Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Sportbike > 2008 Suzuki Hayabusa and B-King - First Look  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
57 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

louemc
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 7/5/2007 3:49 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
BTTWPATTBTTWPATT Balls to The Wall Power All The Time Beats The Tiny Wimpy People All The Time lol When I doubt, Gas it ;-)

Focus the forces, Be The Force

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 17674

Posted 7/5/2007 4:03 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Did I hear someone say "Naked Hayabusa"???

<drool>

"When in doubt, ride."
Cadd................................Clovis CA
2004 Nomad 1500............"Baggins"
VROC #11619 Rolling Blunder #128

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 17674

Posted 7/5/2007 4:24 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
URK! OK, I saw it.

Not nearly naked enough if you ask me. What the devil are those lights on the tank? :p

"When in doubt, ride."
Cadd................................Clovis CA
2004 Nomad 1500............"Baggins"
VROC #11619 Rolling Blunder #128

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 7/5/2007 4:32 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
URK is right, First someone said Naked Busa, but it was a someone that doesn't know Haya. This turns out to be a good thing though, get a Busa with rashed body, Make your own Naked Busa, with real Busa power, real Busa frame, real Busa suspension, Real Busa. Let the twits that just buy a look (even if the looks are weird) pay B-King Price for down graded everything.

merlot
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2007
Total Posts : 6

Posted 7/6/2007 7:27 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
flickmeister said...
Nice try lou, but nix, nix. "Balls To The Wall Power".....hey, it's the American way, 10-4? Upon further thought, it should have been BTTWPATT--"Balls To The Wall Power All The Time."

Actually, there a few of us that look for other qualities in a bike (or car) other than raw power. I tend to think those love big power don't know how to properly turn a bike (or turn a steering wheel). ;-)

flickmeister
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2004
Total Posts : 1021

Posted 7/6/2007 8:49 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

merlot,

I think that may be true in a lot of cases, especially with the younger riders. In my case, I've been riding (mostly sportbikes) for 44+ years, including several of roadracing and 3 state championships aboard an '86 GSXR750, a couple of dragracing, and eight years as a MSF instructor. I have also been to three Keith Code schools, two of Reg Pridmore's, and one of John Ulrich's. I also taught the new rider's school for my racing organization. Soooo.....I can flick the bitch and pretty much back up anything I say. As far as going fast goes, knowing how to go fast is absolutely necessary aboard any high powered sportbike. The real key to maturity is also having the knowledge of when to go fast. The reason I bought the literbike, and all it's insane power, is because I'm getting lazy and don't feel like doing that high RPM left foot tap dance lesser machines demand. Even when playing at my upper spectrum of street riding (in my case, still somewhat sane with an appropriate amount of reserve talent left just in case), I almost never use more than 2/3s throttle or go over 10,000 RPM. Usually significantly less than that simply because quick, smooth, controlled riding doesn't require any more. The bike has a 13,500 redline and it's Jekyll & Hyde pedigree really flaunts itself with that last 1/8th turn of the throttle. Great fun when the conditions make it possible.

Samurai
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2005
Total Posts : 4

Posted 8/14/2007 6:40 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I still have my Copper/Sliver Busa although it's looking pretty worn now the engine, mechanicals and frame are all still top notch. I'm not sure I can get the paint color matched right so I've left all the rashes and rock chips in place.

I'd considered trading it in for the M109 when it first came out but the initial production runs can be a little shady so I waited, I ended up convincing myself that even if I had to make more payments no-one could really offer me what the Busa is worth to me.

I love the idea of a B-King but with no boost it won't match the V-max dreams of my youth, I can hardly imagine something going faster than a Busa though, I barely use the top-part of that engine already.

If I was a smaller dude, I'd have a Gixxer thou, or even a 750.  The Busa is for us fat old men to feel like we are 20 again.  I guess it makes the 20 somethings feel invincible.

636ADAM
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 2110

Posted 8/14/2007 7:19 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Seriously. Flick, u da man!

Don't look at me!
Adam

EdbearNZ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 1190

Posted 8/14/2007 12:40 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
flickmeister said...

The reason I bought the literbike, and all it's insane power, is because I'm getting lazy and don't feel like doing that high RPM left foot tap dance lesser machines demand. .... Great fun when the conditions make it possible.

Das' funny, I bought the C50T for the same reason...;-)

They say you're only young once! I'm trying to make it last...

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 8/15/2007 6:14 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Samurai said...
The Busa is for us fat old men to feel like we are 20 again. 
agree, in terms of sportbike comfort, the busa offers the best for me too due to it's deminsions i.e., longer wheelbase, fairing, seat, etc.  i had a 99' silver/copper also...great bike but like women, it was time to move on and try something different. 

i've tested several liters and 600 but it just doesn't compare in terms of comfort.  most people when would agree that super sport liter and 600 bikes are not comfortable.  however, Red Dog rides a gixx 1000 and he's able to tour on it so no doubt there are exceptions to the rule.  i do find that out of all the liter bikes, the gixx 1000 offers the most comfort. 

i've been waiting for the b-king since it's concept days in 2001.  now, i just have to see it in the flesh and sit on it to see if it's worth the price tag.  if not then, the new vmax, concours 1400 and perhaps the new busa might be my next bike.

flickmeister
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2004
Total Posts : 1021

Posted 8/15/2007 9:27 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

jon,

What I can't understand is how in heavens name the B-King has a higher MSRP than the HappyBus, and it weighs 35 lbs. more. Methinks something is amiss here. Maybe 'Zuk is banking on a new cult bike that people are willing to pay more even if it offers less performance. I can't picture any bike currently available beating out the 'Busa as a cult bike (and a damn fine one at that), truly one of the great icons in all of motorcycling.

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 8/15/2007 11:17 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

i think the higher pricing is due to the b-king being a brand new bike based on a concept that alot of people raved about back in 2001.  i also think zook is testing the water at this point.  if i get it after i see it in person, i hope it's not a hot seller so i can a bigger discount.  this is the only un-faired bike that cost more than it's faired brother as far as i know.  the new vmax is also on my list and i'm sure it'll be in the 13-14k range in terms of msrp.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 8/18/2007 12:26 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Brother? Where does Brother come in? Unless in the sense of "RainMan" brothers.

masbuell
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 389

Posted 9/3/2007 12:26 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Let's see if I have this straight... The BK is cool looking, as is the V-Max but yet the Buell 1125R is FUGLY! Is that what I gather from many of the posts here? To each his/her own but what gives? I like the BK and the 1125R better than the V-Max but think they are all kinda cool. I even like the Eye-abuser and the Kawi ZX14. Just wondering if there is a bias against Buell for some reason?

If you ever, don't never, unless you will.

Chaos
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2007
Total Posts : 1030

Posted 9/5/2007 2:28 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
South Africa is also horse power crazy! Alot of people here consider a CBR600RR a good first bike. (Older models)

Smax
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 2871

Posted 9/10/2007 10:38 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
masbuell said...
Let's see if I have this straight... The BK is cool looking, as is the V-Max but yet the Buell 1125R is FUGLY! Is that what I gather from many of the posts here? To each his/her own but what gives? I like the BK and the 1125R better than the V-Max but think they are all kinda cool. I even like the Eye-abuser and the Kawi ZX14. Just wondering if there is a bias against Buell for some reason?

Yes. I think it hinges on that old "Harley=sportbike thing"...

Scoot-jockey. gsx-r 1100

masbuell
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2005

Posted 9/11/2007 8:34 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Smax said...
masbuell said...

Yes. I think it hinges on that old "Harley=sportbike thing"...

If you slapped a Ducati, or BMW name on the side of this bike before telling anyone what is was they'd be in LOVE with it. Especially if you put a modern marvel, single sided swingarm on it :) The bike is COOL! As are the Buell XB's. I'm not sure how you can spend time around them, examining them, on them, riding them and not like them. They are not world beaters, they are streetbikes. Very rideable neat streetbikes.

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 9/11/2007 10:09 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
masbuell said...
If you slapped a Ducati, or BMW name on the side of this bike before telling anyone what is was they'd be in LOVE with it.

i dunno about the 'anyone' part.  i have no brand loyalty so my take on the buell would not change but i do agree that there are people that do dig the badges and buy it based solely on the badges.

Moto-Pat
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2005
Total Posts : 1181

Posted 10/12/2007 6:28 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I see the B-king in first ride in Motorcyclist that it has the new Busa engine and it has not been detune for the street although they claim it is down 10 hp from the Busa. That exhaust could take 10 off off anything. Yes it only has 180 HP! Lou could you approve, maybe? They said your arm get worn out just trying to hold on. If you toss those Bat-cycle cans you have a bad bad bike. Only down is she tips in over 500 lb.

masbuell
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2005

Posted 10/16/2007 7:40 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Can't you just see the Burger King King riding a B-King around Laguna Seca, toying with the real racers, handing out Whoppers along the way and then spiking a Whopper across the finish line?burger:p

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 10/16/2007 11:58 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Moto-Pat said...
I see the B-king in first ride in Motorcyclist that it has the new Busa engine and it has not been detune for the street although they claim it is down 10 hp from the Busa. That exhaust could take 10 off off anything. Yes it only has 180 HP! Lou could you approve, maybe? They said your arm get worn out just trying to hold on. If you toss those Bat-cycle cans you have a bad bad bike. Only down is she tips in over 500 lb.

It is for a different type of person than me, so My approval (or disapproval) doesn't count smilewinkgrin .  My perverse nature would be a desire to come up on one, and pick it off, as it struggles with the weight, getting through a corner lol .  I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for that to happen though, a B-King rider isn't likely to come up the mountain, on a paved wagon road.  That rider would choose a pass over the mountain that Gold wings and Harley baggers and tour buss's would use ;-)

martinjmpr
08 Triumph Scrambler

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 4681

Posted 10/16/2007 12:51 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
masbuell said...
Can't you just see the Burger King King riding a B-King around Laguna Seca, toying with the real racers, handing out Whoppers along the way and then spiking a Whopper across the finish line?burger:p

and saying:

Martin

Denver, CO

UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) Fanatic

exlege
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 1

Posted 7/9/2008 8:22 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just brought home the '08, GSX650F. I've been out of the game for a while and this bike rides great. Lots of power, comfortable, handles very well and looks cooler than shit, plus the price was right. I look forward to adding some miles to it.

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 7/9/2008 3:25 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It HAS gotten some very positive reviews!

Enjoy.

Ride Safe and welcome.

Pics? Planned upgrades?

Ron's BKing
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 1

Posted 5/4/2010 8:01 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, most of the above comments are 3 years old, so my thoughts might be a mute point. I did purchase one of the B-Kings here in Raleigh, NC in 2008 and 12,000 miles later, I still love it. I've always had Honda's, 1970 CB-750, Nighthawks, a 1975 Goldwing and a 99 Valkyrie, so, obviously, "Sports Bike" riding is a new thing for me at 63 years old. I guess you'd say, this is my "mid-life crisis", but what a thrill!! Other than a TRE, I've left everything stock and it's worked for me. I can raise a little he-- with the best of them and certainly make those young guys use what they've got. It's been a lot of fun learning to ride the twisties with other sports bike riders. The machine is designed to go through the curves, it's a matter of learning how to relax, point and shoot and just do it.
Maybe I would have some of the negative attitudes that are depicted above if I had had other sports bikes in the past, but I don't know the difference, so the B-King certainly serves my purpose at my age in life and it's quiet. I never realized how tiring it is to the brain to have all of that noise strapped to the frame. I can concentrate on learning new driving skills, instead of trying to "make more noise" than the next guy. Just a quirk, cause I still love to hear those pipe sounds from other riders, until I get tired and pass them by. SMILE!! Ride Fast Ride Safe- Ron's Bking