Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Motorcycle Safety > Low temps,....low side, me  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
40 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Fish.
Doesn't Really Talk Much

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2011
Total Posts : 112

Posted 3/25/2011 4:12 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am so very glad I read this thread, thanks Andy and everyone who contributed. My commute to work is only 2.3 miles, but there are 16 curves and turns in which I have to lean the bike. I had not thought about the tires not being warmed up, at all. They never really will in that short of a ride.

I do live in Central Florida and it is March, so cold temperatures are not an issue (it'll be 84 tomorrow :D ). But I will be riding all year round and we do see temps in the low 40s, 30s, and even 20s in the winter. I will have to remember to take it easy when the temperatures drop.

"When the people lead, the leaders will follow." - Gandhi

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 3/26/2011 8:34 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Fish. said...
I do live in Central Florida
Anywhere near Ocala ??

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008
Total Posts : 1926

Posted 3/26/2011 9:17 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The two books that need to be set in stone. Andy and Smitty, Lou also.

Asphalt the greatest tattoo remover.

Fish.
Doesn't Really Talk Much

Date Joined Mar 2011

Posted 3/27/2011 12:20 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Easy Rider 2 said...
Anywhere near Ocala ??

Daytona.
I used to take 40 out to Ocala quite a bit when I was dating a chick out there.
That ride will put you to sleep in a car. I haven't taken it on the bike yet.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 3/28/2011 11:17 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Out of plain curosity have any of you taken note of the THICKNESS of the yellow lines on the roads or hwys?  No kidding for the simple thing is the dept of Highway NOT to remove the excessive thickness over prior years & SIMPLY apply MORE PAINT---after all the are hired hwy people that paint the roads with the ruddy stripes.

I can feel it when about to scoot pass some cages ahead of me, all with their trourist rubber necking of the mountains-----which means below the Max Speed Limit, to yes I can even hear & feel it if the cage wheel is going over the same & no kidding.  Doing it in the rain & it is even worse to also the double or triple painting of the WHITE parts as one should not when there is rain.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 11/2/2011 6:51:14 PM GMT

Fish.
Doesn't Really Talk Much

Date Joined Mar 2011

Posted 4/5/2011 2:45 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've never really noticed it, but I've only recently started riding.

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 10/30/2011 7:12 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Time for a revisit to this post. Just took the vfr out,and temps are low,38 degrees when I headed out. Got 3 miles from the house tipped her in,and for the first bit of input all was well,then instantly shudder from the front, a wallow,followed by a massive counter effort to get the bike back onto the warm part of tire and into the on coming lane,fortunately no on coming traffic,and saved. Only by the hair of my chinny chin chin did I ride away from this one. Pirelli angels are top marks. Riders brain however needs a tune up. Stupid mistake,totally my fault. Rode home,total mileage,7 thank you God,whats that smell emanating from my pants, miles. Pretty upset with myself, knew better, just wasnt thinking.
 Also,my bud very nearly bit it yesterday across a patch of leaves on the road, again,he admits,wasn't thinking, taking in colors, just riding, not THINKING.
Just a heads up to all, hopefully keeps you all up to speed and mind alert. Mine certainly wasn't.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc on order baby.... march 2012
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 10/30/2011 8:49 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yup, yesterday morning I rode from my gal's place to the BMW shop where I work part time. Rolled out in heavy fog, frost, about 7:15am. Air temp was in the high 20s/low 30s. Lots of what looked to be damp areas on the road, and all I could think of was last November when I low sided my bike.

Now, some differences to back then. Here it is mid-late October and we've had almost no hard frosts yet. So the ground is still relatively "warm" especially under the roadbeds. As such the road itself is just cold, at least not frosty/icy. But, cold tires are an issue until they warm up. Which reminds me, I need to adjust my tire pressures down about 10 degrees for the colder weather. I just mounted a new Metzeler rear tire on my BMW yesterday. I usually run 40psi front and 42 rear. I'm going to adjust them down to 30 front and 32 rear.

Also, this time of year I do no two-up riding, so the lower tire pressure is fine.  

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

el SID

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 10/30/2011 11:08 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
   Great tip on pressures Andy. My log recorded a 3lb drop from my last ride to this A.M.'s ride,I'm hesitant to call it a ride,a ride for me is one where you dont almost knacker yourself. This mornings outing was more of a excersize on; how to crap your pants, than anything else.
  Back to pressures,Im fond of 35lbs rear/33lbs front pilots my prior tire,and similar conditions in temp,but as stated Im on the new angels. So after,"THINKING!" about riding,Im going to lower to 33lbs rear,32 front. And THINK about what it is that Im doing.
   Two-up riding usually happens till the final ride. Twins are always wanting a ride. But honestly,they are very,good pillons,always alert,working in harmony, enjoying themselves,and hopefully,learning.

current hacks
1996 honda vfr
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

Well Enuff
--- Regaining my sanity --- one ride at time

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 1925

Posted 11/12/2011 11:47 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

It has been almost a year since Andy had his boo-boo. After he wrote about the tire temps I went and bought an infra-red thermometer for about $30. Looks like a cranberry colored handgun. In my normal riding weather the tire temps max out near 125F.

I was wondering for you cold-weather riders what your max temps get to. Also, at what temp do you feel like you can "get a grip" and ride normally and how long does it take to get up there?

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 11/13/2011 7:21 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hmm,..maybe I should pick up one of those infrared thermometers. I could use it to monitor my cold weather tires. After my low side last November, I contacted Avon tire about my incident. They recommend a minimum of ten miles, closer to 20 miles, to generate enough heat in the tires before expecting much of them for cornering.

Too bad no one has a chart of grip versus temperature for DOT tires, that shows the amount of reduced grip with cold tires.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

Well Enuff
--- Regaining my sanity --- one ride at time

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 1925

Posted 11/13/2011 9:06 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Andy, you should definitely get an infrared meter. This sort of what mine looks like.

except mine has 2 lines on the display. Top line is instanteous temp and bottom line is hi temp during the trigger hold. That allows you to scan an area and find the hot spots.

It cost about $30 and similar mods are available at home equip stores like Menards, Lowes, Home Depot etc. I like the narrow beam ones w/ about 6 to 1 distance to spot ratio. That is if my gun is 6 inches away the scan window is looking at a 1 inch diameter circle.

Motorcycle uses are tire temps, exhaust gas temps, exhaust can temp, Cyl fin temp, coolant hose temp, road surface temp, skin temp, and you can use the red laser pointer to entertain your cats.

el SID

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 11/14/2011 4:41 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
BINGO! done. tool guy comes to shop tomorrow. Stupid santa,never brought it. LOL

current hacks
1996 honda vfr
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 485

Posted 11/15/2011 7:16 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
In cold temps the most sticky tires won't work. Must be at least 140 F. Next to impossible for street in super cold temps.

Asphalt, the greatest tattoo remover.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 11/16/2011 11:43 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Alaskans do it....Problem with Southern 48'rs is they don't get enough exposure to ice and snow and Cold.

Focus the forces, Be The Force