Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Motorcycle Safety > New Law Allows Illinois Riders to Run Red Lights  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Rich_S
MCUSA Staff

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : -537

Posted 1/4/2012 1:13 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Bryan Harley reports that a new law passed in Illinois will allow riders to run a red light after a set period of time in which the light hasn't triggered to allow a motorcyclist to cross the intersection. What do you guys think of this new law, good idea? or trouble?

louemc
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 1/4/2012 1:24 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Stopping, and looking, isn't running a red light.

What are Ya? Someone from Oregon, that can't pump their own Gas? Or sumpin?

Focus the forces, Be The Force

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 1/4/2012 1:25 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That law should be Federal.

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 1/4/2012 2:07 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Call me Johnny Lawless or Lawbreaker, I guess. There will be some numpty/muppet who doesnt do it right and sue. Costing us all more money, but beyond that, great! One less ticket I will have to worry about.

Best bike out is the one Im on,sod the rest lmao
current hacks

1996 honda vfr
2012 tuono rsv4 aprc on order baby.... march 2012
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125 I have broken her back. I feel guilty. she may have to be laid to rest.

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 1/4/2012 2:26 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
In Wisconsin the law has been on the books for over five years now. It does though, require that the bike be the ONLY vehicle at the intersection for a minimum of 45 seconds without the light changing after the bike has stopped. IF no other vehicles are present at the intersection and 45 seconds have passed, then the cycle can legally run the light AT THEIR OWN RISK. SO it comes down to meeting the letter of the law and accepting the risk of handling cross traffic appraching the intersection. Really not much different than a plain old stop sign. I have no real issue with it as long as some officer doesn't try to pin a ticket on me based on his interpretation of the events.

Oh, I agree, some clueless "aint ever my fault" numbnut will likely run a light and get pasted by cross traffic and then try to blame the non-responsive lights operated by the county/city/state for putting him at risk.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 1408

Posted 1/4/2012 7:25 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I already have done this a couple times since I began riding. It's very rare that it happens to me, though. Several times in my waiting for the light trigger that did not pick up me, a car will pull up behind me and set it off and then I can go.

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 1/5/2012 2:25 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Rich_S said...
What do you guys think of this new law, good idea? or trouble?
Good idea.......but if the LEOs were properly trained it wouldn't be necessary.

Illinois, like most other states, already has a law on the books that allows ANY kind of a motor vehicle to cautiously proceed through a red light that is "malfunctioning".  That includes electronic triggers that don't.

Those laws were enacted in the "old days" of electro-mechanical traffic light controllers that often became "stuck" when a relay failed.

Almost 100% of the tickets written to bikers running a "stuck" light in Illinois are thrown out in court.
This new wording won't absolutely ensure that tickets are still not issued when they shouldn' t be but it should cut down on the frequency some.

Alas, in the past some riders have used the "stuck light" as an excuse to run the light and this might make that more frequent.

'06 Suzuki S50 (VS800)
'07 Honda Shadow VLX 600

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 485

Posted 1/7/2012 11:39 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Red lights, green lights, all crap. Clear the intersection first, then worry about the color.

Asphalt, the greatest tattoo remover.