Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Off Road > MotoUSA EnduroCross Project Build  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Hilde44
MotoUSA - Dirt Guy

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2005
Total Posts : 469

Posted 11/16/2006 1:51 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
We've decided to enter the tight, nasty confines of the 2006 Maxxis EnduroCross in Las Vegas, NV. We've put together a bike and rider combo that we can only hope will survive the torture. Check it out in this preview.

intermediaterider
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2006
Total Posts : 2

Posted 11/16/2006 9:33 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What about a Rekluse clutch and retain the clutch lever?

Hilde44
MotoUSA - Dirt Guy

Date Joined Sep 2005

Posted 11/16/2006 10:04 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That was one of our first product requests, but unfortunately we couldn't get the product, install it and then pre-test it before the leaving for Vegas. We didn't want to run a product like that without getting a good amount of time to familiarize ourselves with the differences it makes. Good call though, Intermediate. There's plenty of guys who will be sporting the automatics this weekend.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 11/16/2006 12:36 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Umm, I'm a little confused. I take it a CR 500 two stroke and a CRF 450 four stroke can be in the same class?
On the Taming the beast part, well, it sounds like your direction has been chosen, and, since I don't know at this point if the CR and the CRF are in the same class, there isn't any point in going into it, But if there was................. there is a secret, and when the CR is tweeked with it, is the most at every moment, no matter what the moment is like. Just glad to see MotoUSA in the event, hope MotoUSA makes us proud, Good luck.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Hilde44
MotoUSA - Dirt Guy

Date Joined Sep 2005

Posted 11/16/2006 4:53 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
We chose the path of the bike we had available. I'm not sure I'm picking up what you're laying down about the secret tweak, Lou. Regardless, the classes are open to a run what you brung format. The only regulations in the 2-stroke class and 4-stroke class are obvious, but engine displacement is not regulated.

We're here now and it's on! Brian and I just finished walking the track and it looks gnarly. The rock pile is huge and the tractor tires are 8-feet tall! The water hole is super deep and it has waterfalls on each side, you have to jump in and climb out. The whole thing is supposed to get even tougher on Saturday when the pros come out. Hopefully we're one of the 10 riders who make it to the Sat. program.

Keep the comments and suggestions comming. Trust me, Lou, if you have some secret tweaks up your sleeve, I'd love to hear about them.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 11/17/2006 11:05 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hilde44 said...
We chose the path of the bike we had available. I'm not sure I'm picking up what you're laying down about the secret tweak, Lou. Regardless, the classes are open to a run what you brung format. The only regulations in the 2-stroke class and 4-stroke class are obvious, but engine displacement is not regulated.

We're here now and it's on! Brian and I just finished walking the track and it looks gnarly. The rock pile is huge and the tractor tires are 8-feet tall! The water hole is super deep and it has waterfalls on each side, you have to jump in and climb out. The whole thing is supposed to get even tougher on Saturday when the pros come out. Hopefully we're one of the 10 riders who make it to the Sat. program.

Keep the comments and suggestions comming. Trust me, Lou, if you have some secret tweaks up your sleeve, I'd love to hear about them.

When You're desperate, to the point of prepairing a CR 500 to take you where the CRF 450 wouldn't/couldn't, then I'll lay it on you guys. It makes the two stroke behave at lowest throttle moments like a four stroke will, pick up like a four stroke torque, and go to the top end hit of the two stroke, like the two stroke never was tweeked. It's a secret weapon. It's not real easy to do (like a bolt on) but very do-able. I'm not a big fan of the added weight to the flywheel that you guys did to the CRF. It has a plus (that's why you did it) it also has a minus, a slowing down of throttle response, and that isn't good. It can seem good, but, it reduces you to the same-ness of the competition, that's not good.  smilewinkgrin  I know this sounds vague to the point of stark raving nuts, but secrets are secrets for a reason, and arcane knowledge was kept in deep recesses of back rooms, because that was what seperated from the front rooms and the daylight dwellers, that didn't pay the dues to get into the back rooms. ;-)  When that water hole turns into a mud bath, when all those churning wheels convert it to soup city............ Let's see how it goes smilewinkgrin
Oh, one more thing, since I can't picture the layout of the course, is it at possible to jump over that water hole?  It sounds like (on a built course) like one of those things that are there to seperate the men from the boys on how it's crossed. I'm real eager to hear how this event goes.

Post Edited (louemc) : 11/18/2006 6:53:18 PM GMT

intermediaterider
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2006
Total Posts : 2

Posted 11/18/2006 7:21 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The Rekluse gives you a distinct advantage in the gnarly stuff by literally eliminating the stall factor.  This alone makes it a nice modification.

I hope you guys do well but IMO, I'd have picked a lighter weight 2-stroke for something so nasty.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 11/20/2006 10:25 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Oh, one more, one more thing, Hilde44, If it isn't possible to jump over, or otherwise stay out of the water hole, and this might not get answered till everyone gets a crack at it, during the race, but, could it be possible to drop into the water hole, on the rear wheel, front wheel up out of the water, power keep it there, crossing the water hole, front wheel up while hitting the far bank, so the rear wheel hits first, over there?
I'm with intermediaterider on this. CRF might be getting good reception right now, but when a job has to be done, in Knarly land, Two Strokes rule. They need tweeking, everything needs tweeking.

Hilde44
MotoUSA - Dirt Guy

Date Joined Sep 2005

Posted 11/20/2006 5:03 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I offered to let BC use my CR250, but he was a stubborn bastard, too good to stoop to my level apparently. The 450 was too much bike for the course, and we knew it would be, but he was more comfortable on his own bike. Besides, he was able to contribute his own funds to adding a few extra touches since it was an investment in his own equipment.

Jumping over the water hole was impossible. Nobody even doubled into it. The massive log leading up to the edge required navigation and once over it riders were able to hop into the pool, but nobody launched off the log and landed in the water. It wasn't feasible to wheelie through either. Waterfalls into and out of made sure of that. The fastest guys would hop all the way across to the bottom of the exit waterfall and then climb out, but it was a two-wheeled affair.

We've got some good footage of the course so you'll get a better understanding of what I'm talking about soon. We've also got some interesting results from our experience that I'll disclose in the EnduroCross Project Wrap-Up in the coming days. For now you'll have to wait as I post a few emminent items and recover from five nights in Vegas and 2,000 miles of driving.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 11/21/2006 11:04 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Excellent !!!, I'm looking forward to seeing what you put together to show us. :-)

Hilde44
MotoUSA - Dirt Guy

Date Joined Sep 2005

Posted 12/1/2006 5:01 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Here it is. The EnduroCross Wrap-Up didn't turn out like we had expected, but our videos and photos did. Be sure to check them out.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 12/4/2006 10:28 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm waiting till seeing the Speed Channels coverage of the race, before saying much, but, from these pictures, I think it's safe to say, this Enduro-Cross format is so different, in a tough to do, and a speed combo, none of any of the racers are mentally, and the developed skills going with it, for this specific form. This is something that will get developed by the few, that are determined to do it. We will see, as time goes by, a movement, a small group of rad intense extreme pioneers, that develope skills that aren't seen at this time. They will fly the course.
The others that stay involved with some other form (MX, Super Moto, Desert racing, Enduro, Trials) and just show up at these Enduro Cross races to see how they do, will either drop out, or take on the determination to join the extremists.
As far as the 450 four stroke being too much. No it's not too much for the course, but, the weight, and size, would be too much for anyone that hadn't developed enough prior to trying this. A 250 four stroke would be a mistake as well. Too little power for the package. A 250 two stroke with the modification I was talking about, to give the low end power and retain the top end power, would be a great learning tool, so getting to a 500 two stroke with that same low end power and top end power could be gotten to, would be a goal. Main thing, is getting to a point where the mind is changed, so the racer can fly the bike. Anything along the lines of a heavy flywheel and a clutch to prevent stalling is going no- where.

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003
Total Posts : 1521

Posted 12/5/2006 4:39 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sign yourself up, Lou - you've got it all figured out! smilewinkgrin

-KD, MotorcycleUSA Editor

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 12/5/2006 10:57 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've got a lot more than that figured out, I know I'm physically long gone out of it. I had to give up Desert racing, because the pain of the extreme riding (felt the next day, and that day being Monday, and one should be at work on Monday, and it's not good to be at work when you feel like you should be in the Hospital) So.......... I'm not signing up for anything, I know better. But that doesn't mean I don't know what has transpired in the passing years in how Dirt Racing has changed, and how it came about. Seems like just yesterday, no one even thought of a double jump, which quickly became a triple jump, and one lad had the notion he could do a complete rotation back flip in the air. These dirt racers are coming from BMX / skateboard child hoods, and fathers starting them on Motorcycles when they are 5 years old, and suspension actually working. And the "tricks" come faster as they come.
This Enduro Cross, promises to be another leap in the dirt evolution, being a raised bar challenge to be met. It will take some time for the competitors to develop special skills, but, I'm confident that everything is in place for it to happen.

Hilde44
MotoUSA - Dirt Guy

Date Joined Sep 2005

Posted 12/18/2006 4:11 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I don’t know about your “extreme racer” theory, Lou. Yeah it’s a different kind of racing, but I don’t see a whole new breed of rider forming just to kick ass at the Maxxis EnduroCross. Though our sources indicate the one-off event will likely be joined by another pair in 2007, it’s far-fetched to expect top racers to stop developing their desert, trials, enduro, hare/hound or whatever skills to focus on extreme stadium races. Europe has an indoor series but the men who contest it also compete in the World Enduro rounds as well. You’ve got to have a lot more infrastructure before another genre of racer comes to light.

As for your armchair evaluation of the proper machinery, I stick by my claim that a 450 is too much for the track. Yes, many riders did use the big-bore 4-stroke and some even had excellent results. Nathan Woods raced his KX450F to second place in the final, but consider for a moment that Woods is built like a pit bull and his Kawasaki was fitted with an automatic Rekluse clutch. For a mortal rider the burliness of this machine is amplified on a stadium enduro course. Considering Woods’ abilities and that Factory Team Green thought that it was a good way to go setup-wise, I’ll have to write off your concerns about flywheel and clutch modifications as misinformed mishmash. Speaking of tuning tips, I’m sure you know a thing or two about these two-wheeled gizmos but the recurring references to a mysterious, tricked-out CR500 and your steadfast belief that it stands on a pedestal of desire somewhere in the realm of ultimate off-road bikes have me wondering…

Also, I rode the 250R and 250X Christini AWD bikes around the pro track and can vouch for the effectiveness of a small-bore 4-stroke and its ability to deliver power – and mine had an additional 15 pounds on the forward half of the bike! Australian Ben Grabham missed the main by one position on his rear-wheel drive CRF250R. Seems fairly adequate to me.