Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Sportbike > New Ducatis! Ducati 848 and 1098R, Monster 696  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
38 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

bmadson
MCUSA Scribbler

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2005
Total Posts : 1039

Posted 11/5/2007 4:28 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ducati unveils two new Superbike designs at the Milan Bike Show in the form of the mid-sized 848 and its '08 SBK racer, the 1098R. Check out MotorcycleUSA's 2008 Ducati 848 and 1098R - First Look

2008 Ducati Monster 696 - First Look

Post Edited (bmadson) : 11/6/2007 10:36:37 PM GMT

thesoapster
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 1408

Posted 11/5/2007 6:08 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Holy...

ianisme
Typical Bloody Brit!

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8211

Posted 11/5/2007 7:26 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Is it me or does the 848 look like a cross between a ZX6R and a Daytona 675?

The reason why man did not become the dominant species much sooner

fly2low
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2007
Total Posts : 56

Posted 11/5/2007 7:39 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The 848 sounds like tons of fun. If only they cut the price by $1-2k :).

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 11/5/2007 8:50 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
nice....still priced too high but nice.

Chaos
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2007
Total Posts : 1030

Posted 11/6/2007 1:22 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wow! That 848 in white looks hot!

Superlight
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2004
Total Posts : 113

Posted 11/6/2007 4:38 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If the 848 delivers on the marketing spin it will be a force to be reckoned with, even at $12,995. Remember, Japanese bike fans, that Ducatis tend to return more of the initial investment after a few years, softening the blow of a higher price.

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 11/6/2007 5:11 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ianisme said...
Is it me or does the 848 look like a cross between a ZX6R and a Daytona 675?

Looks like a 1098 with a rear seat :p

But I am seriously thinking of just waiting longer so I can buy an 848 instead of a GSX-R750 (I know, they are not perfectly comparable).

Drunkula
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2006
Total Posts : 539

Posted 11/6/2007 5:26 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hell if I wasn't happy with my '06 ZX6R I'd be looking for the nearest Ducati dealer. That 848 would fit the bill nicely!

Kenny
MCUSA - Editorial Director

Date Joined Apr 2003
Total Posts : 484

Posted 11/6/2007 8:05 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Damnitall folks. That 848 looks on paper to be quite the ride. Guess what? There's more. Ducati also ha a small Monster, which is nothing new. But they altered the appearance a bit just to shake things up. Bart's working on that piece now so print a 1098R or 848 image, snuggle up with it for now...

Fire it up Holmes!

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 11/6/2007 8:16 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kenny said...
so print a 1098R or 848 image, snuggle up with it for now...

Ow ow ow, paper cut!.....

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Superlight
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2004
Total Posts : 113

Posted 11/6/2007 9:10 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Still looking for the important new product announcement from Ducati. The 848 and 1098R are old news.

eparks11
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 117

Posted 11/6/2007 11:34 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am so stoked about the 848. I talked to the local dealer here last month about it; off the record they said people were already putting money down for it. So if anybody wants one for next riding season I suggest heading over to your nearest Ducati dealer ASAP and putting $500 down so they can hold one for you.

Man I hope Yamha, Kawai, and Honda follow suit and truly bring back the middle weights. I am just happy that we now have another option aside from the GSXR 750.

eparks11
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004

Posted 11/6/2007 12:35 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
And as far as the new monster goes; there is already a 20 page thread about it on the Ducati Monster message board. The general conciseness is if they change a few things on it they'll have a winner, but they have some issues. No one seems to like the tank vents, the subframe stands out too much, and people seem to be unsure about the headlight. Guys are already photoshoping the crap out of it to simulate what it will look like after they make some mods. I like the attached mock up. Once you black out everything it really brings the bike together better. However I've read no complaints about the new engine specs and performance numbers at all.

As for me, I really don't like the "X" pattern in the new trellis frame. I prefer the triangular pattern in the old monster frame. However I was never a fan of the old Monster 695 in general. The only monsters I like are the SR series. I am going to wait to see the big monsters before passing final judgment. They are always quite an upgrade over the base monster. However, this one does have some potential.
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
4.jpg
  100KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 645 time(s).

nochrome
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2004
Total Posts : 36

Posted 11/6/2007 2:02 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I definitely threw up in my mouth a little when I first saw it. Hated the pipes the most, but that's what Monster owners change first anyway.  A high output two-into-one would clean it up nicely. Blacking out the sub frame is a no-brainer (although it took Suzuki two years on the SV650), Ducati will probably do that before it comes to market, or next year, or on a "dark" model if the designer has a hissy.

I don't hate the vents, but I like them on the Griso anyway. Trends come and go, that one will be a minor pimple/acne scar in a few years.

Overall, though, I think it's too much like the Triumph S3. Then again, to me the 848 looks really like a daytona, so I guess ripping off Triumph is the way to go.

I predict another Monster restyle in five years or less.

Kenny
MCUSA - Editorial Director

Date Joined Apr 2003
Total Posts : 484

Posted 11/6/2007 2:26 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The 848 Doesn't look like a 675 to me. Step away from the Hooka and take another looka...

Fire it up Holmes!

Holmes
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2005
Total Posts : 495

Posted 11/6/2007 2:56 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That's a buncha nice looking bikes for sure. The seat on the 696 looks like it would be a ball-masher though (seems like it'll force you into the tank).

2006 Kawasaki Z750S
2006 Suzuki V-Strom 650
1976 Yamaha XS650
1973 Honda CB750

flickmeister
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2004
Total Posts : 1021

Posted 11/6/2007 10:17 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Considering what the GSXR750 costs, the 848 doesn't look all that unreasonable to me.

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 11/7/2007 6:45 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kenny said...
The 848 Doesn't look like a 675 to me. Step away from the Hooka and take another looka...

I think the 848 looks pretty much just like the 1098...

both of them remind me of a mix between the 05-06 cbr600rr and the 675 with fat trimmed off. However it does have plenty of styling characteristics that are completely unique. A lot of the stuff midway to the rear reminds me of the old Ducati Superbikes

Chaos
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2007
Total Posts : 1030

Posted 11/7/2007 6:46 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I like the ass end of the 848, and that pearl white colour is great.

eparks11
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004

Posted 11/7/2007 7:08 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
thesoapster said...

I think the 848 looks pretty much just like the 1098...

both of them remind me of a mix between the 05-06 cbr600rr and the 675 with fat trimmed off. However it does have plenty of styling characteristics that are completely unique. A lot of the stuff midway to the rear reminds me of the old Ducati Superbikes

Of course it could be argued (and has been) that the CBR and the 675 both borrowed their designs from the old 916. Aside from the split headlights I don't see it too much in the CBR, but there is no doubt in my mind the Triumph designers at least had one eye on the 916 when they designed that thing. The CBR on the other hand is just too fat to look like the 916. You need a V-twin or a 3 cylinder in order to pull off that look. 4 cylinders are just too wide.

So I guess one could claim the design has come full circle back to the originator.

AK Duc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 922

Posted 11/7/2007 11:58 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I actually like the looks of all 3.

I really like the looks and numbers of that 1098R! Maybe someday.

In the meantime, I'm glad I'm still loving my 'ol 996 but I sure miss my Monster.

Monsterless Markie

Current steeds in the stable: '07 KLR650, '05 Triumph Daytona 955i SE, '00 Ducati 996, '82 BMW R100S

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 11/7/2007 12:41 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Have any of you a print of the '08 Honda CBR1000RR for it stood out so well as well, but I would not want a white bike as it would show to much of the road grime of that week of riding.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

motorwerks919
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2005
Total Posts : 341

Posted 11/7/2007 7:00 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Smitty said...
Have any of you a print of the '08 Honda CBR1000RR for it stood out so well as well, but I would not want a white bike as it would show to much of the road grime of that week of riding.

Actually, white is the easiest color to keep clean, black is the worst.

eparks11
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004

Posted 11/8/2007 8:55 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Speaking oh white bikes...

For anyone interested, I ran across a Photoshopped Monster 696 attempting to show what a 2009 S4R might look like. Now this is bad ass; I want it.
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Photoshopped 2009 S4R.jpg
  424KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 13890 time(s).