Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Motorcycle Safety > What to wear for April trip to the Western US?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Stevie-Jonesy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2011
Total Posts : 3

Posted 12/30/2011 1:26 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Everybody,
my wife and I are going a Western States tour in April 2012. (A big circle, coastal and inland starting and ending in LA)
Could you give us some advice on what to wear please?
Here in the UK, even in summer we wear full protective gear (for warmth as
well as protection).
Leather trousers, boots, jacket and full face helmet.
Would this gear be suitable for the tour or would the climate dictate we
wear something lighter.
Thanks
Steve

Post Edited By Moderator (lionlady) : 12/31/2011 10:03:43 PM GMT

jon
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 12/30/2011 4:34 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Stevie-Jonesy said...

Here in the UK, even in summer we wear full protective gear (for warmth as
well as protection).

i would stick to what you've been doing in the uk. the weather is on the nicer side in april in the western states so it shouldn't be an issue with your gears. have a good trip!

Casper
The teddy bear of doom,,,

Date Joined Sep 2006
Total Posts : 4099

Posted 12/30/2011 7:52 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
April is mild, your stuff should be fine. If you get up in the rockies at that time of year you may wish for more layers - it can get cold up there!

The world's a funny place,
full of funny people,
doing funny things.

Gone in 60
Lone Commuter of the Apocalypse

Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 657

Posted 12/30/2011 12:03 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Welcome, and have a great trip! When you get to California, keep in mind that lane splitting is legal, so don't be surprised if you see riders doing it. Also, drivers in L.A. are very distracted - cell phones, texting, etc. Drive with caution!
And have fun!

Work to ride, Ride to work
Honda VTX 1300R & 750 Nighthawk

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 12/30/2011 1:47 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Agree with all above....The detail of what your UK gear is..only You know. What the temps are at any gven spot on your tour of the Western States...only the being there will show.

It can snow in Yellowstone in July But all of the Western States are having a different weather, than usual, now.

If you can route your ride, as you see what the weather is...That's a huge item. If You have reserved lodging locations...that's a crap shoot on what the weather is going to hand you, at a given day and place.

What is the bike? Just wondering how "bagged" is it, for carrying cloths to layer up?

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Stevie-Jonesy
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2011
Total Posts : 3

Posted 12/31/2011 1:12 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Great advice.
Many thanks to all you guys,
Loumec: We'll be on Honda Shadows with plenty of pannier room so I can take some extra layers if it gets chilly.
Thanks again guys
Steve

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 12/31/2011 11:30 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have found the high-performance under-gear used for biking or skiing is also very effective for motorcycling. It is thin, lightweight, gives you more options for "layering" and can be worn in very hot conditions to still offer skin protection from the sun. I have not ridden the deserts of the west myself (save for an afternoon Oct ride in the Phoenix area, still 90+F), but others I know who have always wear long sleeve shirts even in 100+ degrees F.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org