Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Off Road > Weekly Bike Feature - This is how the Pros roll.  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Hilde44
MotoUSA - Dirt Guy

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2005
Total Posts : 469

Posted 1/10/2007 5:48 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Martin Davalos has already won the WSX season opener in Toronto, Canada on his KTM. We caught up with his mechanic in Anaheim for the AMA series launch and poked around a bit.

Post Edited (Hilde44) : 1/18/2007 8:08:51 PM GMT

Hilde44
MotoUSA - Dirt Guy

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2005

Posted 1/18/2007 1:07 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What do you guys think about this feature? I think it's pretty cool to get the scoop on pro bikes.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 1/18/2007 2:02 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The jury is still out, feature shows promise, gotta get more evidence on scoop poop, to make a verdict.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

bmadson
MCUSA Scribbler

Date Joined Jul 2005
Total Posts : 1039

Posted 1/18/2007 3:18 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
We should be getting more as the season goes on. I like em and think they're a good addition. If you want to know what's really going on you just gotta mill around with the guys that turn the wrenches, so it will be cool to see what else Bruhn can dig up for us here at MotoUSA.

Hilde44
MotoUSA - Dirt Guy

Date Joined Sep 2005

Posted 1/18/2007 3:22 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
TFS is putting the final touches on this week's feature with Chad Reed's new San Manuel/L&M Racing/Yamaha YZ450F. It should reach your screens in the next day or two.

Hilde44
MotoUSA - Dirt Guy

Date Joined Sep 2005

Posted 2/1/2007 6:48 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, it took a little longer than expected and then a road trip delayed this feature on Chad Reed's YZ450F even longer. Sorry for the wait, but Bruhn's inside look at the work of Paul DeLaurier is worth reeding.

Hilde44
MotoUSA - Dirt Guy

Date Joined Sep 2005

Posted 2/14/2007 10:08 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Check out this week's inside look at one of the Butler Brothers MX team riders. Shaun Skinner rides this CRF450R prepped by Paul Perebijnos.

sandshark
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2006
Total Posts : 110

Posted 2/15/2007 1:57 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
   A racebike doesn't get much more tricked out than the Butler Bros. CR450! I've never seen the Alpina wheels before, very cool, but I bet they're not cheap. Could someone explain the Devol holeshot device? I looked hard at the photo and I don't see it. Great article, keep 'em coming!

Hilde44
MotoUSA - Dirt Guy

Date Joined Sep 2005

Posted 2/15/2007 2:41 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sandshark,

If you look at the full-size image you will see a small, silver button on the fork guard. The rider depresses the fork until a notched ring mounted to the upper tube (the black thing) is below that spring-loaded button. Then the rider pushes the button and releases the pressure on the fork. The fork lifts up until a small post on the backside of that button hooks into the notch which keeps the forks partially depressed. This keeps the front end down and helps eliminate wheelying off the start gate. Once the rider hits the first bump on the racetrack and the forks depress again the spring-loaded post retracts and allows the suspension to fully rebound and work normally.

Here is the link to Devol's webpage. It's under development right now but check back to see exactly what I'm talking about. Until then, here is a link to the Works Connection version (which we'll be doing a product eval on soon). It's basically the same thing.

Hilde44
MotoUSA - Dirt Guy

Date Joined Sep 2005

Posted 2/15/2007 2:44 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey, if you think this stuff is cool already, just wait until we get behind RC's Suzuki next week!! We'll also be putting these together in an archive soon to help you find them all and compare. Enjoy.

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 7362

Posted 2/15/2007 3:59 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Keep up the good work, MCUSA. :-)

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost."

sandshark
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2006
Total Posts : 110

Posted 2/17/2007 3:03 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
   Thanks for info Hilde44. Neat!

Hilde44
MotoUSA - Dirt Guy

Date Joined Sep 2005

Posted 2/21/2007 2:47 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You think that's neat, check out Ricky Carmichael's machine. It isn't often that someone gets access to crawling around RC's machine with a camera in hand. MotoUSA watchdog correspondent, Bruhn, was all over this one.

Hilde44
MotoUSA - Dirt Guy

Date Joined Sep 2005

Posted 3/15/2007 4:30 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sean Collier may be down and out for awhile as his shoulder recouperates, but we made good use of his misfortune to pin down his machine for this week's Behind the Bike.

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004

Posted 3/16/2007 1:41 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It may take me awhile to get around to reading these articles, but they are certainly worth reading. Keep up the good work, guys. :-)

You might get more replies to these postings if you create a new thread rather than use this existing one. Just a thought.

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost."

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004

Posted 3/16/2007 1:44 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hilde44 said...
You think that's neat, check out Ricky Carmichael's machine. It isn't often that someone gets access to crawling around RC's machine with a camera in hand. MotoUSA watchdog correspondent, Bruhn, was all over this one.

His number one most important part being the front bike just proves I have plenty to learn (at least compared to this man-god). I wouldnt think a front bike would be THAT big of an issue.

Hilde44
MotoUSA - Dirt Guy

Date Joined Sep 2005

Posted 3/16/2007 8:28 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
We all have plenty to learn compared to Carmichael. Good descriptor, though. He is something of a man-god. Glad you like the articles. I think most people do but getting people to contribute in the Talk Back is tough. I might try your suggestion of starting new threads. Typically I like to combine them so that everyone can see ideas/topics bouncing around on related articles. Wouldn't hurt to do a little empirical study, that's for sure.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 3/16/2007 11:01 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kansas said...
Hilde44 said...

His number one most important part being the front bike just proves I have plenty to learn (at least compared to this man-god). I wouldnt think a front bike would be THAT big of an issue.

Not sure what you're saying there Kansas, could you elaborate/expand, a bit more? On the "I wouldn't think a front bike would be THAT big of an issue." part?

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004

Posted 3/16/2007 1:45 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, my type of off road riding consists of high speed, loose material riding mostly (as well as rolling hills and 4-5 foot drop offs) Just to give you an idea of what I ride/rode.

When I would ride off road I used the rear brake all the time. It was my life line for sliding around and slowing just enough to be in control of the next thing I wanted to do. I used my front brake, but no where near aggressively. It was typically used when I had to scrub off alot of speed. I would use my rear brake and "set" the bike in and use the front brake to slow myself quicker; and use the front brake abit more if I needed the nose of the bike to do something.

With that said, I don't know if I am/was babying the front brake or just not riding at the level that would require a better front brake, but there was only a few times I thought, "I could really use a little more brake sensitivity" so I could use less force on the lever, and just concentrate on what was ahead of me.

That's why I made the comment. Between RC wanting the best brake for his sponsor's money, and your question you both have my paranoid that I am really missing out on some fun, or I just made certain rides harder than they needed to be.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 3/16/2007 3:36 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OK that clears it up :-) You said front bike, not front brake, in that post.

I can't comment on RC's technique, I'd have to spend time with him to gain an understanding (which I don't have now).

In my Desert riding/racing situations, the front brake is used hard to (A) max bring the speed down, and if it was being brought down for a corner,(B) compressing the forks to a much steeper angle to make a tight turn. But that was a variable, tdurning on the front wheel or, turning on the back wheel with power spinning the bike around the tight corner.

RC says he could go faster if he had a stronger front brake, and no one in anything resembling a right mind would argue witdh RC.

I liked putting the focus on the rear wheel. Acceleration/turning/lofting the front wheel over things that would otherwise be impacted. And totally flying over as much as possible. It's a whole lot smoother in the air than it is on the ground. And any loose ground is firmer the faster you go. :-)

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004

Posted 3/16/2007 5:02 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
louemc said...
OK that clears it up :-) You said front bike, not front brake, in that post.

Oops! Long night blush

louemc said...
And any loose ground is firmer the faster you go. :-)

Yeah, I learned that along time ago. I like smooth. The funny part is people who don't understand off road riding on a motorcycle; they think your nuts for going that fast lol

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 3/16/2007 5:23 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
In a round-a-bout way, I had the same feeling (about the "nuts" thing). I accidently got into Desert racing, by meeting the #2 guy in the State of Oregon, while skiing at Mt Bachelor (just outside of Bend Oregon), we were both between jobs, and while it's skiing on the mountain it's prime slightly moist desert down at the elevation of the City of Bend. He invited me to his place, and re-visiting with my new XR-500,( he was sponsored by Husqvarna) we play rode his favorite rides for a few months. One day he said "You would be in the top 5 in your class, you have to enter the next race". Going out to where the race was to start, was the first time I had seen anyone fly like these guys were doing, to warm up before the start.

There was no doubt in my mind, I'd be in their way, and they couldn't possibly do anything but hit me, They looked like they were totally out of control, I just knew someone was going to kill me before the day was over. Really, I expected to die that day.