Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Off Road > MCUSA Battles Chupcabra in Mexico!  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
30 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Kenny
MCUSA - Editorial Director

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2003
Total Posts : 484

Posted 12/16/2005 7:28 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I thought that MCUSA Battles Chupacabra might get your attention. Anyways, we did battle Baja and we got our butts kicked. ALong the way we came up with some stories we thought you might be interested in so we went ahead and posted the first one for this weekend. Over the next week we will post a coule more so check them out and let us know if you would have done anything different.

Also, we have loads of photos and cool videos to go along with each one so you should at least have a look at those for goodness sake.

Damn it, where'd Duke go now?

Post Edited (Kenny) : 12/18/2005 2:42:01 AM GMT

Tros
Global Moderator

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 7362

Posted 12/16/2005 9:39 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The Article said...
I had a 3.4 gallon IMS tank on my XR and everyone else was set up with the 4.6 gallon IMS so as usual, I was the root of the next problem.
Why did you opt for the 3.4 tank over the 4.6 tank? You guys are nuts! smilewinkgrin

As for the video; whats this bs about censored? lol

People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost."

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004

Posted 12/16/2005 10:07 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Oh, and it's "Chupacabra"

Cute, isnt it? devil

lol 

People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost."

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
chupacabra.jpg
  17KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 10311 time(s).

TheWall67
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2005
Total Posts : 141

Posted 12/17/2005 6:47 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hot women, parties, and 700+  miles of dirt riding through awsome country on incredible motorcycles.  Tough life guys...and a lot of fun to read about.

Hilde44
MotoUSA - Dirt Guy

Date Joined Sep 2005
Total Posts : 469

Posted 12/17/2005 12:41 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
We would have liked to have another 4.6 gal for Ken's bike, but the 3.4 was what we had installed for our Vegas-to-Reno race. It's funny because he's the one who ordered the bigger tanks after the Nevada race. It would have been great if he had bothered to pick up another one, but he figured that the spiffy saddle-bags would suffice, and if not then we'd just have to save his ass all the time. Unfortunately it was usually the latter.

You'd think that he would at least have the decency of fixing his own problems, but time and time again it was someone else, usually me, that had to pull double duty as rider/babysitter. We would have just left him sitting by the bonfire, but seeing as he was in control of our only stash of pesos, we were obliged to bring him along.

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003
Total Posts : 1521

Posted 12/17/2005 3:36 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Crazy bastards...

-KD, MCUSA Editor

Kenny

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 12/17/2005 6:45 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kansas - One spelling error on the Forum and you call me out? Man, you're as tough as Duke and Don! Where's that ban button again? Oh well, J.C. he's just bitter because my bike had the steering dampner and his didn't. By the way, that 3.4 gallon tank turned out to be only the first of many wrong decisions that plagued me/us during this trip. To tell you the truth, I haven't had a good night sleep since we got back - or a drive to work that doesn't have me ticked off by the time I arrive - because i keep dwelling on the mistakes.

TheWall67
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2005
Total Posts : 141

Posted 12/18/2005 8:50 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kenny said...
...To tell you the truth, I haven't had a good night sleep since we got back - or a drive to work that doesn't have me ticked off by the time I arrive - because i keep dwelling on the mistakes.
I took an acronym from the army to describe this thinking pattern.  AAR’s – After Action Reviews.  They do keep you up at night.  Don't let it get the best of you...

Hey, watch this...

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004

Posted 12/18/2005 8:55 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kenny said...
Kansas - One spelling error on the Forum and you call me out? Man, you're as tough as Duke and Don! Where's that ban button again?
smilewinkgrin lol

Mistakes happen, Kenny. Don't get too stressed over the ordeal. Get stressed if you repeat your mistakes more than once. smurf

bkorfhage
Punk Kid

Date Joined Apr 2003
Total Posts : 410

Posted 12/18/2005 9:06 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
So...I'm in the middle of 18 holes at Morrow Bay Golf course on a 75 degree day on the central coast about a month ago when I was thinking of you guys...

Nice work guys...hell of a story. :)

go ahead, ask me anything...

Kenny

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 12/19/2005 8:50 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Momma says golf is the Devil's game!

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 12/19/2005 10:31 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Seems to me like golf and Baja are similar games:

1. Wander around, sometimes aimlessly, toward the next checkpoint.

2. Repeat.

3. Enjoy beverages while regaling each other with tales of derring-do and woulda-coulda-shouldas.

-KD, MCUSA Editor

Hilde44
MotoUSA - Dirt Guy

Date Joined Sep 2005

Posted 12/19/2005 5:07 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You may be onto something, Duke... Though similar, let's not forget what size of apparatus is required. Just my opinion here, but it seems that despite Nicklaus and crew's most fervent arguments, squaring off against trophy trucks takes a bit more in the gearbag than a miniature, dimpled que ball.

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 12/19/2005 8:10 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

We all have our way of getting to the 19th hole...

Seriously, you guys have some stones for getting through the race. Congrats!

-KD, MCUSA Editor

Kenny

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 12/20/2005 5:23 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Enough with the brown-nosing already Duke, sheesh. You can have Christmas off already!

Seriously folks - check out Baja - Agony & Ecstasy - Part II right here. I know you will want to hear what a few of the pros said about Baja so check out the videos too.

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004

Posted 12/20/2005 6:16 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Three things come to my mind:

- Silt does suck arse!

- Dangit, now I've got to watch Dust to Glory to see what I'm missing out on.

- Man, what a nice looking house!

Sounds like a hell of an experience!

MoToRmOnKeY R6
Screaming Wennie

Date Joined Sep 2005
Total Posts : 142

Posted 12/20/2005 8:01 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You guys are crazy... i'll stick to the pavement where i have somthing called TRACTION! jumpin

-Grant

Hilde44
MotoUSA - Dirt Guy

Date Joined Sep 2005

Posted 12/21/2005 8:18 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dust to Glory? Man, we've got SIX different videos! Who needs D to G? Maybe next year we'll just make a DVD of our own. Maybe it'll help offset the costs...

Hilde44
MotoUSA - Dirt Guy

Date Joined Sep 2005

Posted 12/21/2005 5:08 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Don't go anywhere, folks. The pre-run finale is ready to rock and our full-blown race recap is in theaters Friday.

gipe
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2005
Total Posts : 2

Posted 12/22/2005 6:18 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jumpin Hey I love the videos and write ups from baja. Sounds like you guys had the time of your lives. I can't wait to read about the race.
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
gary greg gord & deb baja.jpg
  902KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 5 time(s).

Hilde44
MotoUSA - Dirt Guy

Date Joined Sep 2005

Posted 12/24/2005 12:34 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The race report is up and running, Gipe. But do you really need to hear my account of it? Don't you have a few first-hand experiences of your own?

I'm sure you do, but keeping track of everything that happened was hard at the time. After we all got together and BSed a bit, we discovered all the little things that happened. When those little things add up, that's what makes Baja mean so much to those who participate. Here's how it all played out.

drthompson65
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2005
Total Posts : 3

Posted 12/25/2005 2:02 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I admit I was never into Baja but after watching "dust to glory" I'm finding it more interesting.. When did Mr Monster Garage Jesse get into baja? Is he running a score truck?

Kenny

Date Joined Apr 2003

Posted 12/25/2005 6:50 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think he's tried it a couple times. This time he pre-ran on a Prcision Conceptes prepared bike and then raced in a Trophy Truck. How about Travis Pastrana - he was on a bike team and a truck team. His truck never crossed the finish line (Or at least not in the 30 hour limit) and his bike team was 4th (Although they got DQed). We'll try to get more info on those teams if you guys are interested.

SIDRA_18S
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2005
Total Posts : 2

Posted 12/25/2005 11:24 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I liked the stories about Wilky. I have been riding with him for 15 years and he is a stubborn bastard.

Wilky has ambushed me at a creek crossing, knocked me down, got me lost, made my bike overheat, taken me on trails where I had to carry my bike, bumped me, threw rocks at me, caused me to run out of gas, told wild elbows flying stories and we always had a great time.

He is the only person I have ever met who would pass me while I was going into a corner at 100 mph on a road a road bike. He would also pass me through wet rocks on a level nine trail.

It figures Wilky would get to ride Baja too.

Baja sounds like fun.

DW

Kenny said...
I thought that MCUSA Battles Chupacabra might get your attention. Anyways, we did battle Baja and we got our butts kicked. ALong the way we came up with some stories we thought you might be interested in so we went ahead and posted the first one for this weekend. Over the next week we will post a coule more so check them out and let us know if you would have done anything different.

Also, we have loads of photos and cool videos to go along with each one so you should at least have a look at those for goodness sake.

Hilde44
MotoUSA - Dirt Guy

Date Joined Sep 2005

Posted 12/26/2005 9:51 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Doing the pre-run in Baja was my first riding experience with Wilky, and that guy is a character. I wasn't fortunate enough to get knocked down by him directly, but he did pass me on the gnarliest silt hillclimb and completly dust me out, causing my only crash of the entire trip. Thanks, Buddy.

Anyway, you mentioned his stubbornness, and I can attest to that. During our strategy brainstorming session he was one of those chiefs that refused to be a regular Indian. He's one of those guys that always lets his opinion be know regardless of whether or not it's going to piss you off. There's more to a good riding buddy than speed on the bike, which he has plenty, and despite being an obstinate bastard, I wouldn't have traded that guy for anyone.