Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Sportbike > Touring Bikes  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
39 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

wrath186
There's something in your eye. Here let me get it

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 880

Posted 5/31/2011 8:25 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm getting close to getting another bike.  For the longest time I was considering a Concours 14, but the price tag, insurance and maintainence costs were giving me pause.  I've been looking at other bikes and have gotten it narrowed down to either the Concours, FZ1, Ninja 1000 or a Z1000.  I think all are great bikes, but I'm having a difficult time choosing one over the other.  I've read as many reviews as possible, but there just doesn't seem to be one bike that really outshines the others, so I've come here looking for opinions.

Any thoughts?

so I drink it... 

jon
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 5/31/2011 9:22 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
wrath186 said...
Any thoughts?

visit a multi-brand dealership and test ride all of them. if the dealer think you're serious about buying, they should not have a problem letting you test it. me personally, i would probably go with the z1000 or ninja for about $9k...

wrath186

Date Joined Jun 2003

Posted 5/31/2011 10:26 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jon, thanks, but oddly enough of the three dealers I went to in my area the only one willing to do a test ride was the HD dealer.  There was one that does test rides, but only on used models.  I am going to a bike show in July which Kawi, Yamaha and Suzuki will be present with their test fleets.  I'm just trying to get as much information and input as possible.

so I drink it... 

boscoe
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 27

Posted 6/5/2011 10:44 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Take a hard look at Harley. After years of ignoring the brand, I rode a 2010 Road King 103 engine with ABS - and bought it on the spot. Wonderful touring bike - I have 17K on it already and have seven other motorcycles in the garage!

At Daytona this year, I rode the Kawasaki, Victory and Triumph competitors to the H-D Glide series, which are Road Kings with fairings. The three I tested were nice bikes - Kawi and Victory felt a bit underpowered - but still preferred the Harley, and not because I owned it. I'm very objective about these things.
Also rode the new Ninja 1000, which would make a very strong sport tourer. Comfortable, less aggressive riding position. But the engine needs a kick in the mid-range pants. My 1997 Kawi ZX-11 feels like it would eat the Ninja's lunch and I know for sure my 2011 Honda CBR1000rr will. But it is a better choice than the Z-1, though the Ninja's plastic bits feel a bit cheap and cheesy.
You may want to look at the new Honda CBR 1000 (not the boy racer RR I have), which has wonderful fit and finish. However, I have not ridden this machine.
I also rode the Ducati Diavel earlier this month. Nice, but not totally impressed.
Hope this helps a bit.

GeoffG
Instant Classic

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 10791

Posted 6/5/2011 5:32 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hmmm...of the four you mention, one is a heavy "sport" tourer, while two are litre "nakeds" and one is a full-on sportbike (by "Ninja 1000," I assume you mean the ZX-10R).

If I was looking at a sport tourer, I'd be looking at a Moto Guzzi Norge...in fact, I am looking at one, just not very seriously. This is a bike with hard bags and a shaft drive, but it is lighter than the Concours and it seems to me it'd be more fun to ride (at least, anywhere that has corners...). Other bikes in this class are the FJR1300 and Honda ST1300, as well as some of the Beemers.

Naked bikes...my first choice would be the Triumph Street Triple (or Speed Triple, if you absolutely need 1000 cc--personally, I prefer the 675 after riding both), but there's also the Aprilia Shiver 750, or again their 1000 cc version, the Tuon0 (again, I've ridden neither of these). And as for sportbikes, they all kinda look the same to me, and I doubt most of us could tell much difference between them, performance wise...I will admit to preferring the looks of the Italian machines (eg Ducati--I love the 848, or 1198 if you need something larger).

So much out there. Have you considered any of the so-called "adventure" bikes? The Triumph Tiger 800 is getting some great reviews, and there are lots more in that class there to choose from.

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 6/5/2011 6:33 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
GeoffG said...
one is a full-on sportbike (by "Ninja 1000," I assume you mean the ZX-10R).

not the "ZX-10R". that poster referred to this ninja 1000:

GeoffG
Instant Classic

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 10791

Posted 6/5/2011 10:47 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OK, thanks. That looks a bit more reasonable, and perhaps a good alternative to a Concours 14. I haven't kept up with the larger bikes so much...not really on my radar, I prefer the smaller ones.

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 6/6/2011 12:41 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I rode the ninja thou. It was ok. good power,handled well, I just hated the looks of it though.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
empty slot needing to be filled miss the "wing"
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

wrath186

Date Joined Jun 2003

Posted 6/6/2011 10:56 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the feedback guys. 

I love riding cruiser and don't plan on getting rid of my Vulcan.  That said what I'm looking for is something different.  I had a BMW K1200GT a while ago and loved that bike.  That's why the C14 is my first pick.  The problem is cost, maintenance and insurance.  I'm trying to make sure that I have as much information as possible to make an informed decision. 

I did do some insurance shopping around for all of the bikes listed and found that insurance was going to go up a chunk.  Not that I didn't expect that, but what I didn't expect is that the premiums for the C14 were less than the FZ1, Z1000 and the Ninja 1000 even though they're smaller bikes.  My only speculation here is that more people are getting in accidents on them.

I'm going to a bike show in July and there are going to be some serious test riding going on .  I know the C14 will be there and it'll be the second time I've gotten on one.  I'm hoping to compare it to at least one of the others just to see if there is some sort of Ah-ha moment or if they're all basically the same. 

so I drink it... 

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 6/6/2011 12:28 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
wrath186 said...

I did do some insurance shopping around for all of the bikes listed and found that insurance was going to go up a chunk. Not that I didn't expect that, but what I didn't expect is that the premiums for the C14 were less than the FZ1, Z1000 and the Ninja 1000 even though they're smaller bikes. My only speculation here is that more people are getting in accidents on them.

yep, that's one factor. the thing is there are so many insurance companies and their underwriting guidelines can vary so much. some insurance companies go by the type of bike, some go by the size of the engine, some go by the bike's value, some go by claim rate (as you pointed out), etc. therefore, keep shopping until you find a policy you think it's fair to you.

years ago, i hit up allstate for a quote between a v-star 1100, a cbr954rr, and a vtx1800 and the rates were directly related to the bike's price (star=lowest, cbr=medium, vtx=highest). of course this can vary too depending on the locations, etc.

also have a friend that used to work in sales for a state farm agency in s.f., and all they go by is engine size. therefore, if you ride an eliminator 125, you're in heaven but if you ride a triumph rocket 3, forget about it.

Post Edited (jon) : 6/6/2011 7:34:46 PM GMT

el SID

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 6/6/2011 11:52 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ON a side addendum to what jon posted if you go with state farm make sure you use actual engine displacement.. ie. 1989 fzr 1000 is actually 998cc, fzr1000cc 40 extra bucks last time I checked.

current hacks
1996 honda vfr
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

wrath186

Date Joined Jun 2003

Posted 6/7/2011 12:37 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jon said...
wrath186 said...

I did do some insurance shopping around for all of the bikes listed and found that insurance was going to go up a chunk. Not that I didn't expect that, but what I didn't expect is that the premiums for the C14 were less than the FZ1, Z1000 and the Ninja 1000 even though they're smaller bikes. My only speculation here is that more people are getting in accidents on them.

yep, that's one factor. the thing is there are so many insurance companies and their underwriting guidelines can vary so much. some insurance companies go by the type of bike, some go by the size of the engine, some go by the bike's value, some go by claim rate (as you pointed out), etc. therefore, keep shopping until you find a policy you think it's fair to you.

years ago, i hit up allstate for a quote between a v-star 1100, a cbr954rr, and a vtx1800 and the rates were directly related to the bike's price (star=lowest, cbr=medium, vtx=highest). of course this can vary too depending on the locations, etc.

also have a friend that used to work in sales for a state farm agency in s.f., and all they go by is engine size. therefore, if you ride an eliminator 125, you're in heaven but if you ride a triumph rocket 3, forget about it.

I was told that too, by a Progressive rep. Also, that if the word "sport" was in the model of the bike it was automatically more.  The reasoning was that you would automatically ride faster.  eyes

so I drink it... 

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 6/7/2011 9:04 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
wrath186 said...
jon said...

wrath186 said...

I was told that too, by a Progressive rep. Also, that if the word "sport" was in the model of the bike it was automatically more. The reasoning was that you would automatically ride faster. eyes

the thing with "sport" bikes is that it is the preferred bike type for many young male riders. therefore, when you combined immature judgments with invincible attitudes that many young males have, the accident rate is higher for that demographic thus also tie it to that bike type.

in addition, sportbike theft rate are also pretty high because most of the thieves are also in that young male demographic and they are more attractive to sportbikes. therefore, some insurance companies do use probability and statistic and go by accident/theft claim rate.

of course, the ignorant type will just say "sportbikes are more dangerous". shakehead

el SID

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 6/8/2011 3:44 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My vfr 750 is considered a "sport touring" bike. Its cheap as chips $350 a year full coverage. 500k medical

current hacks
1996 honda vfr
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

boscoe
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 27

Posted 6/10/2011 6:59 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My 2011 CBR1000rr costs $1000 annually to insure with Progressive, the most expensive of all the bikes. HD Road King = 500, ZX-11= 500, GSXR 600 = 600, 1100 Virago = 350, 250 Rebel = 350, CVO Fatboy = 500; 2011 Deluxe = 500.
Hope this helps.
But all our cars (4) and houses (2) are with progressive

@jon: thank you for explaining my post! :-)

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 6/10/2011 11:26 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
boscoe said...
My 2011 CBR1000rr costs $1000 annually to insure with Progressive, the most expensive of all the bikes. HD Road King = 500, ZX-11= 500, GSXR 600 = 600, 1100 Virago = 350, 250 Rebel = 350, CVO Fatboy = 500; 2011 Deluxe = 500.
Hope this helps.
But all our cars (4) and houses (2) are with progressive

@jon: thank you for explaining my post! :-)

you're welcome boscoe. those rates are not too bad. good point about the multi-policy discounts because it can help quite a bit. one should always check with the company that insures the auto and home first.

roderickluise
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2011
Total Posts : 4

Posted 7/20/2011 1:07 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
the suspension of touring bikes is based on aerodynamics.

Post Edited (roderickluise) : 7/20/2011 8:11:28 AM GMT

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 7/20/2011 2:09 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
roderickluise said...
the suspension of touring bikes is based on aerodynamics.

??????

Focus the forces, Be The Force

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 7/20/2011 5:44 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
They must be filled continuously with air - quite a shock ehe Lou? LOL!

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 7/23/2011 9:18 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
^^^ Really  lol  And everyone knows you fill the suspension on touring bikes with electricity now, to make the electronic adjustments for load and compression and rebound settings.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Post Edited (louemc) : 7/23/2011 4:22:59 PM GMT

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 1408

Posted 7/23/2011 6:56 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
lol oh boy

If I was to get a touring machine (not just a standard with some luggage) I'd probably go BMW. I have a soft spot for the R1200.

wrath186

Date Joined Jun 2003

Posted 7/25/2011 8:56 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
BMW is a fantastic bike.  I had an '04 K1200GT at one time, but had to get rid of it.  Now I think that they're overpriced for what you get, especially considering that the C14 has almost all of the amenities and is several thousand dollars less. 

Just once, I'd like to be a puppet master and have nothing go wrong.  Is that too much to ask?

WhiteKnite
Exploring Korea

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 550

Posted 8/17/2011 10:34 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just wondering, did you ever settle on any of those bikes? I was going to buy an FZ1 but they are completely sold out in Korea until late fall when the new models (and yearly price hike) come. We have a limited selection of models available here, and the big Japanese ST bikes are over $20,000 so I started looking into naked standards, which then took me to a BMW dealership to look at the F800r, but then I ended up on an F800st. It actually ended up costing about the same financed, after interest is considred (12% Japanese vs 4% from BMW), as the little XJ6 yammie, which is the cheapest Japanese 600cc+ bike available here.

2010 Hyosung GV650
2011 BMW F800ST

wrath186

Date Joined Jun 2003

Posted 8/23/2011 7:39 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
For the most part I have.  I am still looking to test ride some of the Triumph offerings, but barring anything substantial I'm probably going to go with the Kawasaki Concours 14. I  had a chance to ride the C14, Ninja 1000, and FZ1 last month and the Kawi just amazed me.  Heat is still an issue, but a small one as far as I'm concerned.  Unless I hop on the Triumph and I just go, "WOOOOOOW!!!"  So it'll probably be the Concours 14.

Just once, I'd like to be a puppet master and have nothing go wrong.  Is that too much to ask?

WhiteKnite
Exploring Korea

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 550

Posted 8/23/2011 8:40 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Last year I rented one of those C14's for a day. It's a nice bike, and probably what I would have been looking at if I did more highway riding. My wife tried her best to convince me we needed a big tourer, but 95% of the time she doesn't ride with me. Still definitely on the list of bikes I might buy when we move back to the states. Not really the best for the tight Korean mountain roads I usually ride.

2010 Hyosung GV650
2011 BMW F800ST