Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Off Road > Finally got a real dirt bike!  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 9/16/2011 6:33 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I recently added bike number seven to its stablemates, I just bought a used 2004 Suzuki DRZ400E, the trail/off-road model of the very good DRZ400. In the past I dabbled in dirt riding on a stripped down kick-start only 83 Honda XL600. Being I'm 53 years old and 5'-6" the old Honda could be a heavy challenge at times in the tight trails, but I did ok and started to ride better with each outing. But yet, kick-starting that beast out in the woods could be a real challenge. So I gave in to the "button", electric starting on the DRZ400E, though I do wish it also had the option of a kick-start for those days when the battery may have a challenge.

I am doing some mods and updates getting ready for an October off-road ride. I'll make a tail rack for my tool bag, new tires I already bought, a digital speedo/hour meter, 2" lowering links, tail/brake light kit, so I can at least title/register/license the bike for use on the logging/forest roads here in Wisconsin. Off road bikes in Wisconsin can only legally use those roads and off-road trails if the bike is registered and licensed.

But at least now I have a dirt-bike with modern technology on it! Now the XL600 will be converted to a retro-motard city bike with 17" sport bike tires for cornering fun! Gad's, I'm 53 and still not growing up!! HA!

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

GAJ
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 9/16/2011 11:43 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Be sure to keep that DRZ on a Battery Tender; the battery is tiny.

Enjoy.

Pictures of the stable?

Selling my one owner '97 TL1000S: www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372346

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 9/16/2011 1:24 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Andy VH said...
I recently added bike number seven to its stablemates, I just bought a used 2004 Suzuki DRZ400E, the trail/off-road model of the very good DRZ400. In the past I dabbled in dirt riding on a stripped down kick-start only 83 Honda XL600. Being I'm 53 years old and 5'-6" the old Honda could be a heavy challenge at times in the tight trails, but I did ok and started to ride better with each outing. But yet, kick-starting that beast out in the woods could be a real challenge. So I gave in to the "button", electric starting on the DRZ400E, though I do wish it also had the option of a kick-start for those days when the battery may have a challenge.

I am doing some mods and updates getting ready for an October off-road ride. I'll make a tail rack for my tool bag, new tires I already bought, a digital speedo/hour meter, 2" lowering links, tail/brake light kit, so I can at least title/register/license the bike for use on the logging/forest roads here in Wisconsin. Off road bikes in Wisconsin can only legally use those roads and off-road trails if the bike is registered and licensed.

But at least now I have a dirt-bike with modern technology on it! Now the XL600 will be converted to a retro-motard city bike with 17" sport bike tires for cornering fun! Gad's, I'm 53 and still not growing up!! HA!

Sounds very right, Andy

You should be Giddy with these choices.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Andy VH

Date Joined Apr 2005

Posted 9/19/2011 10:23 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Got the lowering links installed today, and the difference is great to allow me to at least sit comfortably on the bike with the balls of both boots on the ground, good enough for me. Next is fresh knobbies front and rear, the digital speedo/trip meter/hour meter and may be fab up a tail rack for my trail pack over the rear fender.

My dirt ride is coming up Oct 16th so I hope to get some trail time on the DRZ before that.

Andy VH

Date Joined Apr 2005

Posted 9/22/2011 10:14 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I found a nice "tail bag" at Wally Mart for just $10. Its actually a black travel bag for toiletries, but the shape and size are just right rfor a tail bag. I mounted it directly to the rear fender using a 1/8 aluminum plate inside the bag, formed to fit the fender curve. It will easily hold trail tools, tire patch kit, gloves, rags, water bottle, beef jerky sticks, etc.

I installed a digital speedo/hourmeter/temperature gauge/odometer that I found on ebay for $90. Made a mount bracket to position it just ahead of the handlebar crossbar pad.

I installed an on/off switch for the headlight so I can turn the headlight off for starting the bike, especially since the battery isn't very big. In back I installed a combo tail/brake/license/bracket light, now I need to install a banjo bolt with the integral brake switch to control the brake light function.

Couldn't resist to drill out the restrictive outlet tip (not the internal baffle) to get a wee bit more sound. Finally I'll mount the new tires and I'm ready for the dirt! Oh, I'm also buying a chest protector and other off-road riding gear. Since I now have a more capable bike I may be riding a bit more enthusiastically, and the last thing I need is a chest injury or broken collarbone.

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 9/23/2011 5:48 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just a question,does it have handguards? If not I would get them. They tend to save levers, hands etc. in an off. Good ones not those stupid plastic monkey ear lookin deals. Something with metal,sure you know....  

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
track hack? 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc? who knows,cant decide....
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

Andy VH

Date Joined Apr 2005

Posted 9/27/2011 9:36 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yeah, my DRZ came with bark-busters, that look like they have seem some work on the trails. If it didn't I would add them for sure. In the past on my Honda XL600 I got in some tight trails where a small tree whacked the front brake lever and damn near put me down.

I should have the fresh tires mounted this week. I may up the pilot jet from a 45 to 48 to clear up a slight throttle lag off the bottom end when putting around the yard in 1st gear. Since it has a low restriction air filter in the airbox I may also raise the needle a notch for the mid-trange.

I'll post a few pics of my simple mods. The tail bag is a hint I found on 4Strokes.com. It's readily available at WallyMart and is plenty big enough for a tool wrap, some small parts, plugs, chain lube, snacks, water, even a t-shirt. For $10 ist a great deal, and doesn't look like a toiletries bag at all.

Post Edited (Andy VH) : 9/27/2011 5:04:59 PM GMT

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
drz400 001.jpg
  103KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 1989 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
drz400 002.jpg
  93KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 2240 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
drz400 004.jpg
  70KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 1887 time(s).

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 9/27/2011 1:16 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Nice; enjoy.

What's with the numbers? Was it raced??

Big ass moto plates you all have up there!

Selling my one owner '97 TL1000S: www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372346

el SID

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 9/27/2011 1:26 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Your ability to move into the future is what really impresses me lol. 1/24/12, whats the winning lotto ticket numbers for the rest of the year andy.....
Nice ride,big ass plates is an understatement,do you even get muddy with that flap on there.

current hacks
1996 honda vfr
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

Andy VH

Date Joined Apr 2005

Posted 9/27/2011 1:44 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yeah, yeah, I know, my new camera somehow ended up a "bit in the future" date wise and I haven't changed it yet.

The bike was not raced that I know of, just recreational trail riding. So I'm not sure why the numbers are on the front, perhaps the previous owner did some hare-scramble events. I'll probably take the numbers off since I don't need to give anyone the impression that I am adept enough or fast enough in the dirt to race, because that is the farthest from the truth.

I'm also not one to put stickers all over my bike trying to make it look like some sort of a factory race bike. Just out to enjoy some dirt, learn to slide a bike, learn to wheelie (at 53, never learned to wheelie), maybe learn to do some basic jumps, nothing much, but more than I do now.

el SID

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 9/27/2011 11:02 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Maybe a set of freshly screwed ice tires? Its a real hoot. Actually the old xl would be fun for that too. ice racings kinda big here in michigan,Id imagine theres chuckle heads in wisconsin trying to geta fix as well....

current hacks
1996 honda vfr
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

Andy VH

Date Joined Apr 2005

Posted 9/28/2011 8:01 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Got that done already, here are pics of my flat-track styled ice bike.

Yeah, when things freeze up here in Wisconsin you gotta either find ways to play on it or stay on the house.

My ice bike is an old Suzuki GN400 single, stripped down to the minimum, so all the street stuffs have been taken off or cut off, literally. Full Kenda knobby/lined/ice screw tires front and rear. Engine is pretty much stock, though I jetted up the carb for the cold and no air filter. The Supertrapp I bought on ebay for $20 and its a perfect fit with a home made mount bracket I made. I may try a larger carb to go with the better breathing exhaust and get a bit more juice out of the engine.

But the GN400 has pretty big valves for a 2-valve engine, so it is real torquey, can pull out of the slides nice and easy like a flat-tracker. Has a fair amount of flywheel weight which slows the engine revving up real quick but it does steady out the power to the rear wheel. BUNCH of fun on the ice though!

Post Edited (Andy VH) : 9/28/2011 3:07:15 PM GMT

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Iceday 002.jpg
  158KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 501 time(s).

Andy VH

Date Joined Apr 2005

Posted 11/1/2011 10:56 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I rode my "new to me" DRZ400E in the annual Field and Forest Ride back on Oct16th. Had a great time! I have to say, for a bigger 4-stroke trail bike, this DRZ is really fun to ride and easy handling, great steering, went right where I pointed it, GREAT ride. Quite often I was blasting across a recently plowed field and was surprised my butt wasn't getting beat up! Really nice stock suspension on the E model. Good torque for the hills and light on the front end so it didn't dig into the loose stuff. I rode in some real deep loamy dirt ane the bike seemed to float over it with good accuracy yet.

Now I need to get more seat and peg time (standing) on the dirt to really enjoy it.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 11/2/2011 11:21 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sweet...And that exposure (can't call it seat time, when up on the pegs) will verify and build confidence that translates to higher speed which brings the magic of the faster you go, the better the bike works.

This is going to be revolutionary...looking foreward to hearing about it :-)

PS...Most likely, your legs need conditioning...Squat jumps at home, as a muscle conditoner/ regular exercise..will pay off big time.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Post Edited (louemc) : 11/2/2011 6:26:20 PM GMT

el SID

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 11/2/2011 12:10 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Removal of the seat always does wonders to keep ones arse in the air as well,Andy. try it,good quick lesson. lol. Sounds like a fun little bike.

current hacks
1996 honda vfr
 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc on order baby.... march 2012
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125