Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Motorcycle Safety > Loud pipes, why they suck.  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 485

Posted 12/22/2011 6:50 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
1. You can't hear screaching tires about to nail you.
2. Sirens,...... forget it.
3. Nut job cagers packing heat.
4. Ringing ears that are for the rest of your life.
5. Neighbors that encourage taggers and hate your guts.
6. Motorcycle riders that say,..(If I made that much noise, would have 2000 HP
    not 50).
7. Weird, scary people think your cool.
8. You can't hear a rod knock or trouble with your engine.
9. Your engine no longer makes the HP as before. Fuel up, power down.
10. Applies to all motorcycles.
11. Track bikes excluded.

12. Have that tee shirt.

Asphalt, the greatest tattoo remover.

Post Edited (ZX Rider) : 12/23/2011 2:10:25 AM GMT

Hellfighter
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2007
Total Posts : 201

Posted 12/22/2011 9:31 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Everything comes at a cost :)

On Iron Horse He Gladly Dies

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 12/22/2011 9:32 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
GOOD LIST!!!

More than I would have thought of!

Well wait, loud pipes also proves you were neglected by your mother as a child. This has to do with the "MOMMY WATCH ME, MOMMY! MOMMY! YOU'RE NOT WATCHING ME!" syndrome.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010

Posted 12/23/2011 6:27 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Looking forward to the whisper quiet new 2012 ZX-14, No pipes, no high pitch turbo, just a pleasure to ride with a bit of grunt. Have to build a shield for the ram air so heavy rain won't choke out the engine and fill the cyclinders with water. Hydro static lock is a beeoch with much damage to the engine. A fault never answered. A thing that doesn't exist with brand X.

Post Edited (ZX Rider) : 12/24/2011 1:41:21 AM GMT

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 1408

Posted 12/23/2011 8:50 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mine's louder than stock, certainly, but not nearly as loud as it could be (I know...I turned it on once when the exhaust ended at the Y pipe). I don't have the hearing issues because I wear ear plugs while riding due to wind noise (bike isn't so loud it would justify it). Ear plugs do seem to get in the way occasionally with things i probably should be hearing but as a whole I prefer them.

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010

Posted 12/27/2011 4:52 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I wear them too. A little late though, just to keep what I have left. Quiet is good, noise bad.
thesoapster said...
Mine's louder than stock, certainly, but not nearly as loud as it could be (I know...I turned it on once when the exhaust ended at the Y pipe). I don't have the hearing issues because I wear ear plugs while riding due to wind noise (bike isn't so loud it would justify it). Ear plugs do seem to get in the way occasionally with things i probably should be hearing but as a whole I prefer them.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 12/28/2011 11:45 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ZX Rider said...
Looking forward to the whisper quiet new 2012 ZX-14, No pipes, no high pitch turbo, just a pleasure to ride with a bit of grunt. Have to build a shield for the ram air so heavy rain won't choke out the engine and fill the cyclinders with water. Hydro static lock is a beeoch with much damage to the engine. A fault never answered. A thing that doesn't exist with brand X.

The shield for the ram air, (I can't believe that kinda water is going to come in though) could be one trick item.... I'm thinking clear Lexan, with a peak  ( > )spliting the air in front of the Kawi fairing... small, just at that nose, and ram air opening, and with open space between it and the opening.

So dry air is still getting ram'd...wet air is diverted.  Bugs diverted as well.
Ya really have to get after the air filters on those bikes...because of the dirt and Bugs that get rammed in that opening.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Post Edited (louemc) : 12/28/2011 10:17:43 PM GMT

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 12/28/2011 3:12 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I really doubt any ram air/water would get to the cylinders. The carbs/intake is behind the head, 180 turn forward from the ram air intake. The ram air also has to go through a number of turns before entering the air box, where the air/water can disperse/expand a bit. Then the air/water has to go through the air filter (assuming it is still there) as it makes more directional changes before actually going through the intake manifolds into the combustion chambers. Also, on a warmed up engine the intake runners and intake valve ports will be heated up significantly.

Surely water, bugs, debris will get to the air filter in the airbox, so cleaning the air filter is a high priority to insure clean strong airflow to the engine. But I really doubt water itself would get into the combustion chambers to possibly cause any hydraulic lock issues.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

Budoka
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : 938

Posted 12/28/2011 4:14 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My RC has Yosh pipes on it but they're not obnoxious to bystanders that I've heard of; and in a small town you certainly hear if they are. The Edmonton by laws say they're still legal by about >2 Db. I also don't look for reasons to open the tap when riding on the street and attract unwanted attention. That's where most of the guys with open pipes (em, mostly cruiser riders and I include all Harleys in that group with anything other than the stock pipes). The V&H Longshots I had on the Vulcan were really LOUD and would definitely fail the noise test by a big margin and cost me a penalty but I never once got a second glance from any Leo...city or otherwise. Pays to at least be repsectful if you're going to be foolish enough to have them. Wouldn't do it again though; must be getting on in yearslol

I never get lost, there's always lots of people telling me where to go!

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 1408

Posted 12/28/2011 5:12 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The RC with a nice set of sporty pipes (baffled but not decibal eater inserts) makes one of the nicest sounds I've ever heard in a motorcycle.

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010

Posted 12/28/2011 6:28 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
On a stock bike, most likely not. On the way to Idaho last August, was caught in a fearfull down pour. Exiting off to safe haven the engine died and didn't want to turn over. A week later the engine was apart for a blown head gasket and a whopping .012" warp. The rods looked good, and at that time decided to go with many engine upgrades. I don't have solid proof, the turbos' air cleaner is out in the open and the turbo likes to move air into the engine. At 12.25-1 there isn't a lot of room for outside interference.
Andy VH said...
I really doubt any ram air/water would get to the cylinders. The carbs/intake is behind the head, 180 turn forward from the ram air intake. The ram air also has to go through a number of turns before entering the air box, where the air/water can disperse/expand a bit. Then the air/water has to go through the air filter (assuming it is still there) as it makes more directional changes before actually going through the intake manifolds into the combustion chambers. Also, on a warmed up engine the intake runners and intake valve ports will be heated up significantly.

Surely water, bugs, debris will get to the air filter in the airbox, so cleaning the air filter is a high priority to insure clean strong airflow to the engine. But I really doubt water itself would get into the combustion chambers to possibly cause any hydraulic lock issues.

guitardad
Original Oilhead

Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 1741

Posted 12/31/2011 7:46 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Andy VH said...
Well wait, loud pipes also proves you were neglected by your mother as a child. This has to do with the "MOMMY WATCH ME, MOMMY! MOMMY! YOU'RE NOT WATCHING ME!" syndrome.

Andy, I am so stealing that.  Thanks!

Find your MSF Class here: http://www.msf-usa.org
 1994 R1100RS Clifford - Red, the "energetic and quick-thinking" color
 1988 R100GS Muffin - White, the "status-seeking extrovert" color

lawrence1
06 ZR1000

Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 322

Posted 1/1/2012 10:05 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
13. Can give you a headache

Pigs of Life MC

bmwr100r
Airhead

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 1455

Posted 1/6/2012 8:35 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
13b Can give others a headache also

Freedom prospers when religion is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged.
Ronald Reagan

Hellfighter
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2007
Total Posts : 201

Posted 1/6/2012 9:49 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
bmwr100r said...
13b Can give others a headache also

That's appealing though haha

On Iron Horse He Gladly Dies

bmwr100r
Airhead

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 1455

Posted 1/7/2012 5:12 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I always say " I don't get headaches, I give them "

Freedom prospers when religion is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged.
Ronald Reagan