Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Off Road > 2008 BMW F800GS Revealed at Milan  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
32 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

bmadson
MCUSA Scribbler

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2005
Total Posts : 1039

Posted 11/6/2007 4:14 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
BMW debuts an all-new addition to the popular GS motorcycle lineup, a smaller off-road capable mount utlizing its 800 Parallel Twin - the F800GS. Check out MotorcycleUSA's 2008 BMW F800GS Revealed at Milan article.

Holmes
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2005
Total Posts : 495

Posted 11/6/2007 6:58 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This is definitely a bike I'll take for a test ride when they finally hit the dealers. Of course it'll be twice as much $$ as a KLR650 or V-Strom 650... 

2006 Kawasaki Z750S
2006 Suzuki V-Strom 650
1976 Yamaha XS650
1973 Honda CB750

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 11/6/2007 8:02 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sounds like the perfect dp bike to me. Has what is lacking in bikes like the KLR - power and FI, but does not have what makes the R12GS and KTM990 awkward - size/bulk and price.
Me likey long time

Børk! Børk! Børk!

morganw
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2005
Total Posts : 29

Posted 11/10/2007 11:45 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This is a seriously cool bike. It's only in the GS series that BMW's weird and ugly styling makes sense. I want one. One question though..... Apart European learners buying the the 34PS version (imagine what a dog that is!) who will buy the new F"650"GS. Check out the specs...it's a detuned single front disc 800.....Why????

morganw
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2005
Total Posts : 29

Posted 11/10/2007 7:17 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
PS. My one has to be a yellow and black one. That colour scheme makes it look like a piece of earth-moving equipment. I like that!

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 11/12/2007 10:14 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Very cool bike...almost as cool as the F800 based flat tracker in the latest Cycle World.

I love everything about my F800ST but the ABS and this bike, unlike the ST, allows you to turn the ABS off!

Plus, I understand, the ABS has been "upgraded" already for the GS...as it is quite suspect on my ST.

Buy one, Desmo...you know you want to.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 11/12/2007 12:22 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
GAJ, right now there are 3 bikes in my garage and literally no room for anything else!
One will have to go, maybe the g/f's... (don't tell her I said that!)

Børk! Børk! Børk!

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007

Posted 11/12/2007 1:38 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Come on Desmo, if I can fit 4 bikes in a California one car garage so can you.

Hang the things you don't use, like bicycles, from the ceiling trusses...the spiders will thank you.

Don't tell me they're all 3 Ducs??

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 11/12/2007 2:43 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
2 Ducs, one Kawi Ninja EX500. If I didn't need the top 1/3 for tool storage, I could fit in 4 bikes, but i need my tools. And camping equipment. And....
The bicycles are used every day. Me and my sweetie like to cycle down by the beach after dinner so hanging them would not work either.
Funny thing is right now I'm looking at completely different types of motobikes to complement what I have. A BMW F800gs, or a Yam Raider ( I was really impressed by the one I checked out in the shop - I'll try to get a test ride at the bike show), or a Harley Sportster 1200R , or a Harley Street Glide!

Børk! Børk! Børk!

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007

Posted 11/13/2007 10:39 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've always kinda liked the lines on the Sporty's myself.

Variety is definitely a good thing.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 11/14/2007 10:54 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think I'm gonna try to rent one this weekend. I've ridden the 'big twins' so it would be interesting to see how the rubber mounted 1200 works. I kinda have this thing for nimble bikes, and the other Harleys don't have that.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Ace!
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2004
Total Posts : 159

Posted 11/20/2007 12:49 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If I had the money I'd buy two of 'em.

Procyon
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2007
Total Posts : 11

Posted 11/20/2007 5:40 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I saw the F800Gs at the IMS in SF last Sunday. It's one of the bikes that I wanted to look at and one of the reasons why I went to the show. I really like the idea of a lighter more nimble BMW GS. The bigger R1200 GS's are way too big and ungainly for my intended purposes. What really disappointed me about the F800GS is the wheels. They're standard laced rims which means they require tubes. What the hell was BMW thinking?! They hold the patent for tubeless laced rims. Why they didn't use them on this model is a mystery to me. Are they/will they be options in 2008? Anyone know?

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 11/21/2007 1:01 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The F800Gs is seen as far more off road worthy than the 1200GS which is why it has tubes. Bikes that are meant to go off road often dent their rims. Having a tube in the tyre will prevent an instant complete loss of air due to a dented rim as the tube holds the air. That is why all serious off road bikes whether they are MX bikes, trail bikes down to KTM dual sports like the 990 Adventure all use tubes.
On road, a tubeless design is much better as there is far less chance of bending a rim, but more of getting a regular flat. There tubeless is better as a flat will normally be a slow leak and can be easily plugged.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 11/21/2007 1:43 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Actually you have a good point Procyon. But, no need to worry, even though the major reason for tire failure off road is pinched tubes when the rim gets such a blow to bend it, Off roaders have been dealing with this (and way out from help) for ever, so..... it ends up you have to best suit your own needs, either way.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 11/21/2007 3:11 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thing is, that tube can be repaired in field and you can then carry on (albeit wobbly) with the bent rim. With a tubeless spoked rim, stick a fork in ya, yer done if you bend the rim!
Unless, of course, you carry a tube. Hey, dats da solution! Tubeless spoked rims with a spare tube on the bike just in case!

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 7362

Posted 11/22/2007 6:23 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Any word on what the MSRP is on this 800?

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost."

Holmes
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2005
Total Posts : 495

Posted 11/23/2007 8:31 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Tros said...
Any word on what the MSRP is on this 800?

I believe the word on the street is that the 800GS will be roughly the same as the current 800ST (so at least 10k for a base model). Expensive, but given the lack of real competition (it'll be more or less in a class of one given it's power, weight, features, etc) I think it might be worth the asking price.

Also, it looks like they will be releasing a stripped-down 800GS variant called (oddly enough) the F650GS (to replace the current 650GS). It will feature the same 800cc engine, de-tuned to make around 70hp and will use solid tubless rims and lower-spec components. Basically a more road-oriented bike to compete with the likes of the V-Strom 650, Versys, etc. See http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/index.html. If they price it the same as the current 650GS single I think it could be a viable alternative to the V-Strom, etc.

2006 Kawasaki Z750S
2006 Suzuki V-Strom 650
1976 Yamaha XS650
1973 Honda CB750

Procyon
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2007
Total Posts : 11

Posted 11/23/2007 10:19 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks to all who commented on the GS's lack of tubless rims. I've experienced my fair share of flat tires and bent rims on dirt bikes and road bikes. Carrying extra tubes, patch kits and an air source are always troubling. Fixing a flat tire (especially a rear) is always a challenge. Given a choice, I'd opt for tubless rims and take my chances. Plugging a tubless tire is a snap when compared to breaking down a tubed tire unless you're some kind of ISDE 6 Days ironman. Are you listening BMW? Not offering tubless rims/tires on the new F800GS is a deal breaker for me.

Ace!
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2004
Total Posts : 159

Posted 1/18/2008 10:57 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm sure someone working at the local BMW dealership can be slightly more specific, but it appears the price will be 11k - 13k, give or take a few hundred and dependant on options. Also, in So Oregon it appears they are all pre-sold and going through the local dealer means you'll be buying a bike sometime the first or second quarter of 2009. My understanding the bikes sold in 2008 will be 2009 models, but again, those have already been pre-sold so you'll have to get in on a second or third run of them sometime in 2009.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 1/18/2008 11:22 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Delivery date has been moved back from March to September/October.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

jeremyb
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 8

Posted 1/23/2008 8:31 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I just love the look of this bike. The wife calls it the bumble bee bike (WOMEN!)
Anyway I'd love a go on this offroad but I doubt I will have that pleasure.
Like another poster I too think that the lack of tubeless rims/tyres is a large negative for me.

Buell XB Parts Buell Motorcycle Forums

Keep Ridin'
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 2

Posted 1/24/2008 12:38 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Great lookin' bike! I like the '08 line that BMW has, especially their adventure touring bikes. Saw it at the Cycle World IMS show. The new Buell Ulysses XB12XT looks pretty radcial as well. Buell just announced the release this week, so I think I'll head to the Chicago show to see it in person. I'd be happy with either!

jamesdemien
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 2

Posted 1/25/2008 10:36 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This thing is going to be cool. It's basically a more powerful, better looking f650

aogop
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 252

Posted 1/25/2008 1:32 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Really neat bike, but I think I will wait on trading in my V-strom till after the bugs are worked out of it and Touratech has aftermarket parts for it lol.

'06 DL1000