Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Off Road > 2008 Yamahas - First Look  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Hilde44
MotoUSA - Dirt Guy

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2005
Total Posts : 469

Posted 6/18/2007 10:58 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yamaha has released info on the 2008 lineup of Blue bikes. Check them out.

DR-ZKing
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2007
Total Posts : 199

Posted 6/20/2007 9:08 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Huh, I wonder what’s taking Suzuki so long to release there info...

Moto-Pat
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2005
Total Posts : 1181

Posted 9/11/2007 11:31 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I just don't get a 35" seat height on a street bike. Same for all these so called adventure bikes that in no way set up to do off roading. Bet you guessed I'm short.

nochrome
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2004
Total Posts : 36

Posted 9/11/2007 2:17 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
These are pretty firgen awesome, IMO. Great entry bike, awesome supermoto. I'd like to see the power numbers and have a test ride before I lay down $6000 on a 250, though. Wish they had more range.

As for Suzuki, who knows? Either their going to blow us away or they've already shown us all they're doing this year (B-King, another enormous cruiser, reskinned Bandit...). I've given up hope so my guess is the latter...new colors, same old lineup, maybe they add ABS to the GS500 this year, answering a questions nobody asked. My roadbike bucks are going to Italy and my dirt bucks to Austria.

As for seat height, alas, not usually an issue so much for me, but I hear you when I have to toe-step these duallies.

Post Edited (nochrome) : 9/11/2007 9:24:11 PM GMT

Hilde44
MotoUSA - Dirt Guy

Date Joined Sep 2005

Posted 9/12/2007 9:43 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Maybe we can help you a little DR-ZKing. What type of info are you looking for exactly? I think the men in yellow have revealed almost everything they are going to for 2008 model year. Here's the off-road stuff, and here's the 'Busa/B-King and the new cruisers and GSX650F.

I believe the only thing missing are the mega-popular GSX-R machines. We're starting to get into the thick of sportbike action so watch our digital pages in the coming weeks for news on the 2008 GSX-R600 and 1K.

Randth
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 2

Posted 9/13/2007 9:25 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The wrx sounds pretty tyt.  A 250 into the supermoto sphere is a good step.  Im wonder about its weight, seems heavy.

Hilde44
MotoUSA - Dirt Guy

Date Joined Sep 2005

Posted 9/14/2007 8:40 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Seems a bit porky to me too, but we'll get a better feel for it as soon as the press introduction rolls around.

mauiheadhunter
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 4

Posted 9/18/2007 7:17 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think its great that the manufacturers are making more street legal dual sports and that they are selling more dirt oreintated models.  I am hoping and praying that yamaha, suzuki and kawasaki come out with legal versions of their 450s soon.  I'm ready to trade in my DR650 for something lighter.  I would get the KTM, but I've been riding suzuks for 20 years.

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
IMAGE_105.jpg
  268KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 188 time(s).

toddo
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2007
Total Posts : 5

Posted 9/20/2007 3:20 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well I for one hate tall ds bikes. I'm 5'8 & 165. Anything over 34" is out for me. I look like a retard at stops with a hey I'm riding my dads bike pose. Kids on the school bus would love to see that. I know there trying to get more suspension travel, but guys like me who weight less dont always need the extra inches. Some people like a ds that is a dirt bike with a tag. I like the xt size bike. I just wish it had the wr motor. I think fuel injection is the best thing since sliced bread. Manufacturers wonder why there ds bikes sit at the dealer for 2 or 3 yrs before they give them away, its because they intimidate the average rider under 5'10 & bore the experienced rider with 225 or 250 cc's. I feel better now (almost).roll

Think before talking

mauiheadhunter
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 4

Posted 9/21/2007 8:30 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If the ds bikes are to tall for you, some of the suzuks have the ability to lower thier suspension (my 650 can go down to somenthing like 33 inches).  I like the taller bike for going through the deeper ruts and squeeking between rocks, but an xt with some mods would work well.  My bud and I just modified his klx to give it some gitupandgo.  There are options out there, but unfortunately its near impossible to find something perfect since all ds riders have such different riding styles and venues.  So, I guess its modify, modify, modify!  The only limit is your budget and time.  Oh, and where I live, ds bikes are the bikes of choice so it sucks trying to find a deal since the demand is so high.  Send me some of those cheap bikes!

toddo
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2007
Total Posts : 5

Posted 9/22/2007 4:46 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Its funny you mention the ds 650. I love that bike. I just wanted something a little lighter. I appreciate your reply. Everytime I talk bikes to my wife & brother the words "I will have to lower just about any bike I get" come out of my mouth. I used to have old yamaha enduros. Thats right, they used to be called that before they decided to start calling them dual sports. The yamahas were no more than 32" seat height & poor suspension. I rode those things all over the place. I think the new xt is a real nice looking bike. I would get board with it. Its like a moped. I'm sure I'll be lowering what ever I get. Like you said, mod, mod, mod. Good day.

Think before talking

D-RI96
WR250R

Date Joined Apr 2008
Total Posts : 15

Posted 4/18/2008 9:38 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Most all of the dual sports have height adjustments on the suspension. The KLX250s is probably the lowest seat height (I think it was 34")and you can also adjust it down.....according to the kawasaki dealer.

My WR250R aslo sits high (36") but can be adjusted lower......the WR250X is lower than the WR250R but I dont know the specific height.

This world is either too crazy for me or I am too normal for it!

Hilde44
MotoUSA - Dirt Guy

Date Joined Sep 2005

Posted 4/18/2008 3:19 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Good news, crew. Ken is on assignment right now testing the new KLX250S so we'll have the answers for any questions - and we'll figure out the seat height once and for all   smilewinkgrin   Stay tuned...