face helmets are more aero-efficient and create less neck fatigue and wind resistance than 1/2 and 3/4 lids

“I generally avoid temptation... unless I can't resist it.”

Deacon Blues
The Imaginary Director

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 2946

Posted 10/14/2011 2:34 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
About the only 'gaudy' helmet design I'd willingly buy would be a replica X-Wing helmet.

Wonder if Arai or Shoei will ever sign a licensing deal with LucasArts?

"Lane splitting will never be accepted in those areas where driving is considered a martial art."

Current Ride: 1992 BMW K75RT "Sif"
Past Rides:
1985 Yamaha FZ750 "Diablesse"
1987 Yamaha FZ700 "Pandora"
1979 Yamaha XS750 "Cerberus"

GeoffG
Instant Classic

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 10791

Posted 10/14/2011 10:21 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mark Jason said...
These motorcycle helmets are considered the safest type of helmet to wear in terms of sheer protection, as they cover the widest area of the head and face. A disadvantage is that they are the heaviest of all motorcycle helmets, and as such can create the greatest neck fatigue from wind resistance. They are also the most restrictive helmets in terms of limiting sensory input.

If you're talking about full-face helmets, yes they are considered the safest, which is why most performance-oriented riders wear them.

They may or may not be the heaviest, this depends...I'm sure the lightest FF helmets are lighter than many 3/4 and probably even some half helmets. But as already said, they may well be more aerodynamic, and therefore cause less "neck fatigue," than open-face helmets.

They may also limit vision somewhat, but only if you're looking down...up, forward, or to either side, a FF helmet is no more restrictive of vision than any 3/4 helmet. Some of the better FF's are cut so far back that you can barely see the edges if you try. They do NOT limit your vision in terms of riding at all--and indeed, unless your open-face helmet has a full face shield, the FF is going to make your vision BETTER, as it'll protect your eyes from flying debris, insects, and wind far, far better than sunglasses can. And I can't see that they'd be any different in terms of hearing "restriction" than any other helmet, not that it matters as most riders wear hearing protection of some kind anyway.

So, best protection, no downsides beyond possibly slightly more weight...no-brainer to me.