Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Motorcycle Safety > Safety, in a Roundabout way  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
30 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 2/14/2011 2:39 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Actually, this is about motorcycle issues regarding "Roundabouts" or traffic circles, as some know them. For you Brits, Aussies, Kiwis and what have you, including a lot of east coast US riders, roundabouts have been around (Ha! Pun!) for a long time, no big deal. But for many of us they're are becoming a new facet of traffic.

Here in the Green Bay, Appleton, east central Wisconsin area new roundabouts are popping up like summer weeds. They are new enough around here that many cage drivers don't deal with them very well. I, for one, like them. But they do require some changes in technique and strategy. Some thoughts:
1. I notice very few cage drivers use their turn signals on exiting the roundabout, so we riders have to assume the cager is going right past us. Maybe not, but we wait for them to go by, and at least they come only from our left.
2. Never assume ALL traffic comes from the left. Some un-knowing or brain dead cager could try to attempt a counter-traffic flow move to make a left hand turn in essence. So still check your clear path.
3. Roundabout use is merging into flowing traffic, so you have to be good/confident on the clutch and throttle. If you are not, then avoid roundabouts until you master those skills.
4. Once in the roundabout, you better have good countersteering skills to maintain your line or adjust your line if so needed. Again, if you are weak on CS skills, avoid the roundabouts until you master that skill.
5. Braking, if needed, on a roundabout means you are already leaning, be aware how your bike reacts to braking while leaned if you have to do it. Or be aware how to quickly stop your bike from a leaning turn. Granted, roundabout speeds are generally low, but many of us know how easily/quickly a bike will fall when leaned over and adding braking. AGAIN! If your skills in this regard are not good, avoid roundabouts until you master those skills.
6. Roundabout cagers are looking for their exit, NOT for you.
7. Slow speeds around roundabouts means any vehicle leaking water, antifreeze, brake fluid, oil, has more time in the roundabout to leave slippery "droppings". Don't charge around busy roundabouts like its your only fun curves in a 50 mile area.
8. I have noticed, in my car, that the left windshield posts effectively blocks a big chunk of my vision looking to the left. I could easily loose sight of a bike on the ring, and I am LOOKING for bikes. Imagine a brain dead cager looking for cars on the ring when your presence is blcoked by their windshield post.

Those are my eight, anybody got more to add? How about mutil-lane roundabouts? Most around here are only one laners and a few two laners.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

Post Edited (Andy VH) : 2/14/2011 9:44:15 PM GMT

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 2/14/2011 2:57 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Beware! I witnessed an elderly cage driver go through the center of one of these before.Caused two accidents. Her excuse was she paniced and had no idea what to do. So if roundabouts are showing up around you there will be drivers doing very stupid, to unreal things on them. Very good saftey topic Andy.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
empty slot needing to be filled miss the "wing"
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

Richard47
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 5552

Posted 2/14/2011 4:15 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Here's another one. If there is another vehicle in front of you that appears to be moving onto the roundabout, make sure it has really gone before you take your turn. It's very easy to move off looking at the traffic on the roundabout only to find that the driver in front has changed their mind and stopped.

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

Andy VH

Date Joined Apr 2005

Posted 2/14/2011 11:05 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
EXACTLY! And a great addition to the list Richard. I have seen many a cager get ready to take off and blend into the roundabout flow. But in some cases that means ya gotta step on it and at the same time adjust your car position into the lane. that is asking a lot of many drivers. Say a car ahead of your bike starts rolling out, and you start moving. Then suddenly the car stops, easy to do since it may be going only 5mph. But you have the clutch out, handlebar turned and the bike is moving. Now you're quick on the front brake with the handlebar turned slightly at slow speed, and many of us know what can happen then, forks "fold" over to the right and the bike falls to the right. Car pulls away, and who is at fault? No one really , but your ride is scrathed and maybe even your elbow or wrist is fractured.

Or worse, you get moving thinking the car is moving. But it is now stopped and you run into it at slow speed, the forks again fold over quickly and you fall behind the car.

So the answer is to not be too quick to move when the car ahead moves out. Give it some time.

el SID

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 2/14/2011 11:25 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have a couple multi laners,1 is 4 lanes the other two are 3 laners. When you are in the outside lane take note of the vehicles in your 10 and 11 o'clock positions,these vehicles generally are occuping the inside lanes trying to exit, as Andy said,however there is 5 more caged maniacs trying to beat that dumptruck,van,suv,etc  in your 10&11 that are blocking you from being seen. I would add to #7 that you would be amazed at what winds up in these things, garbage cans, 4x6's,bricks,carpet rolls,and a ton of ladders. Which only emphasizes on #5. Ive been riding them for about 5yrs and still get the stomach cringe,loads of stupid people, doin stupid things, in a cage blender. My advice would be try to find one thats away from heavy traffic,or go to one early on saturday morning,and enter/exit it a buncha times. There is a flow to them,and a lightly trafficed one would be a good place to learn how to relax,that way when it is busy you will be doing it more second natured. 

current hacks
1996 honda vfr
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

Andy VH

Date Joined Apr 2005

Posted 2/15/2011 6:23 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
A "cage blender", I LIKE that description! Thanks for the comments on the multi-lane aspects to look for. So far, I have only experienced two-lane rounders and never been on a really big one, or a rounder that feeds another rounder.

GeoffG
Instant Classic

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 10791

Posted 2/15/2011 7:54 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There are some new roundabouts in Smitty's area (I'm sure you'll recall his complaints about them). I don't mind 'em...a completely isolated roundabout, with no traffic anywhere in sight, new asphalt, can be kinda fun...I may do a couple of loops around it before continuing on my way... :-)

Out where I live, though...no such thing exists.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 2/16/2011 11:47 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

So here I am as Geoff mentioned.  We have several in our small town & feel they will be aiming at another 2 or 5 of them IN A SMALL TOWN????????  In fact at the start these Town Fathers had 20 of the ruddy things in mind!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes I have to wonder.  Well so far we are getting the hang of them, but this bit of yours Anday reading "6. Roundabout cagers are looking for their exit, NOT for you." is right on the panic button.

At first the logging rigs to 18 wheelers were driving over the center & many of those new to the darn things did the same to also some with normal trucks like the take-off sort of jump as they went over the center.

I know the city of Penticton has two of them, so I am told, but have only seen one & I have not been 50+ Kilometers to the north called the city & the largest of the three with latter being further north called Vernon.

Must admit the few times I hit the round-about in this town Govt trucks were backing up & flag/stop/slow people were giving STANGE signals yet all I wanted to do was go the the left once I travelled the correct distance.

Since then I have seen 18 wheelers & logging rigs go around the round-abouts on two occasions.

So YES you really have to slow down on a round-about, as other people from this town have said that all they needed was lights & so only a partial cost compared to the two presently.

The hired hands on these roads have been putting down a lot of cement at the middle with space for flowers & would have said shrubs, but NOW see they are aiming at TREES as well---stupid fools forgot that tree roots will seach for water & that will be the end of the cement crap & the roads as well------in a while.

There was a bit of bitching from Greyhound bus people & they had to remove several of these cement things for they could not bring in or drive out a bus from thier station.

Two weeks ago we had snow coming down like mad.  Some were tearing by myself & some in front of me, but we all slowed down so I would not be surprised is sometimes we were down to lst or 2nd gear so as to have a SAFE ZONE from those in front.

Still turning into this town one could not make out all the cement THINGS for the white with black lettering warning signs were almost impossible to see. Sai driver took a bit of a ride over the cement crap.  So they will have to come up with blinking Red lights at both ends, for I noted the driver in front of me did not down the sign, but ran over the mess.

I have not spoken to anyone, from this town, that is not simply pissed off with it all.  Believe me some are not saying anything for back in mind they will start to swear about the friggin' mess.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 2/19/2011 1:45:18 AM GMT

Andy VH

Date Joined Apr 2005

Posted 2/16/2011 5:06 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Good point Smitty. Quite often a semi-truck trailer rig will take the outside lane going around a rounder. But, because of the radius of the turn, the trailer will often be in the inside lane. Sometimes the trailer will even go up on the "island" part of the rounder. So to us riders, do not ride alongside a semi-trailer because the trailer can push you onto the island or into the inner curb, both with bad results likely.

Bullet
That guy

Date Joined Apr 2008
Total Posts : 720

Posted 2/16/2011 7:15 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Salt Lake City and some of it's suburbs have quite a few roundabouts. I personally try to avoid them if i'm on the bike. Most times I can because I ride the canyons exclusively in the Summer. I had the bike out last Sunday and because the canyons are off limits for a few months, I ended up riding around town. I hit a few and am really careful when I come up on them. Not my favorite part of SLC.

"Of all the things i've lost, I miss my mind the most!"

el SID

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 2/16/2011 8:29 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
http://mapq.st/gxwguI heres a link to a 2/3 lane rounder by me as you can see its alot of fun EARLY Sunday or Saturday, however any weekday at rush hour its a blender. The southwest corner is a Ford plant so when those boys are coming or going you neednt be around. M53 is a heavy traffic freeway. Lots of industry around,a real hoot in the a.m. when your with sleepy drivers. Tons of road signs plus a landscaped center. Im not sure if the link will allow you to go to a 360 view but it shows most of the cycling problems in pictures. These pics were taken in a very low traffic time as well.

current hacks
1996 honda vfr
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

Treefort
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2006
Total Posts : 2468

Posted 2/20/2011 11:49 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
We have a few in KS and NE. It seems that 1 out of every 10 drivers don't understand the concept of right-of-way. I've had to both stop because the driver in front of me stopped despite there being no oncoming traffic as well as slam on the breaks when a driver ignored the fact that I had right-of-way. I don't avoid them as a matter of procedure, but I'm certainly careful when I use them.

War may sometimes be a necessary evil. But no matter how necessary, it is always an evil, never a good. We will not learn how to live together in peace by killing each other's children.

Jimmy Carter

Andy VH

Date Joined Apr 2005

Posted 8/5/2011 11:15 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Had some recent additional thoughts about roundabouts, to add to the list above:
9. Be very careful getting in a two lane roundabout with a semi tractor-trailer. The trailer will very likely track into the inner circle lane even if the tractor is in the outer circle lane. You may get cutoff or worse yet, pinched into the inner curb.
10. Heavy truck traffic, like dump trucks, refuse trucks (almost certainly overloaded), cement trucks, and just heavy trucks in general, have a lot of tire slip while negociating the circle, which tends to "polish" the surface especially if it is concrete. Don't assume great traction on that surface, because it could be more slick than it looks. This especially applies to roundabouts in industrial areas that get al lot of truck traffic during the week and then little traffic on the weekends. Don't assume the empty roundabout is an open invitation to practice your "hanging off" skills because the traction may be less than you assume it to be.
11. In roundabouts, vehicles are generally moving slower, 15 to 20 mph. If any of those vehicles are dropping any liquids (oil, tranny fluid, antifreeze, water, brake fluid) it may be right in the middle of the turn. Again, don't assume great traction because you may be surprised.
12. Don't assume everyone naturally knows how to use a roundabout, especially if the roundabouts are new to your area (like here in Green Bay). A driver may be easily confused and stop at the entry, when you have cased out the traffic pattern and had assumed everyone was moving. I have heard of confused cage drivers simply hitting the brakes and then sit there when the roundabout is clear to enter.

Well Enuff
--- Regaining my sanity --- one ride at time

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 1925

Posted 8/5/2011 3:26 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
13. Sometimes they paint directional arrows or other informative symbols on the pavement. Early loss of traction, especially when wet, is a possibility.

Andy VH

Date Joined Apr 2005

Posted 1/3/2012 10:00 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Roundabouts are springing up like weeds here in the Green Bay area. In many cases, large roundabouts are being built to replace standard light-controlled intersections. Quite often, the new roundabout is incorporated into the existing "terrain" of roads and businesses. No big deal right?

Well a new, big, three lane roundabout recently went in at a major Green Bay intersection with a Mill's Fleet Farm (a local "Lowes" like store) on the northwest side and a large Kwik-Trip gas station on the southeast side. Busy place with lots of traffic, including semis, busses, RVs, you name it. The Kwik-Trip is one of the larger convenience store places with multiple entries and exits to the store from the road.

As I drove around the roundabout the other day, I noticed two exits from the Kwik-Trip were "just" beyond the roundabout, adding more traffic interaction to the entire traffic-blender environment. This got me to thinking of a cycle going around the outer "circle" planning to continue east on Shawano Avenue. And I could envision a car driving out of the Kwik-Trip, the driver looking west for traffic on the "circle", and that a cycle could easily blend into the background, or other vehicles, and be totally invisible to the car pulling out just off the roundabout.

So, to my point, here is a new environment we have to consider: the roundabout itself, with all the merging traffic goiing in the same direction (something we can for the most part expect), but new interactions (dangers) may exist just off the roundabout. So, ANYTIME you approach a roundabout with a high-traffic business just OFF the roundabout (like a gas station or convenience store) be prepared for a lot more potential issues than the roundabout itself! That means you may have to scan/search PAST your exit from the roundabout for potential hazards, before you even enter the roundabout. In places where morning low sun, or late afternoon low sun will be in the car driver's eyes looking your way toward the roundabout means you are nothing more than a brief shadow in their view. Be prepared before you get there! 

Post Edited (Andy VH) : 1/4/2012 5:06:30 AM GMT

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 1/3/2012 10:23 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Roundabouts are heavy discussed over here and I think the main problem is that Americans have not taken the liking to them. Here's an article from NYT.
Andy got a point that we have something new to learn. Just remember to watch the signs and that you have to yield for traffic in the roundabout/circle:

European Import Has Cars Spinning. Heads, Too.

Mary F. Calvert for The New York Times
Roundabouts (this one is Annapolis, Md.) are increasingly common, if not initially popular, in the United States.
By ANDREW KEH
Published: November 18, 2010
RECOMMEND
TWITTER
LINKEDIN
SIGN IN TO E-MAIL
PRINT
REPRINTS

Traffic is going in circles. Armed with mounting data showing that roundabouts are safer, cheaper to maintain and friendlier to the environment, transportation experts around the country are persuading communities to replace traditional intersections with them.
Enlarge This Image

Mary F. Calvert for The New York Times
Appearances notwithstanding, roundabouts, such as the one in Mt. Rainier, Md., are not the same thing as rotaries or traffic circles, experts say.
There’s just one problem: Americans don’t know how to navigate them.

“There’s a lot of what I call irrational opposition,” said Eugene R. Russell Sr., a civil engineering professor at Kansas State University and chairman of a national task force on roundabouts, sounding mildly exasperated in a telephone interview. “People don’t understand. They just don’t understand roundabouts.”

But many are being forced to learn, 25 years after Clark Griswold captured the public’s unease with roundabouts in “European Vacation,” spending a full day circumnavigating London’s famous Lambeth Bridge roundabout — “There’s Big Ben, kids! Parliament!” — unable to escape its inner lane.

The Department of Transportation does not keep statistics on roundabouts, but experts agree that they are proliferating rapidly. They point to Wisconsin, which has built about 100 roundabouts since 2004, and plans to build 52 more in the 2011 construction season alone. Maryland is closing in on 200. Kansas has nearly 100.

All told, there are about 2,000 roundabouts in this country, most built in the last decade, according to Edward Myers, a senior principal at Kittelson & Associates, a transportation engineering and planning firm.

That does not mean they are usually well received.

For instance, residents of Quentin, Pa., near Harrisburg, were distraught to learn last month that a stoplight intersection in town might be turned into a roundabout.

“I just foresee a lot of accidents,” said John Horstick, 61, who owns the Quentin Haus, a nearby restaurant. A petition circulated at the restaurant garnered hundreds of signatures in a matter of days.

Kitty Schaeffer, 81, said she was worried about large trucks navigating the circle. “Let’s just have a light there, and when the light changes, you just go,” she said.

Public opposition could squelch the proposal.

Rodney Gernert, 39, was not persuaded by the success of roundabouts in countries like France, which has more than 30,000.

“Just because something works in one culture, doesn’t mean it’s going to work in another culture,” said Mr. Gernert, who teaches about world cultures at nearby Cedar Crest High School. “In our country, we don’t hang animals in our storefronts like other cultures. Food is different. Transportation, patience, people, their temperaments, are different from country to country.”

Modern roundabouts are ring-shaped intersections through which traffic flows in a counterclockwise pattern. Cars entering a roundabout must yield to those already inside.

They first appeared in the United States in the early 1990s, according to engineers, who emphasize that roundabouts are not the same as traffic circles or rotaries, like Columbus Circle in New York or Dupont Circle in Washington. Traffic circles usually operate at higher speeds, and some have traffic signals within their rings.

The many traffic circles in New Jersey seem to have tainted perceptions of roundabouts for millions of Americans east of the Mississippi River.

“People say, ‘Hey, you ought to drive in some of those terrible monstrosities in New Jersey before you build them here,’ ” said Mr. Russell, of the roundabout task force. “Now, I don’t disagree that they are monstrosities. But they also aren’t roundabouts.”

Roundabouts are deemed safer than traditional intersections because their design precludes most high-risk situations. “You virtually eliminate right-angle crashes and head-on collisions, and the collisions that do occur tend to be much less severe,” said Anne McCartt, a senior vice president for research at the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

Numerous studies have also found that replacing lights and stop signs with roundabouts can reduce harmful emissions by more than 30 percent because there is less starting and stopping.

Despite these benefits, a circuitous pattern still seems to emerge whenever a community is faced with the specter of a roundabout. Fear and suspicion are manifested in petitions and tense town meetings — and over time they generally mellow into something resembling approval, acceptance or, just as desirable in the world of transportation engineering, apathy.

Three years ago, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety published a study titled “Long-Term Trends in Public Opinion Following Construction of Roundabouts.” After interviewing 1,802 drivers in six communities, the researchers reported that, on average, only 34 percent had supported roundabouts in their communities before construction. But shortly after the roundabouts were in place, the number rose to 57 percent. After a year or more, the number increased to 69 percent.

In September 2009, the Wisconsin Department of Transportation started from the beginning with plans for a roundabout in Mosinee. The agency held a public information meeting to discuss the possibility of installing one near the bridge that serves as the primary artery into the town’s commercial district.

The response from the residents was tepid. Many residents, particularly older ones, were perturbed by the change.

“People gossiped, they speculated, they complained — ‘Why do we need it? This is ridiculous!’ ” said Michelle Ringhoffer, 41, the owner of a nearby bookstore. “But once it was in, they said, ‘Oh, that wasn’t so bad.’ ”

The roundabout opened last month, with only a few hiccups.

“People were constantly stopping, and the people that weren’t supposed to stop were trying to wave you in,” Ms. Ringhoffer said.

Other drivers kept traffic flowing, but not always in the right direction.

“The other day I saw someone going the wrong way in it,” said Steven Grim, 56, a longtime resident. “The wife and I looked at each other like, ‘Oh, that’s interesting.’ ”
A version of this article appeared in print on November 19, 2010, on

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!

Hellfighter
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2007
Total Posts : 201

Posted 1/3/2012 11:17 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Here is Australia, they sometimes have the bright idea of turning the inside of roundabouts into a little forest. Yeah, looks really pretty with trees and all that (I guess)... but it really impairs everyone trying to use the bloody thing.

I hope it's not the same in the States.

On Iron Horse He Gladly Dies

Andy VH

Date Joined Apr 2005

Posted 1/4/2012 2:01 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, practically every roundabout here in the Green Bay area, especially the big ones, have a "domed" island design usually featuring some form of landscaping. I suppose it is intended to block visual view directly across the roundabout. My guess if people could see directly across a totally flat roundabout they might be inclined to drive straight across.

With the domed/mound design drivers approaching the roundabout have little choice but to look left naturally at the only oncoming traffic that would be their natural oncoming conflict threat. Perhaps the idea then is to lead the head/eyes in the directtion of traffic flow. With a view directly across, some drivers may be inclined to not naturally look left.

Personally, so far I like the roundabouts. Once the general populace around acclimates to them traffic should flow better overall. For motorcycles I think it is better, overall, because it should eliminate the car turning left into the cycle's path of travel. However, I'd say fewer than 5% of drivers signal right when they are exiting the ring. So, those entering the ring have to watch the car front tires (tires don't lie about the car's direction of travel) and not the driver's eyes to determine when it is safe to merge into the ring.

One thing I notice about the rings around here is the lane and ring markings. They tend to be big, to be more obvious of course. But that means they may also have reduced traction for a single track vehicle like a motorcycle. So, just because your bike can lean through a ring doesn't mean you can ripping through these things. Watch for the traction issues. Also, vehicles dripping all sorts of slippery stuff, are doing it all around the ring at lower speeds, so potentially over time there could be more of it! Something else to watch for especially when its wet and raining.

Post Edited (Andy VH) : 1/4/2012 9:06:06 AM GMT

Hellfighter
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2007

Posted 1/4/2012 4:27 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Andy VH said...
Well, practically every roundabout here in the Green Bay area, especially the big ones, have a "domed" island design usually featuring some form of landscaping. I suppose it is intended to block visual view directly across the roundabout. My guess if people could see directly across a totally flat roundabout they might be inclined to drive straight across.

With the domed/mound design drivers approaching the roundabout have little choice but to look left naturally at the only oncoming traffic that would be their natural oncoming conflict threat. Perhaps the idea then is to lead the head/eyes in the directtion of traffic flow. With a view directly across, some drivers may be inclined to not naturally look left.

Personally, so far I like the roundabouts. Once the general populace around acclimates to them traffic should flow better overall. For motorcycles I think it is better, overall, because it should eliminate the car turning left into the cycle's path of travel. However, I'd say fewer than 5% of drivers signal right when they are exiting the ring. So, those entering the ring have to watch the car front tires (tires don't lie about the car's direction of travel) and not the driver's eyes to determine when it is safe to merge into the ring.

One thing I notice about the rings around here is the lane and ring markings. They tend to be big, to be more obvious of course. But that means they may also have reduced traction for a single track vehicle like a motorcycle. So, just because your bike can lean through a ring doesn't mean you can ripping through these things. Watch for the traction issues. Also, vehicles dripping all sorts of slippery stuff, are doing it all around the ring at lower speeds, so potentially over time there could be more of it! Something else to watch for especially when its wet and raining.

That does make sense. However I think these islands should be built to a certain level. Big enough to be seen yet small enough as to not impair totally.  Alot of cagers here hammer through them.

Youre spot on about them being slippery. Proceed with caution, especially in the wet.

Hellfighter
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2007

Posted 1/4/2012 4:37 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Oh yeah, a mate of mine was rear ended on his CBR just before entering a roundabout some months ago. Was the usual inattentive soccer mum in a 4wd who hit the accelerator, assuming my friend was also. She too had some advice for him before they whizzed him off to the hospital in a stretcher and it was "Maybe you shouldn't ride a motorcycle". He says he was speechless by that point haha.

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 1/4/2012 8:30 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I don't know about the US respective standard on traffic-circles or roundabouts. We started designing roundabouts in Norway back in the 60s and in
the 70s I was a fresh Highway Engineer designing and laying them out for the contractors.

I have seen some weird solutions over here and I do have the feeling that the US will figure out their own standards. I have seen some roundabouts
where you just can ride straight through and that fellows beat the purpose. You need a clear obstacle in the middle of the circle that you have to ride/drive
around. Particularly in private developments I have seen these and I do understand that these are too small for larger trucks to go around so they, the
designers, create a straight through shortcuts. Thus it's easy for the critical mass to say: "Why the heck do we have those?"

They need to be built correct, otherwise they beat the purpose.

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!

Andy VH

Date Joined Apr 2005

Posted 1/4/2012 9:34 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Good point about the potential for being rear-ended at the entry for a roundabout!

In fact, I wonder if the roundabout may actually result in a slight increase in rear-ender type accidents. Think of it this way: you approach the entry, slow to watch for traffic and time your entry moving slowly with cager traffic behind you. Say you misjudged about a car already on the ring approaching from your left, or perhaps the car on the outside of the ring is actually NOT turning off but is now going ahead to the next exit. So you apply brakes to quickly stop from 15 to 20 mph (common entry speed for rounders). BUT! The cager behind you thought you were rolling along to quickly merge in ahead of the car. You stop and the cager suddenly misjudges and bumps you down, or worse, punts you into the ring!

So the technique its to know what/who is behind you as you approach the ring and either be certain about merging in or clearly stopping to yield to ring traffic. This is perhaps the new equivalent to the classic car turning left into the cycle path. But instead now its the cycle moving into the cars path. At least the speeds are slower, and it is more of a glancing blow should it happen. But still no good for the cycle rider. So don't assume the ring is totally safer than the classic light controlled intersection.

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 1/4/2012 10:56 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
People are so stupid around here, and fearful of change, that some roundabouts now have freaking stop signs!

Morons!

Andy VH

Date Joined Apr 2005

Posted 1/4/2012 2:19 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Really??!! You have got to be kidding!

Amazing that brain-dead car drivers cannot figure out something to simple as a roundabout. But I guess that says it right there, they have to think and figure it out. A RED-YELLOW-GREEN light really only has one choice to be made for each color, and perhaps a lot of car drivers are showing they don't want to have to think anymore behind the wheel than they have to. Scary really.

el SID

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 1/4/2012 2:21 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kinda kills the ol roundabout altogether, doesnt it?

Best bike out is the one Im on,sod the rest lmao
current hacks

1996 honda vfr
2012 tuono rsv4 aprc on order baby.... march 2012
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125 I have broken her back. I feel guilty. she may have to be laid to rest.