Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Sportbike > 2009 BMW World Superbike S1000RR Unveiled  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

bmadson
MCUSA Scribbler

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2005
Total Posts : 1039

Posted 4/16/2008 4:50 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
BMW Motorrad makes it official - the German marque is diving into the superbike realm with a 1000cc motorcycle to contest the 2009 World Superbike Championship. Check out the photos and what we know so far in MotorcycleUSA's 2009 BMW Superbike S1000RR Unveiled!

Post Edited (bmadson) : 4/17/2008 2:05:14 AM GMT

jon
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 4/16/2008 5:17 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
looks good, thanks for sharing.  if it's not over priced like most of their bikes, it should be a good buy imo. the inline looks so much better than their other engine style. 

Moto-Pat
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2005
Total Posts : 1181

Posted 4/17/2008 5:20 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
With only 1000 units it will probably make a 1098R look like a bargin. With that said I'm glad there making the move. They have brought some great technology to motocycles in the past. With BMW, KTM, and maybe MV in the mix next year it should be interesting if nothing else. Can't say I ever remember there being 8 factory teams before. Okay Triumph it's time to step it up with the Daytona 1000 or what ever a in-line 3 can run. Anybody know?

YellowDuck
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 4130

Posted 4/17/2008 5:25 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I saw this on another site. Looks cool. I like this big transformation BMW has undergone in the last few years - and how they have done it without abondoning the cool tradtional boxers..,in fact, while simultaneously improving that product line immeasurably. Some very serious R&D resources getting applied to motorcylce design over there. What have we seen in the last few years? New inline four, new duolever suspension, a new parallel twin with unique balance shaft design and four different bikes built around that, and a new single with three different bikes built around it. Oh, and new ABS design, and don't forget a 122-hp air-cooled boxer!

I mean, holy smokes. Hard to keep up, and it all looks good.

Cynicism is what passes for insight among the mediocre - Joe Klein

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 4/17/2008 9:17 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think it's a great but anonymous bike. Unless you read the story you would have guesed it was a Japanese bike. Basically BMW has said to compete with the Japanese bikes they have to build a Japanese bike. They have discarded everything that they claimed was so great. No duolever or paralever suspension. Standard perimeter frame chassis. No shaft drive but chain drive. In line four motor.
So why buy this when you can buy the same thing from Suzuki or Kawaski or Honda or Yamaha for much much less? I mean, they even named it like a Japanese bike!  1000RR!

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Post Edited (Desmolicious) : 4/17/2008 5:21:43 PM GMT

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 4/17/2008 10:10 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
YellowDuck said...
I saw this on another site. Looks cool. I like this big transformation BMW has undergone in the last few years - and how they have done it without abondoning the cool tradtional boxers..,in fact, while simultaneously improving that product line immeasurably. Some very serious R&D resources getting applied to motorcylce design over there. What have we seen in the last few years? New inline four, new duolever suspension, a new parallel twin with unique balance shaft design and four different bikes built around that, and a new single with three different bikes built around it. Oh, and new ABS design, and don't forget a 122-hp air-cooled boxer!

I mean, holy smokes. Hard to keep up, and it all looks good.

You had me right up to those few words I highlighted and underlined.

The ABS on the f800 is a disaster IMO, and Motorcycle Consumer News on the f800GS, where at least there is an "on/off" switch, gave it faint, faint, praise indeed...actually implied the bike would be better off without it.  They did, however love the bike beyond that issue.

That plus the ongoing issues with the key recognition system which is prone to leaving you stranded tells me that BMW is stretching its R&D resources thin on some models.  This key problem has existed for 3 years with no fix yet.

Maybe Suzuki will follow BMW's lead and build outside its envelope; a boxer engine perhaps.tongue

sfarson
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2007
Total Posts : 118

Posted 4/18/2008 6:52 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Desmolicious said...
I think it's a great but anonymous bike. Unless you read the story you would have guesed it was a Japanese bike. Basically BMW has said to compete with the Japanese bikes they have to build a Japanese bike. They have discarded everything that they claimed was so great. No duolever or paralever suspension. Standard perimeter frame chassis. No shaft drive but chain drive. In line four motor.
So why buy this when you can buy the same thing from Suzuki or Kawaski or Honda or Yamaha for much much less? I mean, they even named it like a Japanese bike!  1000RR!

Yes... I-4's tend to have a lot of overlap with each other.  Have owned a number of them.  Even sold an MV two months ago because it was 95% the same as my '04 CBR1000RR... performance, weight, sounds, ergos, etc.  As blistering fast sport/race bikes are nowadays, with the rider not the bike determining the edge, have come to value highly the "experience" in getting from A to B.  Would note BMW has a way of injecting some pizazz into the I-4 based K-Bikes, like the K1200S.  Perhaps Munich will do so with the RR. 

Post Edited (sfarson) : 4/19/2008 2:58:08 AM GMT

RRSmurf
Smurfly yours

Date Joined Nov 2007
Total Posts : 11

Posted 4/18/2008 7:43 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Moto-Pat said...
With only 1000 units it will probably make a 1098R look like a bargin. With that said I'm glad there making the move. They have brought some great technology to motocycles in the past. With BMW, KTM, and maybe MV in the mix next year it should be interesting if nothing else. Can't say I ever remember there being 8 factory teams before. Okay Triumph it's time to step it up with the Daytona 1000 or what ever a in-line 3 can run. Anybody know?

I'd guess the triple would be allowed 1100cc, if you look at the supersport class - 600/4, 675/3 and 750/2...

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 4/19/2008 9:22 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
sfarson said...
  Would note BMW has a way of injecting some pizazz into the I-4 based K-Bikes, like the K1200S.  Perhaps Munich will do so with the RR. 
Not sure how.  The K12S differentiated itself with shaft drive, long swingarm, duolever front. Their RR has none of these.  It looks to be a carbon copy of all the other I-4s with the addition of traction control.  Something that Ducati already has in the 1098R, and everyone else will soon have.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

GeoffG
Instant Classic

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 10791

Posted 4/19/2008 10:59 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Desmolicious said...
So why buy this when you can buy the same thing from Suzuki or Kawaski or Honda or Yamaha for much much less? I mean, they even named it like a Japanese bike! 1000RR!

Yup. If ya can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Hope BMW is more successful at aping Japanese sportbikes than they were with their "American Cruiser" attempt (R1200C) eyes

Superlight
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2004
Total Posts : 113

Posted 4/19/2008 11:03 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I'd have to agree with Desmo on this one. Why on Earth would BMW want to emulate the Japanese in superbikes? Didn't they notice the sales problems Triumph had with the 600 Daytona, which also took on the Japanese Big Four? And how sales improved with their own engine configuration in the 675 triple?

Those who pay no attention to history are doomed to repeat it...

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 4/19/2008 11:15 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think the Germans just want to go racing, and have to sell a 1000 bikes to qualify for the class? Maybe? Isn't it the German nature?

Focus the forces, Be The Force

sqd8r
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2008
Total Posts : 1

Posted 5/10/2008 7:46 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The comment says BMW will produce 1000 units to go racing, not 1000 total. The homologation requirements are that 1000 units be built in the year the motorcycle is campaigned. I doubt BMW is only going to build 1000 units. As the new motorcycle head has stated BMW wants the motorcycle price to be competitive with the Japanese. A 1000 units would see 1098R and beyond pricing. My guess is the initial version will be produced in greater numbers and priced accordingly - 1098 pricing. With a race version akin to the 1098R at a premium. Obviously the market is there given what people were willing to pay for the Tri-colour and R1LE. smhair

The ABS is hardly a disaster. rolleyes Motorcycle Consumer is the only magazine to date to complain about the ABS and I certainly didn't think they implied that removing a safety feature was the way to go. One review is hardly conclusive and since it can be turned off on the fly, with motor running but motion stopped, it's a nice feature to have IMO. Ongoing key recognition problems... mountain out of a molehill methinks.

I do wish BMW had gone with the liquid cooled boxer but I can understand why BMW went I4. Not so much for the I4 superiority since twins rule in WSC :-) but because the supersport crowd more than any other motorcycle crowd are incredibly picky. Ducati stil gets a lot of flack for its "advantage" in racing can you imagine a boxer being accepted initially.

Somebody said...
They have discarded everything that they claimed was so great. No duolever or paralever suspension. Standard perimeter frame chassis. No shaft drive but chain drive. In line four motor.

I think you have to consider that 95% of the motorcycles BMW manufacturer have all of the aforementioned components so its obvious BMW are not abandoning any of the road-going tenets proven over the years. Consideration has to be given to the fact that all of these technologies were designed to make road-riding safer and more enjoyable for riders whose skill level is not on par with a professional racer. Finally, this is not the first time that BMW has introduced what is considered conventional technology for the sake of racing. When BMW has raced in the past they have made technological concessions as required for racing. The Dakar motorcycles sported conventional suspension as does the HP2 which was built for racing. Telelever could not accomodate the requirements of rally racing so instead of buring its head in the sand BMW employed a better solution for the extreme rigors of racing. The road-going technology that BMW has introduced on the road takes into consideration rider skill, or lack thereof, and less ideal tarmac, unlike the glasslike surface of a road course. BTW BMW has used a lot of the conventional technology over the years, telescopic forks since 1939 for example, so this is hardly a great departure for BMW.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 5/10/2008 8:37 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

IF(??) said new 1000 four becomes on the floor bikes to the public I do question that & if so the price cannot match the big Four from Japan to probably be even higher then Dukes.

I tend to go along with many of you along with sqd8r & his well thought out post.  It is a bit late for BMW to catch up with the others & to forget all their superior moves in suspension, safety of front end suspension & so much more in the boxer end.  Mind you I agree with GeoffG when it came to BMW's attempt to come out with a bike that would attract HD/Cruiser people being another failure.

We noted that when it came to good desert bike riding in competition AGAIN BMW had to follow the lines of other makers & we know that their 650cc single is again to be built by another firm, this time farther away in Korea & not Italy as some yrs ago.  Possibly they will get the flaws of electronics & ABS solved, but by that time my days or riding will be over.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 5/10/2008 4:40:18 PM GMT

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 5/10/2008 3:57 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
sqd8r said...
The ABS is hardly a disaster. rolleyes Motorcycle Consumer is the only magazine to date to complain about the ABS and I certainly didn't think they implied that removing a safety feature was the way to go. One review is hardly conclusive and since it can be turned off on the fly, with motor running but motion stopped, it's a nice feature to have IMO. Ongoing key recognition problems... mountain out of a molehill methinks.

Very funny considering I just rode my SECOND f800 home from the dealer because, just like the first, it failed to start with the key recognition problem.  So, molehill problem for you, a huge problem for me.

If it happens again I'm done with the brand.

Got rid of the first one with ABS because it failed on ME.

I'm talking about personal experience, you're talking about conjecture.

The ABS issue, however, is an f800 problem, not a BMW problem.

The key recognition problem is, evidently, common to many models.

I applaud BMW for pushing the envelope...but not for using owners as beta testers.

ducman1098s
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2008
Total Posts : 2

Posted 6/13/2008 10:22 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
As a Ducasti I am so glad to see this neat bike in WSBK. Oh yea this is great a real major performance mfg is in the fray. This will do really good things for all enthusiates with BMW involved. As to the price, my guess is 20k. Which with 190hp and traction control a bargin compared to the 1098r at 40k with 180hp.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 6/14/2008 11:38 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Bargain? Whatever the price, if it is in WSBK form, and produced in factory assembly, it is a bargain. Try doing it yourself and see what it costs.

Focus the forces, Be The Force