Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Motorcycle Safety > neck braces  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

STUNAMI
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2011
Total Posts : 3

Posted 10/20/2011 3:00 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

neck braces are many what type should a 11 yr old be using to race

Deacon Blues
The Imaginary Director

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 2946

Posted 10/20/2011 3:49 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Uhmm.... that's probably a question best asked in the off-road or racing sections, as this tends to be more street-oriented.

However... any folks care to chime in about the proper things to look for with a neck brace?

"Lane splitting will never be accepted in those areas where driving is considered a martial art."

Current Ride: 1992 BMW K75RT "Sif"
Past Rides:
1985 Yamaha FZ750 "Diablesse"
1987 Yamaha FZ700 "Pandora"
1979 Yamaha XS750 "Cerberus"

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 10/20/2011 5:35 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Deacon Blues said...
However... any folks care to chime in about the proper things to look for with a neck brace?
I think that the proper thing is not called a "neck brace" at all.
Wish I could remember what it IS called.  cry

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 11/2/2011 11:59 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

When one rides a street iron they need to make a shoulder check to see if their intent to get over to the left lane is not partially blocked by a cage.

In the dirt I do not know for I put 42 yrs of dirt comp practicing & believe me for every event to come up one needs to practice a LOT.  Often my practicing was all on my own & never with other comp riders.  So any prangs in practicing were due to the many concussions I had in those days.

So a neck brace aimed mainly at drivers of racing cars I think things are different for a few have died, in past years due to the fluid in the brain section being chased off to some other area & the brain was against the scull.

You might suggest to your 11 year old son to wait a few more years before taking up racing a bike in competition.  Mind you they will also need the same when using a skate-board to a bicycle.

I do not think my parents worried for in '46 is when I took up riding a m/c & by 42 I was into many forms of m/c competition.  I know they worried, but it was part of life for by 48 I was also climbing mountains to also into speed-skating & Amateur Wrestling plus the start of Judo.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 11/27/2011 1:00:26 AM GMT

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 11/19/2011 10:02 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Doubt if the original poster will be reading this...but... for anyone that does...Alpine Stars is the brand, and dirt riders have no excuse for not using the Neck Brace...Street riders should use it...but...more product development needs to be offering it built into street gear.

Focus the forces, Be The Force