Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Motorcycle Safety > Uneven lanes  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 485

Posted 7/29/2011 4:06 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Was riding to Orem today and got caught in a lane that was to be paved soon. Problem was an 1 1/2" cliff of uneven pavement to make a lane change. Pretty sure had I tried to change lanes it would not be pretty. A dirt bike no prob, maybe. Have anyone here done that? A little difference in pavement level makes the 14 squirm like a worm. At a 90 degree angle would have been a major bump. I just followed the lane until went safe. It would have scuffed the wall of a car tire perhaps with damage.

Asphalt, the greatest tattoo remover.

GAJ
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 7/29/2011 4:33 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes, run across that.

The signage and warnings for motorcycles are often non existent.

Really need to take a sharp angle to cross the juncture as a simple "normal" lane change maneuver could result in a serious crash with potentially fatal results if you get hit by freeway traffic.

Selling my one owner '97 TL1000S: www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372346

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 7/29/2011 5:03 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I "climb" over the uneven with a sharp twist with my body to move the bike up and over. Back again is no problem.
1 1/2" ain't that bad IMHO.

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 7/29/2011 6:12 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
RedDog said...

1 1/2" ain't that bad IMHO.
OK, Mr. Million mile expert rider.  Good for you.  :p

For most riders with average skills however, that much of a transition UP can be fatal.
Jumping DOWN 1-1/2 inches ain't much of a problem if you slow WAY down.

Part of the problem is that those transitions are often the edge of a new layer of asphalt.......which is loose AND oily.

The only option as far as I am concerned is to stay in your lane. 
Unless, of course, you can slow down to about 5 mph and hit it at close to 90 degrees.

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 7/29/2011 6:55 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Got to do the "twist" and I would not do it on slippery, rainy surface. I span around some rail road tracks in the rain years back and figured out what edges are safe to cross. Even today I cross rail road tracks as close to 90 degrees as I can.

I fully agree that staying away from this edge is the safest particularly when you have never attempted anything like that before.

I am not trying to brag here but sometimes people surprise me as did 2 persons that stopped crying, I am not kidding you, because they encountered gravel road - on 2 different occasions, both were active here on MC USA.

RedDog

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 7/29/2011 8:26 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ZX Rider said...
Was riding to Orem today and got caught in a lane that was to be paved soon. Problem was an 1 1/2" cliff of uneven pavement to make a lane change. Pretty sure had I tried to change lanes it would not be pretty. A dirt bike no prob, maybe. Have anyone here done that? A little difference in pavement level makes the 14 squirm like a worm. At a 90 degree angle would have been a major bump. I just followed the lane until went safe. It would have scuffed the wall of a car tire perhaps with damage.

OK this is fun.  You did it the right way, for not being sure of what happens in that situation, so stick with the lane...

But...you can learn how to take this and the simular variations on, and this is important, because....there may be a situation that isn't a choice, and you are faced with just doing it.

Start with an imaginary line (in an empty parking lot), and a speed that is typical (say 35 MPH at first)..and crossing this imaginary line at an angle that is typical (90 degrees is ideal but..not typical for changing lanes) Say 45 degrees, that's do-able.

And you can pop a low wheelie on demand right?  If not play with that till you can.

Now pop a low (say 3 or 4 inch) wheelie just before (but definately before) crossing that imaginary line and set the wheel down just after crossing it, preferably before the rear wheel crosses the imaginary line.

When You are confident you can carry the front wheel over a line...go ledge hunting...and when you find that ledge, carry the front wheel over it.
Viola You don't have to hit that ledge/edge, do you?

Bring on the road work...they can't do anything that is a hazard now lol 
 screw ups are for sissies yeah

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Post Edited (louemc) : 7/30/2011 3:29:33 AM GMT

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 7/30/2011 9:46 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Even MSF classes teaches how to cross obstacles using a 2x4. Remember or do we need to take the BRC again?

--> Maximize angle, buttock off seat, coming close: gas/flick it - and you should be home safe.

RedDog

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010

Posted 7/30/2011 10:01 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Can't wheelie a streached 14 on demand unless there is open space for such nonsense. I was in heavy traffic and felt very trapped. A time when power is useless.
louemc said...
ZX Rider said...

OK this is fun.  You did it the right way, for not being sure of what happens in that situation, so stick with the lane...

But...you can learn how to take this and the simular variations on, and this is important, because....there may be a situation that isn't a choice, and you are faced with just doing it.

Start with an imaginary line (in an empty parking lot), and a speed that is typical (say 35 MPH at first)..and crossing this imaginary line at an angle that is typical (90 degrees is ideal but..not typical for changing lanes) Say 45 degrees, that's do-able.

And you can pop a low wheelie on demand right?  If not play with that till you can.

Now pop a low (say 3 or 4 inch) wheelie just before (but definately before) crossing that imaginary line and set the wheel down just after crossing it, preferably before the rear wheel crosses the imaginary line.

When You are confident you can carry the front wheel over a line...go ledge hunting...and when you find that ledge, carry the front wheel over it.
Viola You don't have to hit that ledge/edge, do you?

Bring on the road work...they can't do anything that is a hazard now lol 
 screw ups are for sissies yeah

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 7/30/2011 11:02 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ZX Rider said...
Can't wheelie a streached 14 on demand unless there is open space for such nonsense. I was in heavy traffic and felt very trapped. A time when power is useless.

Never really understood the keeping the bike stretched, after you stopped drag racing, with it.
I'd think (unless the stock swng arm was re-fabricated to get that stretch), that un-stretching it would be rather simple.
And popping a front tire into the air far enough to clear hazards...is foolishness?
Seems to be just the opposite for me.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010

Posted 7/30/2011 1:52 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
For some reason just can't lose the straight line power. The Beeoch will still wheelie even at 8 " under the right conditions. Dennis was streached and slamed on his turbo Busa, mid track went 11 o'clock. Scared the poop out of us. He was only running 400 hp. Pretty decent for a street bike.

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 8/1/2011 9:42 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
For an experienced rider, the edge of uneven lanes may not be an issue. But to a newer rider who doesn't know/understand how the front wheel will react when contacting a significant vertical edge (1.5" is a significant edge) it could have bad results.

Any vertical edge, if not contacting at a 90 degree angle, has the potential to quickly countersteer the wheel in the direction of the angle of approach. In other words, contact with the edge countersteers the wheel such as to cause the cycle to lean into the edge, causing MORE countersteer effect, causing MORE lean. If the rider is not aware of how this happens and the resulting reaction of the bike, the edge can actually cause the bike to "steer into" the edge. David Hough called this an "edge trap".

An edge trap can in essence, "trap" the front wheel into a dramatic and sudden countersteer which pitches the rider over onto the leaning/falling bike. It can happen very quickly, even at speeds as low as 15 mph, like crossing an exposed railroad track at an angle less than 90 degrees. Trust me, I learned the hard way back when I was 17 years old.

IF you must cross an edge at an angle less than 90 degrees, try to "steer into" the edge just before contact to minimize the countersteer reaction at the front tire. Making contact with the throttle applied helps to "power" the front wheel over the edge also. If you try to contact the edge slowly or gently you are more likely to get the sudden countersteer reaction at the handlebar.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

talon
she rides

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 688

Posted 8/31/2011 12:42 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Learned how to do this while mountain biking (downhill technical). Good experience.

Ride it like you want to ride tomorrow.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 9/9/2011 12:42 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I have been into a flag man/woman with a STOP sign.  That is becuse they have to drill away mountain sides so they can blast.  Which does come to a pain in the ars.

On same road construction I noted the gal go to the right & I took that as meaning being on a m/c that is not so bulky inside, then I can go & did that only ahead were six cages stopped so took the California touch of riding through the gap, some I use to do back in '46 till I was stopped by the RCMP in '47 & told this was ILLEGAL.

At the other gal with the sign I am flagged down & she starts to give me 'ell & I tell here us was an error & NO I cannot hear her through a full face helmet with soft ear plugs on.

A few days later same gal that sort of stopped me & I was one of four ready to start off on this two lane road.  I noted some 6 were to my right so said "For crying out loud allow me to take off lst, NOT THE CAGES, as we do not want to have a pile-up as this m/c is to costly to go down".

So yes she nodded her head & I was on my way.  Just three-four miles futher on & I had a maze of cage drivers well above the speed limit, passing me for that is their way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 9/9/2011 7:45:10 PM GMT