Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Sportbike > 2008 Honda CBR1000RR - First Look  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
39 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

bmadson
MCUSA Scribbler

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2005
Total Posts : 1039

Posted 9/28/2007 5:53 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Honda superbike aficionados rejoice! American Honda Motor Company announced today an important addition to its 2008 motorcycle lineup: the CBR1000RR. Check out the MotorcycleUSA 2008 Honda CBR1000RR - First Look

Smitty
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 9/28/2007 6:35 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Interesting I must admit.  I have yet to figure out if they still have an electronically controlled steering head stabalizer.  Also I FEEL the heel of my right boot will be making contact with the can for on both the 929 & 954 I leave scratch marks on the larger/broader part of the right side of the swinging arm.

Though also see I will have to hack away some ABS plastic on both sides to put on frame sliders.

Mind you if Honda said they would give me a fair price on the 929 or 954 I would not mind latching onto the '08 1000.  Well last year they were asking if I was willing to allow them to sell the 954----financially it was a matter driving m/c shops to not have any decent recent fairly new models.

Saddle height a hair lower & clip-ons back a bit more with a decent height.  Honda has always tried to offer a sensible rider position.

I would honestly like to see the bikes on the floor for printed colours of these do not have me excited, but the slipper clutch is of interest since I had to make it some distance home in 6th gear only last week---which was quite an ordeal. 

Oh yes if any of your remember me having to struggle through two towns, one small city (stop lights to stop signs) & in these mtn roads plus up to my steep home with 6th gear only.  I actually obtained the "Bar Change" as Honda call it was requested on Sept. 22th, not in stock so had to be ordered from the Dist, to also be mailed to me & arrived here Sept 27th & had it on the 949 later this morning during the rain.  Bit on the costly side here being $27.86.  Still this is a rainy Autumn so I have the itch to ride either the 929 or 954 & since I robbed the 954 of said bar it went on the 945 meaning I will ride the 954 first chance I get.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 9/29/2007 1:50:07 AM GMT

flickmeister
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2004
Total Posts : 1021

Posted 9/28/2007 9:59 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Looks like most are uglier and heavier. As far as I am concerned, the two most purposeful, functional, and best looking sportbikes were the '04-05 ZX10R & '05-06 GSXR1000 in the literbike class. So far, none of the new stuff impresses me enough to consider anything but keeping what I got. Guess we'll have to see how it all comes down in the literbike shootout. I figure the Yamaha has to come in last and it'll be interesting to see if the new Kwakker or Honda can dethrone the Zuk. Two unknowns versus the illustrious leader versus the has-been. Hmmmmm.....

636ADAM
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 2110

Posted 9/28/2007 11:30 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Something about the yellow and black version makes me dumb founded....I love it.

Don't look at me!
Adam

DannyZRC
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 3

Posted 9/29/2007 1:32 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the photo with the 2 x 2 throttle bodies is a mistake.

though the article doesn't explicitly state engine configuration, I feel I can safely assume the CBR designation indicates it's inline engine.

though, there's always hope for a V4 ;)

Vee Crunchy
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2006
Total Posts : 18

Posted 9/29/2007 5:01 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It seems to me that this is the first bike of the decade that will not be playing catch up with GSX-R1000 but will actually raise the game to the new level. Doesn't take a professor to see that this is a trully special bike. Well done for honda and congratulations to honda fans!

YellowDuck
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 4130

Posted 9/29/2007 6:20 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hope it looks better in person. Really not digging the bodywork.

Cynicism is what passes for insight among the mediocre - Joe Klein

jimmihaffa
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2004
Total Posts : 217

Posted 9/29/2007 6:27 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Some have said that the new CBR has borrowed styling elements from the Duc1098.  Personally, I see a lot of 86 GSX-R1000 influences in this bike.  The bike looks absolutely stripped and devoid of frivoloties. The plastic seems to be just enough to provide some aerodynamic benefit and thats it.  The chassis sort of looks like the old gixxer too, kind of high in the center with a short wheelbase and very steep rake.  The frame and swingarm do not look overbuilt as with the latest sportbike designs. Parts seem to be cut down to the simplest elemental and lightweight design. This could be the mean junkyard dog lightweight of the 08 crop.  Whether it has enough oomph to stay with the new ZX10 is another issue.  I'm sure this years Kawi is packing a ton of motor, but we'll see. It's going to be a great shootout.

usmc36
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 2

Posted 9/29/2007 7:53 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It took a minute or two to see enough pics, but I like...really like...One of the sharpest looking Hondas to hit the scene in some time.  I think the reviewers comment is likely spot on in saying that seeing pics only does not do it justice...so what if it has styling cues similar to other good looking bikes out.  Imitation is a form of flattery.  As a Honda fan, I'm glad they were able to put the looks in one of their packages.  If performance is in the ball park, Honda may pull many from the other camps into the fold. One of the Euro Honda websites actually shows it with some of the add on accessories (i.e. bubble windscreen, cowl, undertail and carbon fiber front fender) and it looks even sharper.  As for those who don't like it, that's perfectly fine with me.  To each his own, and that will mean fewer look a likes on the street if I can convince the wife to let me get one.

Follow the leader, he's on a HONDA!!!!!!roll

Ada Ada
Psychedelic Relic

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 297

Posted 9/29/2007 9:42 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I still just want the 2007 GSXR orange and black:

Kenny
MCUSA - Editorial Director

Date Joined Apr 2003
Total Posts : 484

Posted 9/29/2007 10:41 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
We just added the specs and Honda PR highlights in a Page 2. The CBR is an in-line 4 cylinder. I am not sure what the 4 x 4 throttle body is doing in the gallery either but good eye.

According to Adam this bike is actually pretty bad-ass in person.

Fire it up Holmes!

Ada Ada
Psychedelic Relic

Date Joined Jul 2006

Posted 9/29/2007 4:39 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There is a ton of information on the page 2 spec sheet, but no mention of weight. It's undoubtedly very, very heavy and they don't want you to know how heavy.

Kenny
MCUSA - Editorial Director

Date Joined Apr 2003
Total Posts : 484

Posted 9/29/2007 5:18 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
No one ever puts the weights out there in the beginning. Not even Kawasaki when they released the new ZX-10, nor did Suzuki on the GSX-R600 & 750 so just wait (get it? Just wait... ha ha) until the weights are released. The CBR600RR wasn't a pig but they waited to unleash those figures as well. You dont want to tip your entire hand right out of the gate do ya? Adam says the CBR felt lighter when he sat on them and tossed them around in the studio. Take it for what its worth of course... He says the ZX feels thin, tall and heavy like a 1098, while the CBR front-end looks similar to a 1098 & felt more compact.

Fire it up Holmes!

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 9/29/2007 6:12 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

When Honda made the big step from the 900 to the 929 in '00 here in Cdn choice of colours was a stupid Dark Purple with Red to some White, Black with some White, & the Black with Yellow.  My pick was the Black with some White. Something the Americans could not obtain.  So many went buggy over the Yellow & Black which so many of us called "bumble bee". 

Now I have to admit that the lovely Suzy 1000 in black & orange which is more like a  black & gold/orange, BUT it does come out as a Harley Davidson trade colour.

The beauty of the Suzy GSXR with a pearl white & two different shades of blue. basically stripes, are still the best one can possibly come across.

Just a thought or two THOUGH on mind at the original CBR1000 in '04 I noted it was becomming fatter & heavier so one reason I looked around for a '03 954 still in the crate.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 10/5/2007 9:46:26 PM GMT

motorwerks919
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2005
Total Posts : 341

Posted 9/30/2007 2:39 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The italian Honda website lists the dry weight as 180kg (same as last year), I hope this is typo, because I will be very dissapointed if the bike isn't lighter.

Dimensioni (LxLxA) 2.075 × 685 × 1.130 mm
Interasse 1.405 mm
Inclinazione cannotto di sterzo 23° 18'
Avancorsa 96,3 mm
Raggio di sderzata 3,2 m
Altezza della sella 820 mm
Altezza da terra 130 mm
Massima capacità di carico 180 kg
Peso in ordine di marcia 199 kg (A: 105 kg; P: 94 kg)
Peso medio 379 kg (con 2pp e bagagli)

Vee Crunchy
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2006
Total Posts : 18

Posted 9/30/2007 5:06 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kenny said...
No one ever puts the weights out there in the beginning. Not even Kawasaki when they released the new ZX-10, nor did Suzuki on the GSX-R600 & 750 so just wait (get it? Just wait... ha ha) until the weights are released...
globalsuzuki.com lists the dry wheight of GSX-R600K8 at 163 kg (359lbs.) and GSX-R750K8 at 165kg (364lbs.). So a tad heavier that K7, probably due to that muffler.

designeraccd
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 38

Posted 10/1/2007 3:36 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Functionally this new set of disjointed lumps may be gr8, but visually this thing is the most "confused" bike Honda has done in a long time....kinda the Pontiac Aztek of motorcycles...UGH. And to think the CB 450 was critisized back in 1965!  DFO  smhair

kteeter2188
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 10/1/2007 7:35 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am sure Honda has not ceased to raise the bar on performance of literbikes like they did with supersports with the 600rr this past year, but my god it looks horrible. HOPEFULLY, it will look better in person....I'm looking forward to it

Smax
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 2871

Posted 10/2/2007 12:30 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I like the looks and the detail is sharp. I'm lovin' the new exhaust treatments; they're getting closer...

Scoot-jockey. gsx-r 1100

stratrat010
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 17

Posted 10/3/2007 7:40 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Why "izzit" that people constantly place form over function <>in regards to the most technologicly advanced machines ever devised ?

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 10/3/2007 8:09 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
cuz there's no reason for the bike not to be great looking as well as great performing. All superbikes are fantastic performers today so why pick an ugly one? If you can make the argument that a bike needs to be ugly to achieve max performance, I'm all for hearing it.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Chaos
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2007
Total Posts : 1030

Posted 10/3/2007 8:20 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
how bout a fairing that is big enough to accomodate people bigger than hobbits, and a windscreen that actually diverts wind blast up and over your head. Wouldn't that count as ugly to achieve max performance?

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 10/3/2007 10:40 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Why should a big fairing be ugly? If it's styled right. I know beauty is in the eye of the beer holder etc etc, but when BMW first put on that big fairing on the R100 to make it the R100Rs, man I thought that thing was hot. Still do.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Ada Ada
Psychedelic Relic

Date Joined Jul 2006

Posted 10/3/2007 11:05 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

For some reason, I cannot get into Hondas. They are vanilla, to me. I had a Honda Blackbird a few years ago.  It was very, very nice but was also very uninspiring, for some reason. Bland. No personality. That's what Honda means to me. Whereas a GSXR means badass excitement, like Hayabusa does.

I know this will be a great bike on paper and to test, but it will never get me into the Honda dealer's showroom.

nono

maxhonda
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2007

Posted 10/3/2007 11:08 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
hello to all I call maximum
hour I of this forum make part also