Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Motorcycle Safety > 1 piece, 2 piece, make your own  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Phil B
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 126

Posted 9/16/2011 7:05 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've been pondering for a while, why it is that most Track opportunities, require that you have either a one-piece suit, or a two-piece that specifically zips together.
I thought it was maybe that somehow non-zippable ones might separate and expose midriff, which could then get scraped. But that did not seem adequate explanation to me, since with a jacket like I have, there's no way I would get bare midriff.

However, I think I've just figured out the hard way, the full reasoning.
It's to stop exactly what happened to me.
When I went down, my riding pants moved lower. Which then had the knee pad in the wrong place. And I then got hurt more.
When the pants stay high, the pads are actually reasonably placed.

I guess I need to start saving up for a track-rated suit, even if I never actually go to the track :-/

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 9/17/2011 10:00 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You got it right.

One piece suits, are the best cause they do not separate - 2-piece suits zipped together are good too. That's what we have used for years, wife and I. But just like a helmet, they have to be tight but still comfy for hours of riding. That leads me to something I don't like to see, but have seen several times:

Textiles and or other wear, even leathers, that is not tight - thus the safety padding is slipping under stress and leave the are to be protected - thus damage. I have seen crushed knees and elbows cause padding slid off. Some of these nice ventilated Summer jackets looks and feel great to wear - but again, if you don't tighten up, you will have an issue if crap happens.

It's not stupid to learn from the racers? Seen Stoner in a textile suit lately on the track?

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!

Phil B
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 126

Posted 9/17/2011 12:29 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
RedDog said...
You got it right.

Some of these nice ventilated Summer jackets looks and feel great to wear - but again, if you don't tighten up, you will have an issue if crap happens.

scorpion's XDR commander jacket, isnt a "summer jacket". But it's served me well for 80+ degree riding in LA.
(oh. plus protected me GREAT when I went down)

Just take out the warmth liner, open up the vents, and it rides really well.
Yet at the same time, the vents are tiny.
They are not susceptible to tearing, even if somehow the jacket shifts. they are long and narrow and in places like the INSIDE of your elbow.
Plus, the padding is nice and large. Even if it shifts around a bit, you are covered.

You feel like you are wearing a suit of armor.. but it's a *comfy* suit of armor ;-)

The jacket is so well designed, I feel let down by the gloves I bought. "scorpion SG". NEVER buy these. internal, scratchy seams. ugh!

But the jacket, is great. I guess you gotta stick to their "XDR" line for good stuff.

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 9/18/2011 3:03 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I know this is a bit off where you are going phil,but I really love my draggin jeans. Fit great and provide good protection. Never really tested them aside from an off on a pit bike on a go kart track. But they worked flawlessly.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
track hack? 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc? who knows,cant decide....
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125