Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Motorcycle Safety > How old is too old for a Motorcycle Helmet?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Rich_S
MCUSA Staff

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : -537

Posted 9/6/2011 3:01 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I was just curious how old is too old for a motorcycle helmet? At what age is a helmet too old to be safe to wear?

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 9/6/2011 5:41 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Rich_S said...
I was just curious how old is too old for a motorcycle helmet? At what age is a helmet too old to be safe to wear?
You might be a redneck IF......your helmet is older than your head.  lol

You did this just to stimulate conversation, right ?? smilewinkgrin

Mine don't get a real lot of use and are stored in a cool, dry place so they "last" about 10 years if not exposed to any "trauma". 

Is that safe ?? 
I'm sure it is a lot safer than no helmet at all but beyond that..........??????

lionlady
-----Mistress of Novices. -Total miles: 85,000+

Date Joined Sep 2003
Total Posts : 2759

Posted 9/6/2011 8:07 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, Arai won't service a helmet beyond 7 years. The general rule of thumb I've heard is 5 to 7 years from date of manufacture. Given that the foam crash padding will become brittle over time, I replace my helmets at 5 years.

P

ATGATT: Because walking away in disgust, beats riding away in an ambulance.

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 9/6/2011 8:44 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yup, I agree with Lionlady. Why chance it? Remember the REAL function of any helmet is to give your brain a chance at survival. Your skull can be cracked, damaged, repaired. But your brain cannot repair itself, or depend on a doctor to repair it. The real function of a helmet is to absorb the initial hit and velocity of a crash and allow your noggin to slow down enough that when your brain hits the inside of your skull (the 3rd and critical hit of any helmet to object impact) the impact is reduced enough to not turn your brain into the consistency of warm Jello.

When the crushable polystyrene impact liner hardens and degrades with age it can no longer perform that HIGHLY critical function of slowing your head enough for the brain to survive the inside hit. Polystyrene helmet liners are the same material as the cheapo styrofoam ice coolers you buy at the local convenience store. And we know how easy it is to compress that material.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 9/6/2011 9:19 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Rich_S said...

like many products, how its used and cared for is more important than age. for me personally, the shortest helmet life span is 3 years and the longest is 8 years.

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 9/6/2011 9:28 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
5 years is what I have gathered up the years. The vendors say the helmets hardened like concrete and when it dries out and get stiff, time for a change. But I ain't changing out all the concrete around here.

The important issue is that you do not want to have a helmet when it gets stiff. Test it by holding the helmet and see if you can flex it by pressing the sides.

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 9/7/2011 12:06 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
RedDog said...

The important issue is that you do not want to have a helmet when it gets stiff. Test it by holding the helmet and see if you can flex it by pressing the sides.

ditto that. in addition, i would pull the pads and liner out to inspect the styrofoam (the most important component) for wear and tear such as cracks and crush spots.

Richard47
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 5552

Posted 9/7/2011 1:41 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I changed my helmet last year when it started to feel more loose than it should. It was about six years old. It hadn't had a hard life as I don't ride nearly as much as some of you, but it was time for it to go.

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

Rich_S
MCUSA Staff

Date Joined Feb 2009

Posted 9/7/2011 8:36 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I figured the time to replace was 8-10 years at the absolute max.  I just wanted to be sure I wasn't misinformed.  ;-)

This question stems from a helmet my dad gave me when I was in high school to ride a quad. Digging up the helmet now I noticed the Snell date was 1975. shocked  It was well over 15 years old by the time I was using it. A few folks I know also had stories of parents digging out past their prime helmets for children to wear when they were younger.

Makes me wonder if some are not aware of the dangers of an old helmet?

For all your motorcycle news and motorcycle reviews - Motorcycle-usa.com

Post Edited (Rich_S) : 9/13/2011 2:51:57 PM GMT

DataDan
Rodent Of Unusual Size

Date Joined Sep 2003
Total Posts : 1054

Posted 9/7/2011 9:37 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I have never found any reliable information suggesting that a helmet needs to be replaced simply due to age (crashing or other impact is a different story). MSF's book Motorcycling Excellence says:

Impacts aside, age can also have a negative effect on a helmets' ability to protect. Repeated use can compress the comfort/fit liner. Ultraviolet rays can break down the outer shell...

And MSF's website adds:

The chin strap may fray or loosen at its attaching points...

If I ride 15,000 miles a year at an average speed of 45mph, my helmet will be exposed to the sun for 333 hours a year. If that's even a tiny fraction of the time it takes for UV to degrade the fiberglass in the helmet's shell, I'll eat the stinking thing. If fiberglass degraded even in 20 years, there would be no 1991 Corvettes, just dust-covered chassis and drive trains.

I did once retire a helmet when the strap started looking a bit ropey. It was at least 10 years old.

If don't remember a liner ever compressing enough that the helmet's fit seemed too loose. The helmet loosens up after wearing it a few times, but doesn't seem to change much after that.

I've found nothing that suggest the expanded polystyrene (EPS) impact absorbtion material degrades with age.

I'm extremely suspicious when someone trying to sell me something tells me I need a new one every few years. I don't replace my helmets just because they're old.

A superior rider uses superior judgment to avoid problems that would demand his superior skill.

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 9/7/2011 11:37 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Inexpensive and comfortable helmets under $200 are very easy to come by.

Why take the chance.

I guess I've retired all my helmets before 8 years or so.

Selling my one owner '97 TL1000S: www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372346

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 9/7/2011 11:46 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
DataDan said...

I'm extremely suspicious when someone trying to sell me something tells me I need a new one every few years. I don't replace my helmets just because they're old.

same here, there are just too many variables to consider. kind of remind me of that "3 month/3000 mile" oil change myth. how it was used and how it was cared for is still more important to me than age.

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 9/7/2011 1:42 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jon said...
 kind of remind me of that "3 month/3000 mile" oil change myth.
You young pups, I swear.

The first car I drove recommended oil changes every ONE thousand miles.  smilewinkgrin

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 9/8/2011 6:50 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Me think any helmet is better than nothing. Just check the flex. It it's soft and flexes, it's OK ...

RedDog

Casper
The teddy bear of doom,,,

Date Joined Sep 2006
Total Posts : 4099

Posted 9/9/2011 11:52 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I had a kid show up to a BRC a couple of years ago on a 1978 Honda Silver Wing. And he was wearing the (very nicely) matching painted helmet that came with the bike. Very nice, sharp looking.

"Nigel,,, are you wearing a 32 year old motorcycle helmet?"

------- "I guess so. Why?"

I pressed on the foam liner and it was like wood. We had a discussion...

The world's a funny place,
full of funny people,
doing funny things.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 9/9/2011 12:28 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Basically it is time to retire a helmet that has not taken any blows.  I have several of them in one storage room that I replaced some yrs ago to another three in my garage for many reasons, like how do I toss them into the garbage even with a blow of a sledge hammer, for you put out some garbage as THEY say or not & no matter what you are still changed for garbage weekly, same for any plastics in the blue bag & so that is the downfall of some cities or towns.

I look out during garbage time & see everyone has a garbage contained & several if not three of the blue bags.  Good chance I have NONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  True a few weeks later I might have one of each.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Rich_S
MCUSA Staff

Date Joined Feb 2009

Posted 9/9/2011 3:46 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Smitty said...

Basically it is time to retire a helmet that has not taken any blows.  I have several of them in one storage room that I replaced some yrs ago to another three in my garage for many reasons, like how do I toss them into the garbage even with a blow of a sledge hammer, for you put out some garbage as THEY say or not & no matter what you are still changed for garbage weekly, same for any plastics in the blue bag & so that is the downfall of some cities or towns.

I look out during garbage time & see everyone has a garbage contained & several if not three of the blue bags.  Good chance I have NONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  True a few weeks later I might have one of each.

Some if they are old enough become sort of novelty items. Like some vintage 60's-70's helmets. They look cool and remind people of a time when they used to ride or learned to ride. Or a different time in design/style.  But they should never be worn at this point as Casper mentioned the padding is about as soft as cement.

For all your motorcycle news and motorcycle reviews - Motorcycle-usa.com

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 485

Posted 9/19/2011 7:16 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
About two years, the liner is shot and the rock chips make it look ugly. Hand washing works well but the sweat takes it's toll. Stinks like no other, and sweat shrinks the liners. Guess I'm a dirty biker, The hotel room solves all the probs.

Asphalt, the greatest tattoo remover.

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 9/20/2011 6:16 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Like you say, hand wash works wonder.

RedDog