Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Off Road > **WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF YOU TRIED TO KICK START A DIRT BIKE WITH THE KILL SWITCH ON???***  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

cpt. jack
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2008
Total Posts : 11

Posted 8/15/2008 4:58 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I TRIED TO START MY BIKE, AND IT WASN'T WORKING, I TRIED EVEN MORE AND IT JUST WASN'T GETTIN' A SPARK, THEN I REALIZED THE KILL SWITCH WAS ON, I KNOW PRETTY DUMB OF ME, SO THEN, WHEN I TURNED IT OFF IT FINALLY STARTED. CAN THIS RUIN A DIRT BIKE, TRYING TO START IT WHILE UR KILLSWITCH IS ON??? LET ME KNOW ASAP

THANKS

norton
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2006
Total Posts : 552

Posted 8/15/2008 5:15 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You didn't hurt it.

madfun said...

Sooner or later opinions fade, and the name on the tank matters not. I think that happens somewhere between 4th and 5th gear. Enjoy the ride... the rest takes care of itself.

ChrisVTX1300S
2003 VTX1300S

Date Joined May 2008
Total Posts : 534

Posted 8/16/2008 2:36 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
all a kill switch does is disable the spark, thus causing the engine to die. About the only thing you did was wear out your right leg and possibly flood the carb. No real damage.

03 VTX1300S - Orange, V&H Big Shots, Darkside, Brake Away Cruise, Kuryakyn Cruise Pegs, ISO Grips, Magnum Mirrors, Light Bar
Need Amsoil/Twin Air/NGK products? Get them here.
http://www.cmphotoworks.com

jorjor35
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2011
Total Posts : 1

Posted 5/21/2011 12:02 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
PLEASE HELP QUICKLY!:

This same thing happend to me, except I tried to kick start it too many times, now it wont start, even with the kill switch off. i dont think its flooded because I left it over night, and it still is not working. It was low on gas, so I refilled it, it is still not working. Please Reply Quickly, I need this as Fast as Possible!

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 5/21/2011 12:30 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jorjor35 said...
PLEASE HELP QUICKLY!:
Please think about what you are asking.
THIS kind of forum is NOT the best way to get quick...or reliable...help with a problem.
This message saying that is about the only quick help that you will get.

You need some onsite help to take you through the basic proceedures for determining spark and fuel when things won't start.  Have you had the plug out ??  A new plug is almost always a good idea when a single cylinder machine won't start.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 6/14/2011 6:13 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Remember a lot of riders of basically all forms of bikes made in JPN, & they uese the KILL SWITCH to turn OFF the bike  rather then the ignition key switch. Even in my own case I will have accidently hit the kill switch & then sort of panic as the bike will NOT start.

Yes it has me looking around as to WHY the bike will not start like it has in perfection for the last few weeks-----true panic situation & then finding out my error telling me I was stupid.  For so often I was something like 5+ hrs from my home, not in a city, but up in the mountain roads-----so true panic time.

So if it is not a kill switch problem & you have been trying to kick the bike into action TRY a new sparkplug for in the late 40s with British irons so many of us carried spare NEW sparkplugs & quite often one would see the sparkplug spanner was showing at the top of his left or right boot.  So SPARK plugs are a must.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 6/15/2011 1:17:08 AM GMT

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 6/14/2011 11:01 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Lemme clear this up, the "KILL" switch is actually the ENGINE RUN switch, which must be ON for the engine to run. The symbol on the switch indicates a "running arrow in a circle shape" for when the switch is activated. So what you refer to as the kill switch, was in the OFF position when you were kick starting the bike and had no spark. With the engine run switch in the ON position the engine will have spark and should start within three kicks if the fuel valve is on and if you're kicking process is correct.

You cannot hurt the engine by kick-starting all you want with the engine run switch in the off position.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org