Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Motorcycle Safety > WTF Happened??  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
56 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

ChapR6s
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2011
Total Posts : 85

Posted 12/5/2011 3:19 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, I practiced today just stationary for 15-20 minutes in neutral. It went pretty well…imagine if I had started off with that info, haha..but the point is it went well (in neutral). Of course it didn't take long for me to get bored and need to add the downshift, so I tried it a few times in a small parking lot. That went well too, but I have a TON of practice to still do. It was amazing how I could feel the front end a lot better today compared to the other day b/c my mind was so focused on blipping and riding, today in the parking lot it was a lot less stressful. Tomorrow morning game plan is at least an half hour-an hour of practice in a larger parking lot so I can understand how to do it in 3rd to 2nd gear. I will continue to practice and update with how its going. I definitely don't enjoy the cold weather riding, I like that sticky feeling of the tire and road!

thesoapster
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 1408

Posted 12/7/2011 6:47 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just saw this! I usually don't enter the safety section; maybe I should. I have to say I've only rarely done this. I rev match downshifts all the time but not usually while braking. I don't think I've practiced it consciously, just did it a few times. I'm going to have to practice it more now.

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 12/7/2011 11:55 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Similar technique in terms of front brake and simultaneous throttle control that you get if, like me, you hold your bike with the front brake on a steep uphill when at a stop sign.

Most people, of course, hold the bike with the rear brake but for me holding it with the front, strangely, feels more comfortable and rolling on the throttle while progressively releasing the front brake isn't that hard once you get used to it.

Then again, I rarely use my rear brake at all and actually need to start using it a bit more in "normal" riding situations just to maintain a good feel for the lockup point, if nothing else.

Selling my one owner '97 TL1000S: www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372346

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 1408

Posted 12/7/2011 4:24 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I don't usually hold my bike with the rear brake in any circumstance unless I need my right hand for something while stopped. I usually like my right foot on the ground, left on rearset.

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 12/7/2011 4:25 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Agree with Gaj sorta,I find that once you get it down, the need to use the rear brake is lessened. I still use it,but in comparasion to not rev matching while braking I use the rear more to get a similar feel in my deacceleration. I hope I described that well. If not post and I will try to expound on it. Also I use the front and/or rear to hold the bike depending on the situation

Best bike out is the one Im on,sod the rest lmao
current hacks

1996 honda vfr
2012 tuono rsv4 aprc on order baby.... march 2012
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 12/7/2011 6:28 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I use both brakes - one at a time - depending of what I have to do, scratching something for example, stretching the hand, etc. Right hand is pretty busy all the time riding so few breaks.

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!