Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Motorcycle Safety > Ties  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

mlb55
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2011
Total Posts : 5

Posted 8/31/2011 8:02 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
When should tires be replaced?

jon
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 8/31/2011 10:05 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
when it's time to replace them. check the wear marks and other signs of age such as cracks.

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 9/1/2011 6:04 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
mlb55 said...
What's your situation......as in, why do you ask ??

In addition to the obvious....no tread left or cracks or other defects......the general rule of thumb is that tires over 5 years are suspect, no matter how good they look.

If they have had little exposure to sunlight and excessive heat....AND......your riding style is very conservative, then maybe a little over 5 years would work if they look good.......but not much over.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 9/1/2011 7:24 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
mlb55 said...

This isn't a question that has a decent answer over the internet.
Someone looking at your tire(s) that knows what they are looking at, is vital.
Obvious things like wear to the wear bars..or bald,  or cracks etc., aren't the only signs. 
And...You're giving no information.  What is the bike, How are you using it. 

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Richard47
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 5552

Posted 9/1/2011 11:18 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you're wondering about the age thing, it's because as the tires get old they go hard and don't grip as they should, even if the tread appears to be good. Always replace the tires as they get close to the wear indicator and never, ever, let them go bald.
New tires are a lot cheaper than medical treatment.

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

mlb55
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2011
Total Posts : 5

Posted 9/4/2011 11:00 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The bike is a 2007 Honda VTX 1300R with 5200 miles on orginal tires. The front tire is starting to show some dry cracks on the side wall. I ride alot of road with hills and curves. any recommendations on tire brands. my front is 140/80-17 an rearis 170/80-15

GeoffG
Instant Classic

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 10791

Posted 9/5/2011 9:25 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'd suggest sticking with one of the "major" brands (Michelin, Pirelli, Dunlop, Metzeler, Avon, etc.), although some folks report good results with cheapo offshore tires such as Shinko.

If you want a specific tire recommendation, you'll have to wait for the cruiser riders on this site to weigh in--I ride on sport or S/T rubber.

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 9/5/2011 10:30 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
mlb55 said...
The bike is a 2007 Honda VTX 1300R with 5200 miles on orginal tires. The front tire is starting to show some dry cracks on the side wall. I ride alot of road with hills and curves. any recommendations on tire brands. my front is 140/80-17 an rearis 170/80-15

when i had my cruisers, metzeler m880 was my preferred choice. good combo of grip and longevity.

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 9/5/2011 10:40 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
GeoffG said...
I'd suggest sticking with one of the "major" brands (Michelin, Pirelli, Dunlop, Metzeler, Avon, etc.), although some folks report good results with cheapo offshore tires such as Shinko.

If you want a specific tire recommendation, you'll have to wait for the cruiser riders on this site to weigh in--I ride on sport or S/T rubber.

They normally come in a little later .... smhair

One brand that gets high recommendations is this: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/31/401/6065/ITEM/Dunlop-Elite-3-Touring-Radial-Rear-Tire.aspx

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!

Post Edited (RedDog) : 9/6/2011 2:09:35 PM GMT

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 9/6/2011 6:34 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Don't go cheap on tires, or try to squeeze every mile possible out of the tread, like I used to do. When the wear bar indicators in the tread show level to the outer surface its time to change out the tire. Look along the tread edge side of the tire for a small arrow-point with a "TW" next to it, follow the point of the arrow over the tread and you'll find the wear bar indicator in the tread.

Aside from that, if a tire is old enough, or weather/sun/ozone aged enough to crack the sidewalls, its time to change out the tire even if the tread wear indicators have not come up level to the tread. Any tire aged enough and hard enough to crack at the sidewall has lost a lot of flexibility and grip.

Oh, why do I caution about the tread wear issue, and not wearing the tires down past that point? Because I found out the real "hard" way on a nearly bald rear tire on a wet muddy surface. I dumped the bike after loosing control/balance, and the bike fell on me. When it did the blunt edge of the fairing snapped my leg just above my boot on my left shin. No blood, no bone puncture. But imagine your foot/boot literally "dangling/swinging/circling" in every direction when you stand up, NOT GOOD! I now have a titanium rod in my left leg, below the knee to above the ankle because of me being a cheap-ass trying to squeeze miles out of a nearly bald tire.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 9/6/2011 5:14 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Fer cripes sake! "dangling/swinging/circling"... oh man made my leg cringe.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
track hack? 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc? who knows,cant decide....
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125