Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Sportbike > 2008 Yamaha YZF-R125 - First Look  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

bmadson
MCUSA Scribbler

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2005
Total Posts : 1039

Posted 10/17/2007 3:33 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It's not headed Stateside, but the YZF-R125 is an important new '08 model for Yamaha. Find out why in MotorcycleUSA's 2008 Yamaha YZF-R125 - First Look article.

sockjohn
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2006
Total Posts : 588

Posted 10/17/2007 4:30 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
bmadson said...
It's not headed Stateside, but the YZF-R125 is an important new '08 model for Yamaha. Find out why in MotorcycleUSA's 2008 Yamaha YZF-R125 - First Look article.

I saw the suggested MSRP, and it would be hard to compete with a Ninja 250 in the US! Tiered licensing elsewhere will make it a popular bike however!

What would a Ninja 250 with a KLX300 motor weight? bigger motor, less weight likely.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 10/18/2007 11:23 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The Yam would be miserable in the US unless tiered licensing is introduced. Nothing about price, but about power. IMO the 250 Ninja is about as slow a bike can be and still be safe in traffic in LA. It's a great learning tool, but any less motor than that could be scarey.
Bring in a 250 version of the Yam, then sell a bunch. Kawi sells a bunch of it's 250 with no competition. Amazing that the other mfgs haven't noticed.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

GAMBLER
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2007
Total Posts : 40

Posted 10/19/2007 12:48 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
wish Aprilia would bring back the RS250
so many rumors floating an update, but with emissions regs what they are I doubt it

can the MUSA gurus confirm or deny a new RS250 ready to be unleashed?

sockjohn
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2006
Total Posts : 588

Posted 10/19/2007 3:11 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
GAMBLER said...
wish Aprilia would bring back the RS250
so many rumors floating an update, but with emissions regs what they are I doubt it

can the MUSA gurus confirm or deny a new RS250 ready to be unleashed?

In the US, you may never see a two stroke street bike again due to emissions regulations.

Take a look at how few two stroke scooters are able to meet the regs, the only I know of is the Aprilia SR50

I would love to be proven wrong though, even though I wouldn't buy one.

bmadson
MCUSA Scribbler

Date Joined Jul 2005
Total Posts : 1039

Posted 10/19/2007 3:45 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The latest tier of emissions requirements make it tough for two-strokes but the Yamaha Zuma was able to return as an '08 model, so maybe two-stroke technology will catch up to the new requirements. Husqvarna sells its 2007 SM125 two-stroke in Europe in compliance with Euro III regs, which the latest EPA regs mirror. http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=3988&Page=1

GAMBLER
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2007
Total Posts : 40

Posted 10/21/2007 12:23 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
direct injection

spikedlemon
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 6

Posted 1/12/2008 4:54 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Bah. The CBR125 is available in Canada and has sold VERY successfully. My local dealer was sold out before the end of the season.

The "small bikes won't sell" theory is false as long as it looks the part and its targeted well. Honda Canada targeted new riders with a bundled package of new jacket, pants and gloves.

Drunkula
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2006
Total Posts : 539

Posted 1/14/2008 5:31 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Now unless I'm mistaken, Bimota had a 500cc 2 stroke not too long ago that was surprisingly clean, emissions-wise. Somebody above mentioned direct injection. I think that is what they used. Why can't the other mfg's use that technology? I'd love to have a modern 2 stroke sport bike!

vegasfz6
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2005
Total Posts : 37

Posted 1/14/2008 7:55 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Drunkula said...
Now unless I'm mistaken, Bimota had a 500cc 2 stroke not too long ago that was surprisingly clean, emissions-wise. Somebody above mentioned direct injection. I think that is what they used. Why can't the other mfg's use that technology? I'd love to have a modern 2 stroke sport bike!
I think you're talking about the VDue.  It was supposed to be the second coming of street 2 strokes, unfortunately it didn't work out so well and almost bankrupted Bimota (again).shakehead

~My choice is what I choose to do, and if it's causing no harm it shouldn't bother you. BH~

GeoffG
Instant Classic

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 10791

Posted 1/14/2008 9:38 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Desmolicious said...
The Yam would be miserable in the US unless tiered licensing is introduced. Nothing about price, but about power. IMO the 250 Ninja is about as slow a bike can be and still be safe in traffic in LA. It's a great learning tool, but any less motor than that could be scarey.

What, there are no scooter riders in LA? Is traffic really so scary that you need a power/weight ratio approaching that of a Formula 1 racecar in order to survive? Or is it that all Americans weigh over 200 lb?

Here in Canada, the Honda CBR125R is doing quite well, thank you--and I'm sure a good many of 'em (I'd say most of 'em) are being ridden in city traffic. A small bike like that does just fine in the city, where the light weight and nimble handling makes them easy to manoeuver. They're ridden by LOTS of people in European cities, which have traffic too, if you don't know!

About the only place a 125 is gonna be "miserable" is on a 90mph freeway (and who wants to ride an arrow-straight 6-laner anyways?)--or, more likely, at the coffee shop where it's not gonna have the requisite bragging rights! I think Desmo's comment indicates an attitude prevalent in the US, which is that any vehicle MUST have gobs of power or it's not worth having. Bigger is Better! Which brings us to the Hummer...

YellowDuck
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 4130

Posted 1/14/2008 10:45 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You know what? Even at the coffee shop all the big swinging-dick types with their big sport bikes will want to sit on it just to see what it is like, and would also love to take it for a spin. Like I said before, the CB125R is an absolute giggle generator. Cool in kinda the same way that the old Yamaha 2-stroke pocketbike thingy was cool (RS50?). Just not as silly, and quite a bit more useful.

Cynicism is what passes for insight among the mediocre - Joe Klein

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 1/30/2008 5:29 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Geoff, my attitude re. the 250 comes from ownership of one...
So obviously I THOUGHT it was worth having by buying one. My experience with it changed my opinion. How about that?
p.s I weigh 150lbs.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

DaveR6
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2008
Total Posts : 1

Posted 2/28/2008 8:48 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
you said in your post that the new YZF 125 is "small-displacement", does it mean you can only ride it for short distances, that it's not made for long rides (4 to 5 hours on highways) ? Please explain. Thanks

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
yzf125gv2.jpg
  27KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 4245 time(s).