Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Motorcycle Safety > Man, I need a louder horn!  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Gone in 60
Lone Commuter of the Apocalypse

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 657

Posted 11/15/2011 11:19 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Both the VTX and the Nighthawk have the wimpy little stock horns. As a rule, I try to ride in a manner that makes a horn irrelevant, and I've very rarely used them in traffic.

The Nighthawk's horn is particularly weak. This morning on the way to the freeway, I pulled up beside a lady at a red light. She was doing her makeup and listening to the radio, with her windows up. She had no idea, apparently, that she was driving on a completely flat back tire. I pulled up along side and honked and honked - no response. I finally tapped on her window to get her attention.

Work to ride, Ride to work
Honda VTX 1300R & 750 Nighthawk

jon
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 11/15/2011 3:41 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
did you say, louder horn for the vtx?

Gone in 60

Date Joined Jan 2008

Posted 11/15/2011 3:49 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That'll do! I have a Stebel, and have been meaning to install it on the VTX in about the location of that picture.

Mr-Show
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2011
Total Posts : 42

Posted 12/1/2011 7:36 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
thats what loud pipes are for!!

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 12/1/2011 7:44 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jon said...
did you say, louder horn for the vtx?

Nice one Jon! yeah

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 1408

Posted 12/10/2011 11:05 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mr-Show said...
thats what loud pipes are for!!

You can bolster awareness in some scenarios this way, but horns project their sound more forward. Exhausts more backward. Cars in front can hear a horn, but perhaps not your pipes! If your pipes are as loud as a good horn, they're too ****ing loud.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 12/10/2011 3:07 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Rotsa ruck on a horn doing what one would hope a horn does.

Never underesimate the drivers determination to remove their attention from the outside of their car, World.

Could be with music (using the term loosely) that flex's the sides of their car...or ear buds in their ears.

Or just oblivious to anything, types.

I never use any horn..I don't count on getting the drivers attention, or what they would do with it if they had it.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 12/11/2011 3:05 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motorcycles have horns? lol

I'm with Lou on this one.

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 12/11/2011 11:04 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
GAJ said...
Motorcycles have horns? lol

I'm with Lou on this one.

freaked Ditto that!

RedDog

Gone in 60

Date Joined Jan 2008

Posted 12/12/2011 9:36 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Maybe it would be easier for me to mount a bat within easy reach of my handlebars? :)

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 12/12/2011 10:18 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Gone in 60 said...
Maybe it would be easier for me to mount a bat within easy reach of my handlebars? :)

Point being...You would be better off learning how to control your bike, and intensify the concentrated focus of attention, to access the situation your riding into...and with that not have,
 the problem arise.

If you divert mind and muscle to honking a horn or going for a bat...Your not using that mind and muscle for controling your bike, or your mind either.

Just sayin..your way ahead by keeping a cool head, and dealing with yourself and your bike...
That's a full time job,  no room is left for engaging in conflict with drivers.

And conflicts can turn against ya, in a deadly way, in a heart beat...never under estimate the psycho's fuse.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 12/12/2011 10:35 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well said, Lou!

RedDog

Gone in 60

Date Joined Jan 2008

Posted 12/12/2011 2:02 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You know I was just joking about the bat, right...

I can't remember the last time I need to honk my horn to avoid a bad situation. With all of the distracted drivers in L.A., most of my honking is at red lights, at the car in front of me - "Guess you didn't notice, but the light turned green a minute ago. Put down your phone and go!"

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 12/14/2011 3:51 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Pretty much what lou said is why I rarely even think about honking the horn. I'm more concerned about not getting myself into a bad situation. Even if I divert the attention to the horn there is certainly no guarantee it will help.

Meanie_Intruder
Posted a Pic of a Man Thong

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 2099

Posted 12/24/2011 7:33 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Lou may have some valid points, but that shouldn't eliminate the need for a loud horn.

There are times when that car comes out of nowhere or even times when you anticipate/expect that car to enter your lane or cut you off somehow. Though, you can simply avoid with your riding alertness, the loud horn can be a reminder for the driver to look thoroughly, especially for us smaller objects and hopefully apply that message the next time they do what they did.

Even great riders will encounter a not so great driver. A toot can make the difference.

BTW Gone, I use the Stebel and it makes people jump. I love it.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people"

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 12/24/2011 6:24 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
True, you should not completely throw the horn out and it can make a difference. I was doing my last ride of the year two days ago (it was unusually warm). I gave a toot on the horn because the driver in front of me was not looking at the now-green light which had been green for five seconds (count 'em seconds, not fast seconds). Didn't do a damn thing. I think his wife eventually was like, "GREEN LIGHT!" and they finally moved. Assuming he wasn't deaf he was completely distracted by something else. Maybe he had spontaneously caught on fire.

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 12/25/2011 7:38 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Maybe he had spontaneously caught on fire.
One can only hope......
The horn is a part of a package. I use mine all the time. Same with high beams. Go after the bigger horn Gone. While you always try to keep yourself safe, people are totally unpredictable. Not using the horn IMHO means your not using all of your weapons to keep yourself alive.
Now Lou brings up a very valid point. Somewhere in the past 20 or so odd years, the horn has become perceived as a offensive device. Like how could you honk at me Im perfect. And s**t can go south quickly from there, we all know the types, pick up trucks with short tempered males, 16 yr old girls in VWs with save the whale stickers texting.
By right,I carry. So, the Peacemaker, brings me a sense of comfort, if there were a serious confrontation, with a road ragin cager. It wont stop Johnny from running me off the road,or Suzie smacking into me at the stop light. But I think that is why I use the horn without thinking twice, its incorporated into my timing and set up of traffic. Plus I have faith in humanity that a simple beep wont end with a confrontation. Very,Very good point though Lou.

Best bike out is the one Im on,sod the rest lmao
current hacks

1996 honda vfr
2012 tuono rsv4 aprc on order baby.... march 2012
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125 I have broken her back. I feel guilty. she may have to be laid to rest.