Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Off Road > rebuilding a dirtbike  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

honda123
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2011
Total Posts : 1

Posted 5/22/2011 3:45 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have a 2003 honda xr100r. I am looking to rebuild the engine and carb.. I would like some help and directions so i don't screw it up.
honda123

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 5/22/2011 5:30 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Buy a manual,follow what it says to do. use the proper tools for each nut and bolt,dont over tighten. if it doesnt work from there,then you need help. Right now,you need a manual.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
empty slot needing to be filled miss the "wing"
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 5/22/2011 5:33 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
honda123 said...
I have a 2003 honda xr100r. I am looking to rebuild the engine and carb.. 
Why ?

The easiest way to screw something up is to try to "fix" it when it ain't broke. 

nono 

Richard47
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 5552

Posted 5/24/2011 1:46 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What elSid says. Get yourself a manual, you can always sell it on eBay when you get rid of the bike, although I nearly always keep mine.

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

sockjohn
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2006
Total Posts : 588

Posted 5/24/2011 8:01 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Easy Rider 2 said...
honda123 said...

I have a 2003 honda xr100r. I am looking to rebuild the engine and carb.. Why ?

The easiest way to screw something up is to try to "fix" it when it ain't broke.

nono

Checking compression makes sense before tearing down the motor. Easy and cheap to do. Even if it does need work, the compression check can often detect issues between bottom end and top end that you won't necessarily see once the motor is apart.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 5/25/2011 5:09 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The days of perking up a power-plant go back to the late 40s or early 50s basically on British irons.  We did it all the time, but to perk up a power plant like the one you mentioned is sort of a waste of time.

If you had the knowledge, the tools & time you could perk it up a bit, but nothing outstanding for I must admit that the JPN m/c makers built them better then the British did when in England.

If you pull one apart you will be amazed to find small ends are with needle bearings, & where the British used bushings the JPN makers used proper bearings.  So really all you are looking at is to replace the stock piston & rings for one bbl that has been honed out at a cost & some work on removing all the crap in the carb, to lighten things like sprockets, but remember lst you will probably have to replace the NEW chain with NEW sprockets.  Little things that will not give the bike a maze of extra power.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.